09-09-13 03:45 PM
352 12345 ...
tools
    My problem is I'm waiting to see if they are releasing a more powerful PlayBook with 2gb of ram and whatever else they could boost up. So yea i don't know if I should get the current 64gb pb or wait for a new pb announcement

Posted via CB10
    Why would you think they would release an updated PlayBook? Has there been any indication?

So far all I've seen is uncertainty that they will do anything more at all in the tablet arena.
    05-13-13 08:23 AM
    My problem is I'm waiting to see if they are releasing a more powerful PlayBook with 2gb of ram and whatever else they could boost up. So yea i don't know if I should get the current 64gb pb or wait for a new pb announcement

Posted via CB10
    Well, you can wait till later this week to see if they announce anything Tablet related at their Orlando confab. But I suspect (with no more than my "spidey" sense), that there "ain't gonna be none!" Not anytime soon.
    05-13-13 08:45 AM
    Forgive my naivety, but what advantages or improvements are expected with BB10 over 2.1? Will "Thee" apps be available to a BB10 device that are not currently available or is it just a desired change to relieve boredom? I think the predictive typing experience of the BB10 would be great, but nothing to lose sleep over. I haven't used a BB10 device yet (waiting for the US Q) so maybe i just don't "get it".

That said; I do have a pitchfork and some time to kill if there are plans to storm the BB castle...
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-13-13 09:27 AM
    Forgive my naivety, but what advantages or improvements are expected with BB10 over 2.1? Will "Thee" apps be available to a BB10 device that are not currently available or is it just a desired change to relieve boredom? I think the predictive typing experience of the BB10 would be great, but nothing to lose sleep over. I haven't used a BB10 device yet (waiting for the US Q) so maybe i just don't "get it".

That said; I do have a pitchfork and some time to kill if there are plans to storm the BB castle...
    Exactly that plus benefits from a better base for the OS and the browser and other things are adobe air based which makes them slower than they should be. Plus as it is now the pb doesn't do cascades which effects as you said the new apps.
    reschp likes this.
    05-13-13 09:44 AM

I got tar heating on the back burner and an old down sleeping bag for feathers. Just waiting for the call to arms.

As for the less serious part of your reply: a supposedly faster, more robust browser and, yes, new apps that run on the newer BB10.
    JeepBB and joshua_sx1 like this.
    05-13-13 10:21 AM
    I got tar heating on the back burner and an old down sleeping bag for feathers. Just waiting for the call to arms.

As for the less serious part of your reply: a supposedly faster, more robust browser and, yes, new apps that run on the newer BB10.
    The 5K thread has an angry pantless mob too. We went after the groundhog for being wrong about an early spring
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-13-13 10:46 AM

I can't say I understand most of your post but I did pick up on the castle bit! It just so happens that I have a plan in mind to storm a castle type thingy building and you can be a member of the team if you want to. Just let me know your availability and I will find a castle thingy building and we can attack it!

(sound of silent deep thought and a lonely pencil making scribbled notes on parchment in a cellar)

ps (and sounds of bottles clinking)
    05-13-13 11:44 AM
    I thought i read somewhere that there is a tablet to be launched this year as one of the potential devices. If this is true, it only makes sense to launch that first and then after the product sells then release playbook update.

I'm pretty sure once they decide on if a new tablet will be released or not, only then will we get this update on the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 12:14 PM
    I thought i read somewhere that there is a tablet to be launched this year as one of the potential devices. If this is true, it only makes sense to launch that first and then after the product sells then release playbook update.

I'm pretty sure once they decide on if a new tablet will be released or not, only then will we get this update on the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure there's plenty of "read somewhere" speculation but I've not seen anything on any leaked plans and any comments have merely suggested that all there is, is uncertainty as to whether BlackBerry will do anything else in the tablet market.
    05-13-13 12:31 PM
    There's no reason why BB10 can't run on the older playbook. As we've seen with the Z10, BB10 OS runs perfectly fine using yesterday's specs, within limits. The biggest limitation to the Playbook is the lower RAMM (1GB) which I think can be overcome pretty simply through reducing the number of possible active frames (say from 8 to 4, for example). Which, imho, is an acceptable tradeoff.

The other variable is the different screen resolution of the playbook. The Q10 runs a different version of BBOS from the Z10 to take into account the reduced screen resolution. Here's the varying resolutions of the three devices:

Z10 resolution: 1280 x 768 / Aspect Ratio: 1.67:1
    Q10 resolution: 720 x 720 / Aspect Ratio: 1:1
    PB resolution: 1024 x 600 / Aspect Ratio: 1.71:1

The PB aspect ratio is close to the Z10 so my guess is that a slightly modified version of the Z10 OS will be the model for the PB that they're working on... Both are within the margins of the standard 16x9 ratio. Going forward, my guess is that they will 'standardize' to strict 16x9 ratios and that the Z10 and legacy Playbook will be anomalies going forward and that the two versions of BB10 will be merged to service the all touch phones and tablets.

Anyway, there's no question that they will deliver BB10 for the legacy Playbook as a 'proof of concept', to help sell the new OS. Reading between the lines from Thorsten Heins' public statements, licensing is an important part of Blackberry's future revenue model to replace the service revenue they are losing from abandoning legacy BB OS.

I too think that they are planning on getting back into the tablet business, I'm just not sure if they are going to make the actual hardware with the software or just license the OS. Given what TH has said about margins on tablets, my guess is that his plan is to try and license and let others worry about the hardware.

Anyway, my $0.02. Not a doubt in my mind that BB10 on Playbook is coming. When? I dunno, within a few months is my guess.
    05-13-13 01:27 PM
    I can't say I understand most of your post but I did pick up on the castle bit! It just so happens that I have a plan in mind to storm a castle type thingy building and you can be a member of the team if you want to. Just let me know your availability and I will find a castle thingy building and we can attack it!

(sound of silent deep thought and a lonely pencil making scribbled notes on parchment in a cellar)

ps (and sounds of bottles clinking)
    oohh ooohh can we build a trojan horse?!!!
    FF22 likes this.
    05-13-13 02:39 PM
    That clearly was the personal decision he came to, as he didn't give away the real car. He also hasn't given away an R/C car either. And I'm glad you used the word "promise", because it surely was.

Kevin made a promise (twice!) that if Instagram wasn't here by specific dates, he would give away a car (not a Z10, Q10, or cuddly toy!). Hasn't happened. Hence my belief that he lacks credibility.

And, before we get a shedload of defensive posts saying that the Instagram release isn't in Kevin's power, I do realise that and I actually agree with you! However, knowing that, I wouldn't have (twice!) made the promise, and had I been foolish enough to do so I'd have felt obligated to fulfil that promise or risk losing future credibility... which I think is the point where we started.
    Yes, I agree with all you've said in principle, and indeed it does hurt the credibility of CB badly! I also feel sympathy for Kevin because, frankly, it sucks to be a BB fan....the blunt truth is: the company is unreliable.

Some people on the forum say stupid things all day, every day, but they aren't ultimately held accountable so it goes on and on. Kevin can't do that, and he got burned (I do wish he had been more "straight-up" about it though when he did get burned - he couldn't find a more forgiving audience!). I don't think Kevin would have said such extremely definite things had he not had insider info - bad insider info! Like BB saying things like: by the time you can buy the z10 in the states, this app - oh it will be there.....WRONG. No retraction, no apology, no explanation. LOL. That may be part of the reason for some of the silence now!

Not only does Kevin probably know they're unreliable, but I think BB itself knows they're unreliable, so even BB doesn't give much info. (besides the fact, that they're also simply waiting to see how sales go, to see what they can/should do)

That sort of brings me back to the PB....yes, the PB is dead from a financial perspective, HOWEVER ( besides some great points already made - increasing BB10 user base etc), I feel PB users DESERVE it. LIke I said, frankly - it sucks to be a BB fan....nowhere is that more true than for the long-suffering PB owners - particularly the early adopters (in terms of promises unfulfilled, and price drop, one of the worst products, from a huge company, in a long time). If nothing else, the loyalists, and die-hards deserve this (at the least!!!). Presumably, most of the work is done - it better be by now...it should have been running LONG AGO. Get it out to these loyalists promptly.....or at least give them a real date! Come on BB! Just letting them hang like this - every day of this is a disservice to them. At least say: by June, by Aug.....by Nov if you have to!
    Last edited by richardat; 05-13-13 at 03:18 PM.
    uncle_numpty and JeepBB like this.
    05-13-13 03:03 PM
    What profits?? I'm waiting for bb10 to come on PlayBook before I buy it. Or a new model with better specs.
    Posted via CB10
    BB10 on legacy Playbook will be about Proof of Concept, not profits. Just to show that it can run on older hardware. Kinda like running Linux on older x86 PCs... It's about selling the OS to hardware vendors, imho.
    05-13-13 03:11 PM
    I don't believe that you will see BB10 running on the PlayBook despite what BlackBerry might have stated previously.

The PlayBook lacks the extra 1GB of RAM which the Z10 has in order to run the OS smoothly. BlackBerry put the extra RAM into the Z10 for a reason, because BB10 didn't function as well on 1GB. I believe that the hardware is a definite factor in BlackBerry avoiding BB10 on the PlayBook. The other factors are most likely financial and resource allocation.

That's my hunch, and only my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    CairnsRock likes this.
    05-13-13 03:15 PM
    I don't believe that you will see BB10 running on the PlayBook despite what BlackBerry might have stated previously.

The PlayBook lacks the extra 1GB of RAM which the Z10 has in order to run the OS smoothly. BlackBerry put the extra RAM into the Z10 for a reason, because BB10 didn't function as well on 1GB. I believe that the hardware is a definite factor in BlackBerry avoiding BB10 on the PlayBook. The other factors are most likely financial and resource allocation.

Posted via CB10
    Pretty sure you're wrong, no offense! It WILL work on the Playbook just fine, but it will be a mod for sure.
    05-13-13 03:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    The only tablet to be launched will be antacid 'tablet' ... I'm sure Thor has a bucket full of tablets...for all occasions
    FF22 and JeepBB like this.
    05-13-13 03:28 PM
    Pretty sure you're wrong, no offense! It WILL work on the Playbook just fine, but it will be a mod for sure.
    We shall see. I'd love for my PlayBook to get an update to BB10. However I'll stand by my prediction.

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 03:30 PM
    Announcement at BBLive:

In regard to BB10 on the Playbook. We will not be releasing it later this year.

We will be releasing it right now!

#ICanDream

Posted via CB10 with the Dev Alpha C
    05-13-13 03:58 PM
    oohh ooohh can we build a trojan horse?!!!
    Rim did it - they snuck the pb into our homes and offices as a professional tablet - boy, were we fooled.
    05-13-13 04:05 PM
    As much as I would like to see BB10 on my PB, I ain't holding my breath. IF Thor has any plans to do so, it will be as a PB2. As almost everyone here has pointed out, Blackberry is in the business to make a profit, something that they didn't do with the current tablet. I wouldn't fault them for coming out with a new devise with BB10 and I would probably be one of the first in line to buy a PB2.
    05-13-13 04:08 PM
    As much as I would like to see BB10 on my PB, I ain't holding my breath. IF Thor has any plans to do so, it will be as a PB2. As almost everyone here has pointed out, Blackberry is in the business to make a profit, something that they didn't do with the current tablet. I wouldn't fault them for coming out with a new devise with BB10 and I would probably be one of the first in line to buy a PB2.
    Oh so they just love to Pizz off their customers and make more false claims just to keep them hanging on for a little while longer? That makes perfect sense. That'll keep em coming back.
    05-13-13 04:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    The dev devices ran on 1gb of ram so you are wrong

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 04:28 PM
    I do not mind getting a PB2, Not until BB make an attempt to update PB 1 first. I got the money to spend but not if the company does not fulfill it's commitment. As much as I'm a fan, it's still a business decision. Without compelling reason as to why BB10 can't get to PB 1, I'm afraid I will let the fanatics boost my investment while I employ another company for my personal devices.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-13-13 04:31 PM
    It would be a very bad move if they don't update to BB10...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 04:37 PM
    I am thinking that Kev and Co. are silent cause they know stuff. Hard to keep info. to a minimum when you know something and its confidential. Look at the sheer numbers of readers per site..... eye.more....approx189k driodplace approx1.4 million , windows thingy. 111k and yeah us....almost 4 MILLION readers. yeah. BlackBerry (RIM) owe much to Kevin his teams and the Crackberry readers.

IMHO
    05-13-13 04:42 PM
352 12345 ...