I live in a somewhat unusual setting -- on a big boat on, in a marina on the San Francisco Bay. There is no cable available -- so my phone is a Verizon Android device, my computer/Playbook access is via a Verizon 4G modem into a wifi router. I get my TV via satellite.

Needless to say, Verizon charges a fair penny for data and limits it (on my 4g modem -- data on my phone is unlimited). I'm also pretty much locked into Verizon because their coverage is great in my area, where as other carriers are spotty at best. My 4g speed is really very good.

So, I called RIM today to ask a very specific question: When will Verizon offer a 4G BB phone, and will Verizon charge for using BB "bridge" connection to my Playbook. A brief review here: If I want to use my un-rooted Verizon handset as a wifi access point, Verizon makes me add an additional data plan. I lost my root on my Droid when VZ pushed out an upgrade, and there's not decent option to root it now. I'm also due for a new phone soon. Although I can and do use my VZ 4g broadband modem for the Playbook (and my laptop), there's a 5 gig limit per month that's not hard to exceed.

My phone contract with VZ, however, is unlimited for data -- and VZ tells me I can upgrade and keep the unlimited contract.

So, if I can buy a new BB phone, bridge it to my Playbook AND VZ doesn't charge for the bridging, I'll have unlimited access (which I'm not likely to abuse, so VZ is not likely to shut me down). VZ however has no 4g BB phones just now.

Here's what BB tech support for the Playbook told me on the phone today: Wait for the BB 10 phone -- it's an "iPhone killer". It's 4g, and VZ will have it. Further, VZ doesn't up-charge for bridging between the phone and the Playbook. Sounds good. The big question, of course, is when the BB 10 will really, truly be available. The rep said it will roll out in August-September_October. I asked her if she was really sure about that -- and she emphatically said "yes". I asked if that was a rumor sort of yes, or a "this is real" kind of yes, and she said it was real.

So -- is it? Should I await the BB10 (I'd really like to support RIM and take advantage of the compatibility with the Playbook), or -- is RIM grasping at straws, which would mean I should upgrade my phone to another, easily rooted Android device (like the Galaxy Nexus)????
    05-17-12 02:13 PM
    I live on an island and have the same problem. I am waiting for bb10. period. but then again I live in canada so i dont get charged for bb data use from my pb. I use a program called connectify to make a wifi spot from my computer and use my pb thru that. but as far as data charges, no problem
    05-17-12 02:18 PM
    On Your android go download Foxfi!
    foxfi is free works great and doesnt require root, i think only sprint has blocked it.
    that may get you by untill bb10 does arrive.
    robedney likes this.
    05-17-12 02:29 PM
    VZW announced they are sunsetting the unlimited data plans. When you switch to a 4g plan on your phone, you will not get unlimited data anymore.
    05-17-12 03:39 PM
    Verizon just told me today that I can upgrade and keep my unlimited plan -- and they also sent me a promotional email telling me that.
    05-17-12 04:09 PM
    Hey Herc in Wyoming -- thanks! I've been hunting for something like this, and I've got it up and running right now! I really appreciate the suggestion.
    05-17-12 04:33 PM
    You can upgrade to LTE device today and still keep unlimited but by the time a LTE BB comes out you will not have that option.
    05-17-12 04:37 PM
    Just had an online chat with a Verizon rep. I was told that there is no expiration date on my ability to upgrade and keep my unlimited access contract. I specifically asked about waiting for the BB10. She said that she had no info on that device (of course), but that I did not need to worry about waiting. Interesting thing about Verizon chat support is that you can have it email a transcript to yourself, which I did.
    05-17-12 04:56 PM
    The policy hasnt changed yet. It will be changing according to the news which broke today. I would assume the reps are not in the know yet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...-3g-to-4g-lte/
    05-17-12 05:06 PM
    I live in a somewhat unusual setting -- on a big boat on, in a marina on the San Francisco Bay. There is no cable available -- so my phone is a Verizon Android device, my computer/Playbook access is via a Verizon 4G modem into a wifi router. I get my TV via satellite.

Needless to say, Verizon charges a fair penny for data and limits it (on my 4g modem -- data on my phone is unlimited). I'm also pretty much locked into Verizon because their coverage is great in my area, where as other carriers are spotty at best. My 4g speed is really very good.

