I just purchased a brand new Playbook. Is it normal for it to take 2 to 3 or 4 minutes to power up once it is turned on? I have been used to using my wife's iPad 2 and it is much quicker than my playbook to come on.
    Maybe I should do a Hard Reset...would this help any?
    Last edited by Dan Cretsinger; 01-24-13 at 09:00 PM. Reason: second question
    01-24-13 08:51 PM
    I just purchased a brand new Playbook. Is it normal for it to take 2 to 3 or 4 minutes to power up once it is turned on? I have been used to using my wife's iPad 2 and it is much quicker than my playbook to come on.
    Yep, although if you keep it regularly charged it won't be something you'll be doing very frequently. Apparently BB10's start up time is to be significantly quicker, so we'll all just have to hang in for a bit.
    01-24-13 08:55 PM
    Thank you. I guess we should be able to download the BB10 OS onto our playbook...correct?
    01-25-13 12:38 PM
    It has not been released for the playbook yet, hopefully soon! I typically leave my PB in "stand By" mode most of the time and every couple weeks I do a full reboot.
    Thank you. I guess we should be able to download the BB10 OS onto our playbook...correct?
    01-25-13 12:41 PM
    I think I've turned my PlayBook off a total of 5 times in almost 2 years. Its really not necessary to turn the PlayBook off. I leave mine on standby all the time. Battery drainage slows down considerably when in standby.
    DC506 and RubberChicken76 like this.
    01-25-13 02:11 PM
    The startup will be a lot faster when you connect your playbook to a powersource. You could get a <2 min boot time
    Spencerdl likes this.
    01-25-13 02:13 PM
    Haha. You should do a duel with the iPad. Leave the PB in "standby" and swipe bezel to bezel. Press the home key on the iPad. Which one does the screen come up first on?
    01-25-13 02:15 PM
    The only time I've "booted" or "rebooted" the PlayBook was when it came out of the box, or got an OS update. It's been in Standby for almost all of it's life. Simple swipe up and login. Drives iPad users nuts to see that.
    01-25-13 03:56 PM
    2 mins 20secs for both my 64 gb Playbooks.....there was another post about this a while back.
    01-25-13 04:08 PM
    Yep it is normal as i just my PB in dec new version andit takes at least 3 min to boot maybe 4 min but it is longtime.

I am going to use suggestions here to use standby mode more often or always when not in use. I hardly reboot it, but at times i do due to the browser hanging at times, but now i just turn wifi and mobile off and on and it usually does the trick and at times i take java and flash off and on
    01-25-13 04:30 PM
    I would strongly suggest that you turn Wi-Fi off before going into standby mode. Granted you will not get emails during that time but that is really the point. When the radio is pinging the email servers every 15 mins all day long, it eats your battery. Standby mode is the best answer. Or you can do what I do and shut it off at night and turn it on first thing in the morning once you're done hammering the alarm button on your alarm clock or cellphone. It will have booted up by the time you come back from the morning bathroom routine.
    Cracklen likes this.
    01-25-13 07:29 PM
    I use Airplane mode before using standby.
    01-25-13 09:37 PM
    Yep, I put my PB in "Airplane Mode" every night and then put battery in "Stand By" mode to conserve power until I wake it with one swipe in the morning and turn the "Airplane Mode" off again. I only do a complete power off when rebooting once a month or so.
    01-25-13 09:59 PM
    My playbooks go on the docks overnight.
    01-26-13 12:28 AM
    My playbooks go on the docks overnight.
    Hello sailor...
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    01-26-13 04:32 AM
    the reason apparently for the 3 minute boot time is that blackberry prefered to load up all drivers for playbook at boot.so no hanging after boot up when accessing different apps/programs.most tablets only load up the bare minimum of drivers at boot up to give a fast time between 30 secs and a minute.which is all well and good but then you may have to wait longer for programs to load after bootup as tbey may require driver load.to be honest 3 minutes is not a long time out of our lives to wait.and its not anything wrong with the playbook,and it only requires a fresh boot maybe once a week at most just to keep it optimized.
    Banco and nappp like this.
    01-26-13 05:29 AM
    Oh is that why? I didn't know that.
    01-26-13 05:37 AM
    Hello sailor...
    Marine
    01-26-13 11:08 AM
    Marine
    Marines hanging around the docks is even worse...
    01-26-13 11:13 AM
    2 mins 20secs for both my 64 gb Playbooks.....there was another post about this a while back.
    +1

Malcolm.
    01-26-13 12:19 PM
    I think I've turned my PlayBook off a total of 5 times in almost 2 years. Its really not necessary to turn the PlayBook off. I leave mine on standby all the time. Battery drainage slows down considerably when in standby.
    ________

Putting your PB on Standby definitely results in a faster boot-up. But to not shut down PB . . . wow . . . I am surprised if its battery does not drain faster. I'll give it a try and experiment for a couple of days. I'll use Battery Guru to check on its status.
    01-26-13 02:25 PM
    Or you can do what I do and shut it off at night and turn it on first thing in the morning once you're done hammering the alarm button on your alarm clock or cellphone. It will have booted up by the time you come back from the morning bathroom routine.
    _____

Sounds like a sensible and safe way if you can't stand the long boot-up time (and yes, it does take at least 2 minutes when not in Standby mode)
    01-26-13 02:28 PM
    Except for reboots, my PlayBook has never been shut down in close two years now. Standby is the way to go.
    01-30-13 04:04 PM
    Leave the PB in "standby" and swipe bezel to bezel.

You learn something new everyday!
    01-30-13 04:39 PM
    Yes....just leave it on...I do and its fine....
    01-30-13 05:16 PM
28 12