I left my Playbook unused for a few weeks and when I went to try it, it wouldn't power on. When I held the power button, it showed a red light for a short time, and then nothing.. So right off the bat, I assumed the battery had drained too low, and I'd have to stack charge it in order to get it back up and running.

Eventually I realized that the unit was in fact powering up, but it was the screen itself that was out. I thought it might be a software issue, so I plugged the USB to my computer, and did a restore using Desktop Manager.

Now, when I plug it in to the USB port, DM complains that this device isn't initialized yet. So I'm assuming the screen is toast. Before I toss it, or hack it up for parts, does anyone have any other troubleshooting that might confirm the dead screen?
    07-25-13 11:32 AM
    I left my Playbook unused for a few weeks and when I went to try it, it wouldn't power on. When I held the power button, it showed a red light for a short time, and then nothing.. So right off the bat, I assumed the battery had drained too low, and I'd have to stack charge it in order to get it back up and running.

Eventually I realized that the unit was in fact powering up, but it was the screen itself that was out. I thought it might be a software issue, so I plugged the USB to my computer, and did a restore using Desktop Manager.

Now, when I plug it in to the USB port, DM complains that this device isn't initialized yet. So I'm assuming the screen is toast. Before I toss it, or hack it up for parts, does anyone have any other troubleshooting that might confirm the dead screen?
    Although you did the stack charging procedure, i would just flat out leave it on the charger. Have you also tried the Hard Reset option? Volume Rockers and Power button until it reboots. Give that a try, overall it just sounds like your Playbook doesn't have enough juice to completely boot up.
    07-25-13 11:47 AM
    Hmmm.

Okay, incase it is stalled - Press and HOLD the Power button for 20-30 seconds and release. Give it another 20 or more seconds for the red led to show and it to start up. You might want to charge it first for 4-5 hours.

I would try the Debrick process

Try the Debrick method....

Perform a backup of your pb if you can using Desktop Manager or, at least, manually coping any unique data, photos, voice recordings, documents, etc.

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) Let your playbook sit for about 10 minutes as earlier suggested.
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile
    07-25-13 12:10 PM
    I did do the debrick method (plugging into DM, and choosing update, it downloaded OS 2.1 and updated the device successfully). Hard reset seems to work, because after the reset I have to wait awhile before the PC sees it again.

I imagine that right now, if I could see the screen, it would be at the welcome screen asking me to sign in with my BBID, since now when I plug it in I get the following message (see attached pic)

Are there any other utilities to connect to a now un-initialized Playbook?
    Playbook Black Screen (not stack charging issue)-pb.jpg
    07-25-13 01:17 PM
    Did you DISCONNECT the Playbook from the pc as that screen suggests? And then what happens?

Do you see any evidence of light on the pb? Take it into a dark room or closet and see if the screen is gray with some back light or complete BLACK.

But if it really shows no signs, then your screen might be dead. No OS process will bring back a hardware fault.

How old? Warranty?
    07-25-13 03:51 PM
    Did you DISCONNECT the Playbook from the pc as that screen suggests? And then what happens?

Do you see any evidence of light on the pb? Take it into a dark room or closet and see if the screen is gray with some back light or complete BLACK.

But if it really shows no signs, then your screen might be dead. No OS process will bring back a hardware fault.

How old? Warranty?
    Yes, so I tried connecting the PB to my TV using an HDMI cable and sure enough it was sitting there at the welcome screen. I was able to blindly run through the out-of-box setup and I can now operate the PB over bridge using my phone and a TV.

When I go into a dark area I can see the Backlight on (as opposed to when it's off and completely black). So the LCD is dead.

Interestingly the digizer still works, because I can use the touch screen, I just can't see what I'm touching. Over bridge at least I have the mouse cursor.

Bought it in early 2012, so warranty will be over. Have you ever heard of them giving grace periods for hardware failures?

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 06:46 PM
    Without stressing the pb too much, you might try pressing along the edges/sides or back to see if it might bring the display back.

And, YES, they have been gracious occasionally and extended the warranty or fixed it outside of the year. But there are no promises in that regard. You can call and see..........

Good luck

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les T�l�phones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    07-25-13 09:07 PM
    Doesn't hurt to give them a call. If you haven't registered it, they may extend your grace period. I was going to suggest the hdmi route, but it looks like you've gotten the issue figured out.
    07-25-13 09:12 PM
    Took it off charger with a full charge put it in a bag walked to a meeting.Turned it on and it froze,
    then went completely dead. No signs of live.. Your 30 second power and volume down in combination worked!! Thank you. I thought it somehow got damaged -permanently - in the transport in a fanny-pack. Are these devices prone to flip-outs due to twisting or racking? I want to know what caused the problem so I do not repeat? I am legally blind and rely on this product, probably to much so and cannot afford a replacement at this time. Like my first vehicle in which I kept tools and an assortment of spare parts. If I broke down that is where I stayed until it was repaired. Remember those days when your first vehicle was older than you were? Not quite the same here but I do get old hand me down equipment.
    07-30-13 12:48 PM
    Took it off charger with a full charge put it in a bag walked to a meeting.Turned it on and it froze,
    then went completely dead. No signs of live.. Your 30 second power and volume down in combination worked!! Thank you. I thought it somehow got damaged -permanently - in the transport in a fanny-pack. Are these devices prone to flip-outs due to twisting or racking? I want to know what caused the problem so I do not repeat? I am legally blind and rely on this product, probably to much so and cannot afford a replacement at this time. Like my first vehicle in which I kept tools and an assortment of spare parts. If I broke down that is where I stayed until it was repaired. Remember those days when your first vehicle was older than you were? Not quite the same here but I do get old hand me down equipment.
    While the device is pretty rugged, obviously solder connections on circuit boards can probably be pressured too much if the device is twisted or bent. And, then again, sometimes computers, Playbook included, can just do strange things. I've had mine lock up and pressing the screen and/or the power button did not do anything. That's when either HOLDING the Power button might help or the 3-finger method (a contortionist's delight) can work.

Here's the various restart methods:

To fix an issue, try these in order:

Restart using the Battery Icon and press Restart

Press and hold the Power button for 10-15 seconds. Then leave it for 20-30 seconds and see if it restarts.

To REBOOT:
    Press and HOLD all three keys for about 10 - 20 seconds: PowerOn, VolUp and VolDown. Start with the PowerButton. Keep holding past the 3-choice options screen. If you hear a shutter type sound, you've taken a Screen Shot and probably missed the PowerButton.
    07-30-13 03:08 PM
    So just an update, I tried everything, the LCD had simply conked out. Before either tossing the PB, or searching eBay for replacement screens, I called BBRY customer service, got shifted from one rep to another, got told there was nothing they could do since the device was out of warranty except sent it out for service and I would be given a repair estimate (that would likely be more than the PB is worth). Escalated to a manager who seemed to have no more authority than the previous rep, and then mysteriously dropped the call (I swear he hung up on me).

Called back, didn't have an incident number from the previous call, so had to re-tell the entire story once again, eventually got hold of a manager once again. Gave a long sob story about how I've been a BB user since the Mobitex days and I've had great support with all their products except the Playbook. Played the "I was promised BB10" card, the "it's unfortunate that you would stand firmly behind your warranty policy rather than your product" card, the "I've purchased so many apps for a product you guys are now killing off... I should have just bought an iPad" card...

To make a long story short, he eventually broke down and told me to send it in (they would pay the shipping both ways) and it would be repaired at no cost. I just got it back in the mail, and it appears to be a new unit! (or probably refurb). New serial number, and not the flush power button that is impossible to press.
    Chrysalis1156 and FF22 like this.
    08-09-13 07:03 AM
    pcondello

Best dropped call experience ever! Great going and thanks for posting the tale.
    08-09-13 06:03 PM