i am having trouble getting bbm on the playbook. i updated the software on the pb and only the video chat icon appeared. i subsequently updated bbm on my 9700 to 5.0.3.22 and reset both devices but the icon still did not appear. i then attempted to update the bridge software on the 9700 as it is currently running 1.0.0.76 but i cannot find the update in appworld. i am on the rogers network.

any ideas?? thanks in advance.
    05-03-11 08:01 PM
    Even I have the same issue.
    05-03-11 08:20 PM
    you need to update the bridge software. Links are in other threads. Then do a battery pull.
    05-03-11 08:20 PM
    @Alias12345 - you need bridge software version 83. Open App World on your 9700, hold the ALT key and press R S T. Then App World will close. When you re-open it, you should see the bridge software available to you to download.
    Alias12345 likes this.
    05-03-11 08:21 PM
    @Alias12345 - you need bridge software version 83. Open App World on your 9700, hold the ALT key and press R S T. Then App World will close. When you re-open it, you should see the bridge software available to you to download.
    it worked - thank you!!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-03-11 08:42 PM
    i am using bb 9780 v6.0.0.534 with the bridge 1.0.0.83.
    my playbook was updated to os 1.0.3.1668, yet no icon for bbm.

any advice? tia
    05-04-11 05:27 PM
    bbm needs to be 5.0.3.22 or higher
    bkurant likes this.
    05-04-11 05:35 PM
    bbm needs to be 5.0.3.22 or higher
    it worked! thanks.
    now the icon shows up, and when click on it, the screen gets black with 'end-user license agreement not accepted on your device'.

where do i click to accept it?
    05-04-11 11:20 PM
    it worked! thanks.
    now the icon shows up, and when click on it, the screen gets black with 'end-user license agreement not accepted on your device'.

where do i click to accept it?
    You need to accept the agreement in your phone's BBM then you can use it in your playbook. If you're using the BBM 6 Beta, then you need to input the keycode.
    bkurant likes this.
    05-04-11 11:35 PM
    i did, but then pb crashed when opening bbm. had to re-install bbm, rebot pb - works now!

thanks again.
    05-04-11 11:41 PM
    I bought a new Playbook. I donot have a BB phone. How do I install the BBM on the Playbook.

Can I access the mails over the playbook without using the bridge but connecting the playbook over wifi - broad band
    Regards
    Krishna
    01-10-12 11:45 AM
    I bought a new Playbook. I donot have a BB phone. How do I install the BBM on the Playbook.
    You can't, the moving goalpost for this feature is now "Summer 2012".

Can I access the mails over the playbook without using the bridge but connecting the playbook over wifi - broad band
    Regards
    Krishna
    You can't. There is no native email client. Ridiculous, I know. The moving goalpost for this feature isn now "Feb 2012". First promised Spring 2011 (the infamous available in 60 days...).

Well, if you have a web front end available for your mail account, you can try the PlayBook browser for that. If you are used to a full featured email client it will be suboptimal but desperate times call for desperate measures.
    01-10-12 12:18 PM
    In OS 2, have to wait a few weeks.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZgE9sgdsB4Y[/YT]
    01-10-12 12:31 PM
    In OS 2, have to wait a few weeks.
    You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, "Why not?"
    -George Bernard Shaw

As I clearly stated, the moving goalpost for native email is now February 2012. RIM itself very recently (past few days) used the phrase "Expected Feb 2012".

This was first promised by one of the Chairmen (forget which one) for Spring 2011 after the incredulity expressed at the lack of this feature at release in April 2011.
    01-10-12 01:12 PM
    Why not let bygones be bygones?

You can not move forward if you hold so tightly to the past.
    Last edited by spike12; 01-10-12 at 01:17 PM.
    mtlbbfan likes this.
    01-10-12 01:13 PM
    They also used the phrase "on time" in the remote video.
    Which "on time" was that again?
    June 18 2011 (spring Co-Chairman promise)?
    Summer 2011?
    October 2011 ("As much as we’d love to have it in your hands today, we’ve made the difficult decision to wait to launch BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 until we are confident we have fully met the expectations of our developers, enterprise customers and end-users.". ****This was the same time that they jettisoned what is probably the premier competitive advantage of RIM, BBM***)?
    Now Feb 2012?

EDIT: Spike12 completely changed his post which I responded to here (now bygones be bygones etc). His original post is quoted in this post. I will leave his and my comment here since it is still germane to this discussion).
    Last edited by Interloper.; 01-10-12 at 01:27 PM.
    01-10-12 01:22 PM
    I guess you have the last laugh then. I concede.
    01-10-12 01:27 PM
    The moving goalpost for this feature isn now "Feb 2012".
    Failed to mention the reality: the goalpost is appearing pretty stable and solid and has not moved since October...

But the FUD effect would have been lessened if you'd simply pointed that out.
    Chaddface likes this.
    01-10-12 02:20 PM
    Failed to mention the reality: the goalpost is appearing pretty stable and solid and has not moved since October...

But the FUD effect would have been lessened if you'd simply pointed that out.
    FUD effect? Which date delays copied again below are not factual?
    ----------------------
    June 18 2011 (spring Co-Chairman promise)?
    Summer 2011?
    October 2011 ("As much as wed love to have it in your hands today, weve made the difficult decision to wait to launch BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 until we are confident we have fully met the expectations of our developers, enterprise customers and end-users.". ****This was the same time that they jettisoned what is probably the premier competitive advantage of RIM, BBM***)?
    Now Feb 2012?
    ----------------------

Is the term "Moving goalpost" inappropriate? Has RIM "scored" with a release that has so far and still is tragically/comically/incredibly/ridiculously (pick one or more yourself) delayed? The last one they missed (October 2011), they spotted themselves *4 months* more (Oct 25 to Feb 29). That is a v. long time in this business.
    FUD?

At present, *you can't* BBM from the Playbook (est Summer 2012 now).
    At present, *you can't* email from a native client (est [4th est btw] Feb 2012).
    FUD?

RIM's recent history of meeting promised releases is *unbelievably bad*
    FUD?

Who is being more reasonable:

People who say, "This time (unlike the last/last/last time spread over the better part of a year, complete with the *4 month* can kick down the road last time) it's a sure thing. Quit your FUDding"?

Or people who take yet another promised release with a grain of salt?

For what it's worth, and as I have said before, in my opinion February is a distinct *possibility*. I mean, promised features like email are already *7months* late from the Co-Chairmans promise and RIM has still given itself another month and a half to deliver. They can't take *forever* for this basic feature that should have been there from the April 2011 release.

------------------------------
    Me from January 2 in a completely different thread on 2012 PlayBook Predictions:
    "3. Kill the PlayBook after Tablet OS 2 release. They have to put something out. Not saying it will be great, but something labeled 2.O. Maybe even in February! Tablet death date somewhere around May 2012."
    -------------------------------

Is 2.0 in Feb 2012 a sure thing? A reasonable person would remain somewhat doubtful, no fear required. They certainly would refrain from giving new users reassuring platitudes like saying about *basic features like email*:
    "In OS2, have to wait a few weeks."

*Even RIM* can't help themselves and still have to slide the word "*expected* Feb 2012" into OS 2.0 press releases as late as *this week*. FUD spreaders as well?
    01-10-12 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD