Im my opinion the playbook is a fantastic product and useful tool. The issue is the market did not and still does not appreciate so BB has placed it on the backburner. Is it dead lets all hope not there are an amazing array of function that I use the Playbook for every day. My only real grype right now is that BB has not updated the android runtime which would allow me to port many of the apps primarily news services that I use on my Z10 and mac.

Let us all reach out to BB and say save the playbook its a great tool that just has not been marketed well.

all the best

CO
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-23-13 03:24 AM
    Yes, but the phone has to have BBM in the first place. And that needs the phone to have a data plan unless something radical has changed over there.
    I'm in Dubai, using my q10 with no sim card in it because I don't want to pay roaming fees to Rogers, connected to hotel Wifi, my bbm works perfectly fine, so os10 does not need a data plan for bbm, doesn't even need a sim in the phone

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-23-13 03:30 AM
    Nope.
    PlayBook is dead.
    Officially.
    Don't hold back now, tell us what you really think.
    10-23-13 03:36 AM
    I'm in Dubai, using my q10 with no sim card in it because I don't want to pay roaming fees to Rogers, connected to hotel Wifi, my bbm works perfectly fine, so os10 does not need a data plan for bbm, doesn't even need a sim in the phone

Posted via CB10
    The original query on this talked about getting a cheap old BB phone, which is going to be pre-BB10.
    10-23-13 04:00 AM
    Where have u seen this ?

I mean it's probably true, but I've not seen or heard anything from BBRY saying the playbook is EOL.

And this is why BBRY have problems - they can't communicate anything and when they do they frequently can't back the words up.
    By the fact that there will be no major updates to the OS and that the company has made it pretty clear that they believe that tablets will be gone within five years.
    The focus is on mobile computing.
    There's a video floating around that illustrates this.
    10-23-13 06:12 AM
    By the fact that there will be no major updates to the OS and that the company has made it pretty clear that they believe that tablets will be gone within five years.
    The focus is on mobile computing.
    There's a video floating around that illustrates this.
    But this was my point - where have BBRY officialy said any of this ??

I understand your point but BBRY have been totaly useless about :

a. announcing stuff
    b. delivering stuff
    c. actualy delivering what they announced.
    d. sticking to a plan - any plan
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-23-13 08:39 AM
    Bridge BBM works better than expected when bridged with the Z10. Native BBM will never arrive. There's almost no reason to use a PB if you don't have some sort of a BB phone.
    I no longer have a BB phone (wasn't my choice - more of a Sprint issue) and still use my PB every day to surf the web, watch movies, read books (thank goodness for Book Reader cuz I have a LOT of epubs) while listening to soothing music (cuz the PB handles multitasking pretty darn well), read the Bible (love e-Mmanuel+), and play games once in awhile. Guess it depends what one uses their tablet for. Very sad for me to watch the current BlackBerry debacle cuz until about 6 months ago I'd used nothing but bbs. Hoping they survive to fight another day.
    10-23-13 11:24 AM
    Umm... soo ... can we sideload BBM Android onto the Playbook? No ??
    No. BBM for Android requires Android 4.0 or higher while the runtime on the PlayBook is still Android 2.3 (I can never remember the silly names they give the versions).
    10-23-13 11:32 AM
    Where have u seen this ?

I mean it's probably true, but I've not seen or heard anything from BBRY saying the playbook is EOL.

And this is why BBRY have problems - they can't communicate anything and when they do they frequently can't back the words up.
    BlackBerry PlayBook tablet won't get any more significant updates - Liliputing
    10-23-13 12:46 PM
    Good article, thanks. A valid point in here is this: "Most BlackBerry 10 phones have more RAM and faster processors than the PlayBook."

The PlayBook is an amazing tablet the way it is with the existing OS. It's not the greatest out there, and may not be as good as BB10, but there are plenty of apps and with the BlackBerry Bridge feature with pre-BB10 phones, it makes for a very productive BB setup.

BlackBerry has not ruled out coming out with an updated tablet, and having a tablet in the lineup is a good idea for bringing in new customers and holding on to the existing ones (see Why tepid tablet strategy could be BlackBerry's fatal flaw). Forget what Heins said, he may not even be the CEO or in the company 6 months from now.
    10-23-13 01:20 PM
    Having bean counter as CEO was not their smartest idea but also had advantage he play it safe this will help them stay aflot for little longer.
    But he also lack vision that every CEO need to take company the right direction.
    He too afraid to gamble and take a risk to use playing it safe.

Never being big fan blackberry but since got my playbook from pawnshop for $40 must say impressed an excellent little tablet.
    Use alot during the day never let me down and even with heavy usage at end of day still have plenty of battery life.how many tablet can handle 9 hours work days?
    Last edited by Tony Can; 10-23-13 at 04:44 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-23-13 04:32 PM
36 12