So, I called RIM today to ask a very specific question: When will Verizon offer a 4G BB phone, and will Verizon charge for using BB "bridge" connection to my Playbook. A brief review here: If I want to use my un-rooted Verizon handset as a wifi access point, Verizon makes me add an additional data plan. I lost my root on my Droid when VZ pushed out an upgrade, and there's not decent option to root it now. I'm also due for a new phone soon. Although I can and do use my VZ 4g broadband modem for the Playbook (and my laptop), there's a 5 gig limit per month that's not hard to exceed.

My phone contract with VZ, however, is unlimited for data -- and VZ tells me I can upgrade and keep the unlimited contract.

So, if I can buy a new BB phone, bridge it to my Playbook AND VZ doesn't charge for the bridging, I'll have unlimited access (which I'm not likely to abuse, so VZ is not likely to shut me down). VZ however has no 4g BB phones just now.

Here's what BB tech support for the Playbook told me on the phone today: Wait for the BB 10 phone -- it's an "iPhone killer". It's 4g, and VZ will have it. Further, VZ doesn't up-charge for bridging between the phone and the Playbook. Sounds good. The big question, of course, is when the BB 10 will really, truly be available. The rep said it will roll out in August-September_October. I asked her if she was really sure about that -- and she emphatically said "yes". I asked if that was a rumor sort of yes, or a "this is real" kind of yes, and she said it was real.

So -- is it? Should I await the BB10 (I'd really like to support RIM and take advantage of the compatibility with the Playbook), or -- is RIM grasping at straws, which would mean I should upgrade my phone to another, easily rooted Android device (like the Galaxy Nexus)????
    No, i have heard on a few sites, an august launch, and in stores round otober..
    05-17-12 06:57 PM
    I too am in a similar position. I live in a remote mountainous area, no phone lines, no cable and a weak cell signal. That being Verizon too. Forget those ATT commercials about coverage across America, because in the west, especially mountain west, ATT coverage and signal strength is awful. So we too are stuck with Verizon. We have a cellular booster/repeater and satellite internet. We tried the myfi hotspot setup and found bridge was faster for us. Satellite internet is good, almost as fast download as our DSL at work, but upload has enough latency to rule out some uses, like online gaming, or at least making it frustrating.

Without satellite internet, a BB phone and the PB is the best setup for us. If the other thread is true, PC Bridge is not far away and that would solve all your problems.
    05-17-12 10:04 PM
    The big question, of course, is when the BB 10 will really, truly be available. The rep said it will roll out in August-September_October. I asked her if she was really sure about that -- and she emphatically said "yes". I asked if that was a rumor sort of yes, or a "this is real" kind of yes, and she said it was real.
    WOW!!!

OP: This part of your post is BEST news ever!
    Let's hope RIM gets their new BB10 chips on time so that they can delivery by end of summer!
    05-17-12 10:32 PM
    The big question, of course, is when the BB 10 will really, truly be available. The rep said it will roll out in August-September_October. I asked her if she was really sure about that -- and she emphatically said "yes". I asked if that was a rumor sort of yes, or a "this is real" kind of yes, and she said it was real.
    I used to work for AT&T Mobility customer care. There was always someone in the call center saying random crap that created messes I had to deal with. This smells like one. Maybe Verizon is different. But in reality, I suspect the representative was saying what you wanted to hear to get you off the phone quickly and pleased with the conversation. There's NO WAY us representatives EVER knew this sort of information ahead of time unless we independently hopped onto our firewall-less smartphones to check rumors on the internet ourselves. I resorted to reading the news about wireless services every morning before work just to stay ahead of the curveballs customers would throw at me from the morning news reports or press releases from competing carriers (sometimes AT&T itself).

I was a good agent. Should have stayed. Stressful job.

/rant

Sorry, lol. Though Autumn/Q3 does sound like a promising timeframe for BB10 devices.
    05-17-12 11:49 PM
    I also only have internet access via wireless, and I live in Ottawa. Go figure! Problem up here, is that our providers have a max 10G cap, with $10 a gig overage charge.

I wish we had unlimited here

But the good news is the BB10 phones. Can't wait...
    Last edited by danpoleary; 05-18-12 at 10:09 AM.
    05-18-12 07:43 AM
    damn 5GB a month,I download 5GB in a day. I would die if I had that plan you got. In a month I download close to 100GB. But back to topic just wait it out,see what the BB10 have up its sleeve and then choose from there.

EDIT: Wow how do you guys live without unlimited data ? even my phone have unlimited. Well I live in the Caribbean so that can be the reason.

Sent from my BlackBerry Curve 8520 using Crackberry Forum App
    Last edited by DeonADB; 05-18-12 at 09:01 AM.
    05-18-12 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD