Hi fellow Blackberry addicts, ive recently bought a Playbook and a 9900 and lovin the both of them and they are tethered together which got me wondering. I have seen a YouTube film of a Apple blue tooth keyboard and a Apple magic mouse being used with the Playbook, are they easy to set up and use as i am thinking of purchasing them. I know they are meant for the Apple Mac and you programme the mouse but is it easy to set up on a Blackberry Playbook. I dont want to spend money if i am going to find out they dont work etc etc. Any pointers suggestions would be appreciated. Great site by the way.
    12-25-11 01:35 PM
    i hope someone knows as been looking into this as well and not found much at all
    12-25-11 02:03 PM
    12-25-11 02:21 PM
    12-25-11 02:23 PM
    I do like the HP Touch the sort of thing i am looking for along with a mouse thats why i was looking at the Apple keyboard and mouse. Ideally if any one has purchased one and set it up on theirs if it was easy to set up.
    12-25-11 02:43 PM
    Personally, I use the Palm 3245WW Bluetooth Keyboard. It's not widely available anymore, but it works well with my PlayBook if you can find one.
    12-25-11 03:16 PM
    Typing this post with the HP Touchpad Keyboard, works very well and its also cheap and very well built, its as nice as the Apple Wireless Pad!!

Fair enough the shortcut keys don't work (media controls, etc) but then its for the Touchpad not the Playbook.

Need a mouse but might look at Apple Wireless Mice if they work alright.
    12-25-11 03:56 PM
    And, if you can wait (and possibly wait and wait and wait), Rim is supposedly coming out with their own bt keyboard (and trackpad on it). But, waiting is the issue.....
    12-25-11 04:22 PM
    There's the Hip Street one and the Microsoft bluetooth one (But this one is big)
    12-25-11 04:53 PM
    The Hip Street doesn't have a mouse/trackpad. I was looking for something like that but not too expensive.
    12-25-11 05:01 PM
    Depending on what you want to do, I bought the teeny-tiny Candyboard bluetooth keyboard. It won't work for touch typing but does have a trackpad that works really well. It is about the size of the slideout keyboard on my phone with a little added length for the trackpad. Fits in a shirt pocket so is really portable. It has ctrl, alt, del, esc, left click, right click, pg up, pg dn, tab and arrow keys, as well as 11 fn keys. Works for me. I will use this gem at least until the official BB keyboard comes out, and probably even after that if I don't need to touchtyoe just because it is so easy to carry.
    12-25-11 05:41 PM
    I have the apple wireless keyboard which automatically (99%) of the time will connect up with the playbook when starting up. It works fantastic.

I tried the apple magic mouse as well but I found that I was missing the scrolling feature for webpages and kept on my search for another mouse. The Dell Bluetooth travel mouse which is made my Logitech I have founds works the best when you include the fact the mouse scroll button works on webapages very well. I recommend this mouse the best after trying several so far.

There is no perfect combination but this is the best I've used so far.

Good luck to all.
    Rich
    12-25-11 05:47 PM
    Depending on what you want to do, I bought the teeny-tiny Candyboard. It won't work for touch typing but does have a trackpad that works really well. It is about the size of the slideout keyboard on my .
    What do you mean "it won't work for touch typing." If you were using a physical keyboard, why would I also want to use the virtual board at the same time or am I missing something?
    12-25-11 06:16 PM
    What do you mean "it won't work for touch typing." If you were using a physical keyboard, why would I also want to use the virtual board at the same time or am I missing something?
    Yes, you are missing something "Touch Typing" is the expression meaning those people who have learned how to type properly with both full hands without having to look at the keyboard at all. Nothing to do with the virtual keyboard.
    12-25-11 06:28 PM
    Yes, you are missing something "Touch Typing" is the expression meaning those people who have learned how to type properly with both full hands without having to look at the keyboard at all. Nothing to do with the virtual keyboard.
    Oh, I thought that was the explanation of what "typing" meant...which I can at 40+ wpm. Didn't realize that meant knowing how to type, lol. Pretty expensive kb at $60 plus tax.
    Last edited by mhw100; 12-25-11 at 07:10 PM.
    BB.Forever likes this.
    12-25-11 07:08 PM
    I kind of wish I got that instead of just a standard bluetooth keyboard. The trackpad would be nice. I got an ihome bluetooth keyboard from walmart for 50.
    12-25-11 07:19 PM
    Oh, I thought that was the explanation of what "typing" meant...which I can at 40+ wpm. Didn't realize that meant knowing how to type, lol. Pretty expensive kb at $60 plus tax.
    No - "typing" can be done in many ways...like myself - with two fingers and thumbs, though pretty fast! Touch Typing is an expression as old as scat, and refers to typing the "proper" way. Agree with you on that kb price...
    12-25-11 07:20 PM
    I have had my Verbatim 97537 Wireless Bluetooth Mobile Folding Keyboard, at ~ $50, for a few days now. My initial impressions:
    I can touch type on it, with reasonable tactile feedback. Letter key pitch is about the same as for a full-size laptop, so not bad. But, for some reason, the number keys are smaller and scrunched together, so numbers will slow things down. Also, there are sometimes annoying freezes during which letters don't appear on the screen (although they are buffered and appear once the freeze is over). I am trying to get to the bottom of this one, which may be caused by my Beta OS2...
    Bluetooth pairing seems to be dependable, so far.
    The plastic switch that locks the keyboard in its unfolded position is hard to operate, and when locked the keyboard still folds a bit. On a flat surface, this is not needed, though.
    The "hot keys" for volume and a few other things do not work with the Playbook and are apparently only for iPad/iPhone.
    I haven't found anything better, so will probably keep it.
    12-25-11 09:27 PM
    what do you guys think of a keyboard for the playnook that is like the ipad one that goes onto a dock and then is a full size keyboard for the most part? i think it probably could use the same port/ 3 pins that is meant for the dock for this kind of keyboard. as a devoted bb user i watch my ipad classmates use their keyboard and it seems like a easy thing to attach to the ipad. i think it could be a good alternative than having a case and keyboard combo because for me as a student if im taking notes or typing something having a almost fullsize keyboard would be nice, especially since i tyoe correctly. what do you guys think?

just in case you dont know what i'm referring to its this: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Keyboard-Dock-Package/dp/B0040HEMP8
    12-25-11 10:32 PM
    Rii Mini Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard Mouse Touchpad Presenter Laser For iPad 2, | eBay any idea if this would work??? any help will be greatly appreciated
    12-26-11 04:33 AM
    I read in the forums that it is suppose to work. I bought one last night on amazon. There's a Magic-pro, pro mini BT -touch 2 bluetooth- 2nd generation. I paid $45.49. I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2nd gen.
    12-26-11 05:48 AM
    I bought a Magic-Pro pro mini which has the built in trackpad. Paired easily with the PB and works fine. In Europe they ship from Holland.

Whilst I bought it with the 'keep it in my briefcase and carry it around' idea in my mind, in practice I find that the keyboard is just that little too small to type at any speed on. Or maybe it's my big fingers :-(

To be honest, I wish I'd bought a full size BT keyboard now, to use on the desk.
    12-26-11 06:09 AM
    Just ordered the Blue Logitech laser mouse and the HP touch pad keyboard of Amazon.

They'll be here next week.

I'm trying an experiment where I'm going to replace my home office computer, currently an under powered netbook which use to remote desktop to my office, with the playbook + HDMI cable to my 27" screen.

I figure the remote desktop app I've got on it connects fine, if i can use a real mouse and keyboard as well, I'm basically at the office from home on something that performs better than what I'm currently running.

Updates to follow.
    09-27-12 06:02 PM
    Tried a cheapy keyboard, sure there are some great ones out there, but I much preferred thumbing it on my 9900. Different strokes I guess.
    09-27-12 06:18 PM
    Just ordered the Blue Logitech laser mouse and the HP touch pad keyboard of Amazon.

They'll be here next week.

I'm trying an experiment where I'm going to replace my home office computer, currently an under powered netbook which use to remote desktop to my office, with the playbook + HDMI cable to my 27" screen.

I figure the remote desktop app I've got on it connects fine, if i can use a real mouse and keyboard as well, I'm basically at the office from home on something that performs better than what I'm currently running.

Updates to follow.
    So my keyboard and mouse came in today.

I already had the HDMI cable for the PB.

I'm now hooked up PB > 27" computer screen which doubles as my TV. Parked on the couch with new keyboard and mouse. Surfing CB, BBM'n, TXT'n and streaming Pandora all via bridge through the living room sound system.

This setup couldn't be any better...

If I had WIFI in here as well I could RDM to my office and I'd never have to leave the couch!

EPIC. I can highly recommend he Logitech laser travel mouse and the HP touch pad BT keyboard for use with the PB.

Both connected right up to the PB.

I bought them both used from Amazon. The keyboard even came with the previous owners Duracells in it

WIN!
    CDM76 and FF22 like this.
    10-06-12 12:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD