09-09-13 03:45 PM
352 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This is an odd thread. Another chance to take shots at KM, this time for being a poor prognosticator and a welcher on his bets, and for not causing BB to release BB10 for the Playbook, I'm not sure how. And going all the way back to the launch of PB to pay forward unfulfilled expectations. I've had a PB from Day 1 and would love to see it brought forward into BB10. I do know that in the Q&A after the Z10 launch, TH indicated that BB10 was coming to the PB and that is the operative "promise" in my mind, not earlier statements or any enthusiastic guess KM may have made.

It's not as if we were stuck in the 2010-2012 rut when all we had were vague hints and no new handsets or significant OS or 3rd Party App development to keep our spirits up. So I have been more patient with the delayed PB BB10 because now there are positive things diverting BB's concentration from the PB and not just frantic damage control and the formulation of hail mary prayers,

I hope there's some real news coming out of BB Live and not just an amplification of recent promotional tours. I expect the Q10 release dates for the US carriers, some more details on the rumored year-end flagship, and some major App announcements. I haven't been paying particular attention, but I haven't picked up any strong chatter on a new Playbook, so maybe BB will throw us PB'ers a bone and give us a date on BB10.
    steakman911 likes this.
    05-13-13 04:43 PM
    There's no reason why BB10 can't run on the older playbook. As we've seen with the Z10, BB10 OS runs perfectly fine using yesterday's specs, within limits. The biggest limitation to the Playbook is the lower RAMM (1GB) which I think can be overcome pretty simply through reducing the number of possible active frames (say from 8 to 4, for example). Which, imho, is an acceptable tradeoff.

The other variable is the different screen resolution of the playbook. The Q10 runs a different version of BBOS from the Z10 to take into account the reduced screen resolution. Here's the varying resolutions of the three devices:

Z10 resolution: 1280 x 768 / Aspect Ratio: 1.67:1
    Q10 resolution: 720 x 720 / Aspect Ratio: 1:1
    PB resolution: 1024 x 600 / Aspect Ratio: 1.71:1

The PB aspect ratio is close to the Z10 so my guess is that a slightly modified version of the Z10 OS will be the model for the PB that they're working on... Both are within the margins of the standard 16x9 ratio. Going forward, my guess is that they will 'standardize' to strict 16x9 ratios and that the Z10 and legacy Playbook will be anomalies going forward and that the two versions of BB10 will be merged to service the all touch phones and tablets.

Anyway, there's no question that they will deliver BB10 for the legacy Playbook as a 'proof of concept', to help sell the new OS. Reading between the lines from Thorsten Heins' public statements, licensing is an important part of Blackberry's future revenue model to replace the service revenue they are losing from abandoning legacy BB OS.

I too think that they are planning on getting back into the tablet business, I'm just not sure if they are going to make the actual hardware with the software or just license the OS. Given what TH has said about margins on tablets, my guess is that his plan is to try and license and let others worry about the hardware.

Anyway, my $0.02. Not a doubt in my mind that BB10 on Playbook is coming. When? I dunno, within a few months is my guess.
    Whoa I didn't know a 1.5 ghz processor was yesterday's specs, that's pretty damn zippy. The HTC has a 1.7 ghz processor, even with that amount of power there aren't many instances when the phone will use all of its ghz. The Z10 specs are pretty decent, nice and zippy.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 05:02 PM
    The optimist in me is saying that they're under NDA blackout.
    05-13-13 05:06 PM
    The optimist in me is saying that they're under NDA blackout.
    I think everybody is. BB10 for Playbook has been under more lockdown then the ipad mini.

Posted via CB10 with the Dev Alpha C
    FF22 likes this.
    05-13-13 05:12 PM
    I don't believe that you will see BB10 running on the PlayBook despite what BlackBerry might have stated previously.

The PlayBook lacks the extra 1GB of RAM which the Z10 has in order to run the OS smoothly. BlackBerry put the extra RAM into the Z10 for a reason, because BB10 didn't function as well on 1GB. I believe that the hardware is a definite factor in BlackBerry avoiding BB10 on the PlayBook. The other factors are most likely financial and resource allocation.

That's my hunch, and only my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty certain younare wrong as well.
    05-13-13 05:21 PM
    The Playbook is dead to Blackberry. I'm guessing Blackberry Live will unveil their next iteration.
    Dead is pushing it. If it were dead, you wouldn't see it supported, on their site, the LTE in some channels or BlackBerry 10 or RIM apps being made on it.

It is clearly deprioritized relative to the phones that make money though.
    05-13-13 05:46 PM
    I don't believe that you will see BB10 running on the PlayBook despite what BlackBerry might have stated previously.

The PlayBook lacks the extra 1GB of RAM which the Z10 has in order to run the OS smoothly. BlackBerry put the extra RAM into the Z10 for a reason, because BB10 didn't function as well on 1GB.
    Using this logic, iOS should only run on the iPhone 5 with 1 GB of RAM and not the 4S, 4 or 3GS with half or a quarter. Companies do built OSes to run across a line of products. Forgetting PlayBook, BlackBerry does have a vested interest in making the OS work on lower end devices and has released a range of products. See "the Curve".

In fact, with OS 7, the Bold had 768 MB and the Curve had 512 MB.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 05-13-13 at 06:01 PM.
    05-13-13 05:50 PM
    It will stay until you turn bridge email off. When you turn it back on it will be there again. What you enter does stay on the phone. The purpose of bridged email was so you could turn bridge off and let someone else use it and not have them snooping in your email.
    Thanks for the info. I guess the better word for what I was trying to say is "sync". Doesn't sound like the bridge function does that from what you've said. Oh well, I would still like to maximize the PB's potential with BB10. Hopefully, that will happen IF they update the PB for BB10.
    05-13-13 06:04 PM

When Bridged, if you open the Bridge Folder and open the Calendar, any data you place there will go into your phone's calendar.

If you open the OTHER Calendar, that's native and its data will reside on the pb and depending on your setup, might sync with Outlook or gmail's calendar.
    That pretty much sounds like what I want to do. I just have to be mindful to be bridged, otherwise, there will be no "sync" with the native calendar. Thanks for the info.
    05-13-13 06:08 PM
    Using this logic, iOS should only run on the iPhone 5 with 1 GB of RAM and not the 4S, 4 or 3GS with half or a quarter. Companies do built OSes to run across a line of products. Forgetting PlayBook, BlackBerry does have a vested interest in making the OS work on lower end devices and has released a range of products. See "the Curve".

In fact, with OS 7, the Bold had 768 MB and the Curve had 512 MB.
    I completely agree.and I try telling people this everyday on here the iphone 3gs has what 256mb of ram and it runs ios 6 no problem
    05-13-13 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the info. I guess the better word for what I was trying to say is "sync". Doesn't sound like the bridge function does that from what you've said. Oh well, I would still like to maximize the PB's potential with BB10. Hopefully, that will happen IF they update the PB for BB10.
    Well bridge doesn't sync it is a mirror if you will, just using your PB screen to view and manipulate it. The native email on the PB may sync if it is setup right with a BB10 phone.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-13-13 at 06:15 PM. Reason: add BB10
    05-13-13 06:14 PM
    This is an odd thread. .. I've had a PB from Day 1 and would love to see it brought forward into BB10. I do know that in the Q&A after the Z10 launch, TH indicated that BB10 was coming to the PB and that is the operative "promise" in my mind, not earlier statements or any enthusiastic guess KM may have made...
    I haven't been paying particular attention, but I haven't picked up any strong chatter on a new Playbook, so maybe BB will throw us PB'ers a bone and give us a date on BB10.
    Best post above in this Mad Hatter Crackberry party of a thread.

I wrote in Post #51 that Blackberry was handing out Playbook with OS10 to at least one big health trust customer in the UK according to Computer Weekly March 2013 story ("The BSMHFT has been trialing the new system on 30 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets to give staff an idea of the new system" ). The article goes on to say the customer liked the OS 10 so much on the Playbooks and phones that they then ordered a bunch of both; clearly Blackberry thinks OS10 will run well on the Playbook or they wouldn't be handing it out as a trial for the OS. They stated a bunch of times that the phones come first and with Q10 around the corner, I would think Playbook OS 10 should come some short after.

Midlands health trust trials BlackBerry 10 OS on PlayBook with Z10 roll-out
    FF22 and daveshiz like this.
    05-13-13 09:13 PM
    I have noticed in the past few months, an increase in the apps made available in the app world. New, fancy apps. I can't help but wonder if this is a sign of greater interest in the playbook market, perhaps gambling on the os release.
    05-13-13 10:21 PM
    I have noticed in the past few months, an increase in the apps made available in the app world. New, fancy apps. I can't help but wonder if this is a sign of greater interest in the playbook market, perhaps gambling on the os release.
    Well now that would be a nice change...But it seems to me we still need a further update of OS10.1 to smooth out some of the issues still at hand. Not knocking the OS...or the Q10 - it Rocks.! but some things are still a pain that hopefully will be smoothed in the future. As a PB 32gb LTE owner...I am quite happy with it for the applications I use if for...if BB10 came to it as rumoured..great, but I'm not pining for it. Would rather have a full blown native Skype for PB instead.

stk
    05-13-13 10:49 PM
    Just made a post on the OP's post for new people reading the thread to find.

Get the feeling the OP never read this post by me: How I'd like to see BlackBerry 10 come to the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

Beyond that, there's not much more to say on my end. I laid it out there pretty freak'n well. In terms of what BlackBerry is going to do with the PlayBook, hoping to find out this week at BBLive. If they don't volunteer up the information, we'll definitely ask for it and see if we get any official word. Definitely would like to see things move faster, but it's pretty clear updating the PlayBook isn't the priority right now for the company - they need to get the BB10 phone experience rocking on all fronts and selling. But for the sake of PlayBook owners, I do hope they get the BB10 apps on board one way or another.

RE: Instagram.. once I'm home from BBWorld I'm gonna buy someone their R/C car. It's gonna rock.

PS. I don't mind criticism - can't please everyone, and in case you didn't notice, we just don't stop around here... we keep working harder and doing more and more to make CB bigger and better. We've gotten so much praise lately for all the work we've been doing I'd feel like something was out of whack if we didn't see some complaints in here.

Gotta jet for now. BBLIve Keynote tomorrow and gotta get stuff prepped!
    05-13-13 11:36 PM
    I am thinking that Kev and Co. are silent cause they know stuff. Hard to keep info. to a minimum when you know something and its confidential. Look at the sheer numbers of readers per site..... eye.more....approx189k driodplace approx1.4 million , windows thingy. 111k and yeah us....almost 4 MILLION readers. yeah. BlackBerry (RIM) owe much to Kevin his teams and the Crackberry readers.
    IMHO
    Slight correction. As of last month AC has 7.2 million readers, CB 2.6 million, IM 1.7 million, and WP 1.2 million.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-13-13 11:44 PM
    PS. I don't mind criticism - can't please everyone, and in case you didn't notice, we just don't stop around here... we Keep Moving
    ftfy
    05-14-13 01:25 AM
    Frankly, I think they lost most of their credibility after Kevin's hair stunt.
    I have to agree wholeheartedly with the loss of credibility.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    lexluthorxx likes this.
    05-14-13 07:41 AM
    Let's see, I baited Kevin (by insinuating that CB just doesn't have the pull to merit further disclosure)...he finally responded to the thread (by promising to inquire about the PB OS 10 situation at BB Live)...mission accomplished!

Sometimes it's just so easy...

RCK
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    05-14-13 07:43 AM
    The whole BB/Hiens/Playbook10/BIS redundancy scenario reminds me of

Last edited by Orange UK; 05-14-13 at 08:15 AM.
    05-14-13 08:02 AM
    The only issue is, how do they expect to have the phone sell well with their history of breaking promises and the vagueness of when BB10 will come out for the PB? It has the fence sitters like myself willing to give up my iPhone not willing to jump to the Z10 because I don’t trust BB yet. Also at the same time I am telling people who come to me for guidance to wait or stay away from BB for now, which really hurts them as I am sure there are lots of people giving the same advice as me. If they backed the PB, gave a date, committed to it, (I can see the phones being a priority) I would probably have a Z10 by now and be showing people the cool phone I have and telling them to get one. I don’t think BB understands how much the PB is thorn in peoples and BB’s side and that it is a great gateway into BB10.

Just made a post on the OP's post for new people reading the thread to find.

Get the feeling the OP never read this post by me: How I'd like to see BlackBerry 10 come to the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

Beyond that, there's not much more to say on my end. I laid it out there pretty freak'n well. In terms of what BlackBerry is going to do with the PlayBook, hoping to find out this week at BBLive. If they don't volunteer up the information, we'll definitely ask for it and see if we get any official word. Definitely would like to see things move faster, but it's pretty clear updating the PlayBook isn't the priority right now for the company - they need to get the BB10 phone experience rocking on all fronts and selling. But for the sake of PlayBook owners, I do hope they get the BB10 apps on board one way or another.

RE: Instagram.. once I'm home from BBWorld I'm gonna buy someone their R/C car. It's gonna rock.

PS. I don't mind criticism - can't please everyone, and in case you didn't notice, we just don't stop around here... we keep working harder and doing more and more to make CB bigger and better. We've gotten so much praise lately for all the work we've been doing I'd feel like something was out of whack if we didn't see some complaints in here.

Gotta jet for now. BBLIve Keynote tomorrow and gotta get stuff prepped!
    05-14-13 04:12 PM
    The only issue is, how do they expect to have the phone sell well with their history of breaking promises and the vagueness of when BB10 will come out for the PB? It has the fence sitters like myself willing to give up my iPhone not willing to jump to the Z10 because I don’t trust BB yet. Also at the same time I am telling people who come to me for guidance to wait or stay away from BB for now, which really hurts them as I am sure there are lots of people giving the same advice as me. If they backed the PB, gave a date, committed to it, (I can see the phones being a priority) I would probably have a Z10 by now and be showing people the cool phone I have and telling them to get one. I don’t think BB understands how much the PB is thorn in peoples and BB’s side and that it is a great gateway into BB10.
    I have a Z10, and some features are cool... HUB, keyboard with great predictive text. But the couple of comparison i've done with friends on the browser didn't blow anyone away. And the facts are there are two many Big and Small apps missing right now, and I'm not sure you are going to see a huge move by developers anytime soon.

My problem is with the rebooting issue with my Z10 and it being less than 30 days I still have an option to change to another device. I want to stick with BB, but the loss of functionality on my PlayBook using the Bridge has me wondering if I should just give up on BB. At this point I don't see us getting anymore update and I doubt we will see too many more app updates either. And I had really hoped that with BB10 we would see a huge influx of QUALITY APPS... right now the PlayBook has only a few really quality apps, and most of the newer Andorid Apps don't work.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-14-13 06:06 PM
    Kevin,

Having both the Dev Alpha and a 1GB RAM Q10, I can tell you that you are just making excuses for BB. I don't see much difference between the 1GB RAM Q10 and the 2GB RAM Q10.

If BB10 doesn't come to the Playbook before the end of the year, BB will be going back to RIMs bad habits of making statements that they don't keep.

OH and BTW, you should know that the 32GB LTE versions of the Playbook have dual core 1.5Mhz processors.
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    05-14-13 08:18 PM
    Kevin,

Having both the Dev Alpha and a 1GB RAM Q10, I can tell you that you are just making excuses for BB. I don't see much difference between the 1GB RAM Q10 and the 2GB RAM Q10.

If BB10 doesn't come to the Playbook before the end of the year, BB will be going back to RIMs bad habits of making statements that they don't keep.

OH and BTW, you should know that the 32GB LTE versions of the Playbook have dual core 1.5Mhz processors.
    He knows and specifically states
    "The WiFi-only PlayBook tablet -- which represents the vast majority of PlayBook owners -- only has 1GB of RAM and its dual core processor runs at 1GHz

05-14-13 08:33 PM
    But for the sake of PlayBook owners, I do hope they get the BB10 apps on board one way or another.
    Just curious what happened to your PlayBook?...

Posted via Z10
    AdityaK likes this.
    05-14-13 08:42 PM
352 ... 23456 ...