Hi Guys,

As any owner of a PB tablet (and pleased of it in conjunction of my BB9800), the boot up time is, hum, let's say quite slow. I would say easily 5 minutes on a good day.
    It is not for the number of times that it is required to do it but still.

Anyway, I noticed that if I have my PB on the rapid charging pod (kindly offer for my birthday a few month ago by my girlfriend eheh) and switch it on, it takes muuuuuuch leeeessss time to boot up. I would say under 1 minute.

Has anyone else experienced the same ?

It is not a lot (still something while waiting for 2.1 after the surprise/joke of 2.0.1.668) but it makes me kinda please.
    08-07-12 12:52 PM
    Make sure its a reboot and not just powering on and test again.
    08-07-12 12:53 PM
    just in case - a countryside socket
    Damian

ps
    never shut down once on the socket - what for?
    08-07-12 01:11 PM
    00'00" : push on "restart" button
    00'10" : background disappears but back-light still on
    00'40" : Complete shutdown
    00'50" : Beginning of bootup with little red light and next all the funny colours
    03'25" : Screen asking for password
    03'30" : Password given (at my own slow pace eheh ) and apps ready to be opened, wifi connected, etc.

This means 2 minutes and 35 seconds.

I re-did the test but being without any power supply connected and ...

It took the bl**dy same time !!! to the second !!!

Ok, I'm ridiculus now. But still, this is much faster than before !
    ( -> [] ok, I leave now...sorry for the noise chaps'...)
    08-07-12 01:36 PM
    I think someone said this last week, that if its plugged in, its already like half-booted and takes alot less time to start up.
    Chaddface and peter9477 like this.
    08-07-12 02:09 PM
    Maybe that it uses the 'extra power source' to give more power to the system -> run the processor on a higher speed and use more battery. (Compensated by the charger)

That looks the solution to me ?
    jononku likes this.
    08-07-12 02:25 PM
    I think someone said this last week, that if its plugged in, its already like half-booted and takes alot less time to start up.
    I believe this is the answer.
    08-07-12 02:28 PM
    I just had to try this.....from start up (off)

Try #1. 1min. 49sec.
    Try #2. 1min. 45sec.

Not under a minute, but much better than 3-4 min.
    08-07-12 04:52 PM
    I never really cared about the boot time as I rarely reboot or turn off for that matter. My phone on the other hand gets rebooted every night just before I go to bed.
    08-07-12 08:30 PM
    Yep, when plugged in it is turned on to some degree. Easier to notice on a completely dark room (i.e: at night), as you will be able to see that the LCD is backlit through the whole charging process.
    08-07-12 08:42 PM
    my playbook takes 4min 4 sec to boot up

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-07-12 09:12 PM
    Since the PlayBook doesn't actually charge when off, what happens when you plug it in is that (if not already on), it turns itself on and boots up into a special charging mode. That takes some time, like 45 seconds or something, which is why you don't immediately see the pulsating LED which indicates charging.

Notice when it's charging, that after you press the power button it jumps almost straight to the "spotlight" animation. That's more evidence that it's already running and therefore doesn't have to spend as long booting up.

You could call this a faster boot time, but in reality it's just splitting the boot process up into two stages. It's even possible the overall time is longer, by a bit, but that would be difficult to measure precisely, and unimportant too...
    antiRIM and solomon_grundy like this.
    08-08-12 01:33 PM
    mine takes 3:15 to power up from a power down (not standby), to long in my opinion. I did a security wipe and tried again, same time so that didn't help.
    I have a 16gb model.
    08-08-12 01:46 PM
    Mine starts just as I hit the power button.. just that I cant do much with it until around 2-3 minutes.. Personally, I don't know what I would even do with those 2-3 minutes that I would save..
    08-09-12 01:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD