JeepBB, I'm not trying to declare that it's impossible that the PlayBook update will be killed off, I'm just saying that if it is cancelled, there will be an announcement to that effect.
    So, we'll see. Seven months.

I'm more than happy for BB to take my words as a direct challenge and prove me wrong.

What leads you to believe that they would just hope we all forget? Again, since Heins has been CEO, I think BlackBerry has actually done a great job of engaging its community and being reasonably clear in its intentions.
    Actually, I believe Heins to be the worst CEO communicator I've ever heard. He has terrible stage presence, rarely answers a direct question with a direct answer, on taking over as CEO was initially quoted as saying that he didn't actually see much wrong with RIM as a company, and I've rarely seen any of his reported statements since that aren't rapidly followed-up by a BB statement distancing itself from his words or claiming that he'd been misinterpreted.

The most recent example of this is his "tablets dead in 5 years" statement, and the BB follow-up that "Thor wasn't talking about playbook. We still haven't determined our playbook strategy, and we'll let you know when we have".

He's a hopeless communicator, but again that's simply my opinion. Your opinion of Thor obviously differs, but neither of us is "wrong".
    05-19-13 07:11 AM
    So, we'll see. Seven months.

I'm more than happy for BB to take my words as a direct challenge and prove me wrong.

Actually, I believe Heins to be the worst CEO communicator I've ever heard. He has terrible stage presence, rarely answers a direct question with a direct answer, on taking over as CEO was initially quoted as saying that he didn't actually see much wrong with RIM as a company, and I've rarely seen any of his reported statements since that aren't rapidly followed-up by a BB statement distancing itself from his words or claiming that he'd been misinterpreted.

The most recent example of this is his "tablets dead in 5 years" statement, and the BB follow-up that "Thor wasn't talking about playbook. We still haven't determined our playbook strategy, and we'll let you know when we have".

He's a hopeless communicator, but again that's simply my opinion. Your opinion of Thor obviously differs, but neither of us is "wrong".
    I'm with you on this one JeepBB all the way. I fear for the damage he does to the BB company reputation (what's left of it) every time he opens his mouth in public which luckily for bb is not frequently. He doesn't even know we exist but he must frighten the poor shareholders to death every time they know he's going to make a statement on behalf of BB!

Me thinks the gearbox between his brain and his mouth is fully automatic transmission instead of being the better selectronic version!
    JeepBB and NoodlesMcFilthy like this.
    05-19-13 07:25 AM
    So here is a front page summary article on one of the two sessions at the conference that mentioned a tablet.

What does the article below suggest about developer tools for bb10--would they include a playbook or not?
    One app three devices: Helping webworks developers build applications for multiple form factors | CrackBerry.com
    05-19-13 07:32 AM
    While I think Thorsten could use a little media coaching, and I'll even agree he's not always completely direct in his responses, I think he has a clear sense of BlackBerry's challenges and he's done a great job of setting a vision and a recovery path for the company.

He says things that can easily be pulled out of context, which is where the media coaching comes in. That "tablets will be dead in five years" comment sounds ludicrous until you listen a little further and realize that he's saying our mobiles will be doing all the connecting and processing, but we still might have a "dumb" tablet-sized screen that will easily connect. I don't know if I completely buy that as a prediction myself, but it's an interesting idea and consistent with the "mobile computing" vision.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    05-19-13 07:33 AM
    While I think Thorsten could use a little media coaching, and I'll even agree he's not always completely direct in his responses, I think he has a clear sense of BlackBerry's challenges and he's done a great job of setting a vision and a recovery path for the company.

He says things that can easily be pulled out of context, which is where the media coaching comes in. That "tablets will be dead in five years" comment sounds ludicrous until you listen a little further and realize that he's saying our mobiles will be doing all the connecting and processing, but we still might have a "dumb" tablet-sized screen that will easily connect. I don't know if I completely buy that as a prediction myself, but it's an interesting idea and consistent with the "mobile computing" vision.

Sorry I just don't buy into any of this new vision of his. If we are talking about salesman or managers giving presentations in meetings then yes. It's easier than lugging around a pc or projector to give a presentation on. For the normal man in the street though, why would he want to carry a screen around with him just to display an enlarged version of what his mobile phone is doing? Two devices doing exactly the same job? They can go into public places and utilise the large screen display for their handsets? I can just see the guests queuing up now in the lounge of the Hilton Hotel to use the screens while everyone else watches what they are doing?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    05-19-13 08:17 AM
    I can give you a use case. I read a lot of magazines, and I've taken to subscribing to digital editions. They're a little hard to read on my phone, though, so it would be great if I could just carry my whole collection with me and just read them on whichever screen is handy.

05-19-13 08:21 AM
    I can give you a use case. I read a lot of magazines, and I've taken to subscribing to digital editions. They're a little hard to read on my phone, though, so it would be great if I could just carry my whole collection with me and just read them on whichever screen is handy.

Now just in passing, here's an interesting novel way to use your pb!!!!!!!!!! Connect your existing pb to your phone through bridge and read 'THE BIG SCREEN'S pb?

Now why didn't I think of that? Oh I know because RIM disabled the bridge on bb10 to keep the carriers happy that's why!
    tstrike34 and JJRabbits like this.
    05-19-13 08:59 AM
    Oh I know because RIM disabled the bridge on bb10 to keep the carriers happy that's why!
    The carriers shouldn't have problems with bridge except for the internet share? That part of bridge still exists?
    05-19-13 09:29 AM

I guess I can see a case for the 'dumb' screen concept - basically, when I went to Europe, rather than my pb, I'd have taken the screen and use it. So, the cost of such a screen would be less since it would not need onboard memory (or not much) and other processing power. More room for batteries - as I understand the screen light uses much of the power (unless playing some intensive game).

But since it is not here yet, I do hope that they FIX the Bridge that we did have since as Sad-Old noted, we had those very functions until the bb10 phones came without it. But maybe HE does not want to spend the money on bring bridge back to pb and bb10 users???? You do seem to have some inside info or your crystal ball is better than most.
    05-19-13 09:51 AM
    Apple, Google and Microsoft are already doing the mobile computing Heins can only dream about. The same Web services and most of the same apps are accessible from a bunch of form factors on the same platform. If I were a masochist and wanted to read a Zinio magazine on my iPhone, I could, but I could also read it on my iPad since the app is the same. My Skydrive cloud storage is accessible from my Symbian phone, Android tablet and Windows PC as long as there's some form of Internet connectivity.

Bridge turned the PB into a dumb terminal/big screen for a BB phone. It was a good option when it was too costly and complicated to have a cellular radio on the PB that could access the BB network without additional BIS/BES provisioning but now it's become a legacy function. Palm tried that dumb terminal idea with their Foleo and that was killed before it even launched. I think we're moving towards a multitude of cheaper, smarter devices which seamlessly share data, instead of a big powerful smartphone that hooks up to a bunch of dumb screens.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-19-13 09:53 AM
    On the second thought, only those without tablet would download and patiently read eMagazines on their mobile. If you have a tablet, why would you use your mobile for reading? "Dumb" tablet maybe workable on this particular purpose. But again, you will end up in buying an independent tablet that is usable without connecting or integrating into a mobile instead of being dependent to another device. The tablet is simply useless without the phone. And when you lost or damaged the phone, the tablet becomes handicap - unless connected again to another phone.

If you are familiar with 80's robot craze, Mazinger Z is like that. it is a dumb robot until the Hover Pilder dock itself into Mazinger's head. Unlike Voltes V, they are independent and individually powerful machines that when volt together, it converts into a more powerful robot. The previous BlackBerry's phone (running in OS7) and the PlayBook is like Voltes V. They are powerful independent devices that when volt (a.k.a. "bridge") together they become powerful device that can beat the "i" and "A" Boazanians' empires...

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-19-13 10:08 AM
    On the second thought, only those without tablet would download and patiently read eMagazines on their mobile. If you have a tablet, why would you use your mobile for reading? "Dumb" tablet maybe workable on this particular purpose. But again, you will end up in buying an independent tablet that is usable without connecting or integrating into a mobile instead of being dependent to another device. The tablet is simply useless without the phone. And when you lost or damaged the phone, the tablet becomes handicap - unless connected again to another phone.

If you are familiar with 80's robot craze, Mazinger Z is like that. it is a dumb robot until the Hover Pilder dock itself into Mazinger's head. Unlike Voltes V, they are independent and individually powerful machines that when volt together, it converts into a more powerful robot. The previous BlackBerry's phone (running in OS7) and the PlayBook is like Voltes V. They are powerful independent devices that when volt (a.k.a. "bridge") together they become powerful device that can beat the "i" and "A" Boazanians' empires...

Posted via Z10
    Could you just tell me, did the robot read eMagazines?
    johnnyuk likes this.
    05-19-13 03:21 PM
    I think Thor could take a pic of himself squatting over the PlayBook like Kevin did with the iPad and their would be plenty of people on here that would say he still has till December 31, and when that date passes just say he never said PlayBook would get BB10 or come up with a ton of other excuses for them. You are died in the wool apologist fan boys and are no better than the iDroid trolls that polytechnic the forums. BBRY can do no wrong, never misleads customers and in the rare case they do then it is for the better of the company and everyone is whiners. It is thinking like this thought brought RIM to the brink of oblivion and you guys should stop revising history, study it, and realize that doing the same thing again, again, and again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity!

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 03:39 PM
    I think Thor could take a pic of himself squatting over the PlayBook like Kevin did with the iPad and their would be plenty of people on here that would say he still has till December 31, and when that date passes just say he never said PlayBook would get BB10 or come up with a ton of other excuses for them. You are died in the wool apologist fan boys and are no better than the iDroid trolls that polytechnic the forums. BBRY can do no wrong, never misleads customers and in the rare case they do then it is for the better of the company and everyone is whiners. It is thinking like this thought brought RIM to the brink of oblivion and you guys should stop revising history, study it, and realize that doing the same thing again, again, and again and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity!

Posted via CB10
    Excuse me a moment sir but I feel I must correct you. That is definitely, definitely not the definition of insanity and I should know better than most about that subject!.

Secondly how do you polytechnic a forum?

I also failed History as a subject. (I didn't really but I thought it might make you feel better)
    05-19-13 04:03 PM
    Now just in passing, here's an interesting novel way to use your pb!!!!!!!!!! Connect your existing pb to your phone through bridge and read 'THE BIG SCREEN'S pb?

Now why didn't I think of that? Oh I know because RIM disabled the bridge on bb10 to keep the carriers happy that's why!
    A dumb screen only needs a display and Bluetooth. Such a device would be much lighter and cheaper than a self-contained tablet.

05-19-13 04:57 PM
    Btw, Bridge still works the way it always has with OS7 and earlier...

I'm guessing here, but Bridge to BB10 didn't get all the legacy features implemented because the assumption was that the tablet would be getting BB10 soon, too. When the update comes for the PlayBook I would gather that much--if not all - - Bridge functionality will be restored.

05-19-13 05:03 PM

I'm guessing here, but Bridge to BB10 didn't get all the legacy features implemented because the assumption was that the tablet would be getting BB10 soon, too. When the update comes for the PlayBook I would gather that much--if not all - - Bridge functionality will be restored.

I hope you're right. we have no idea what the update will do for us, if we get it. we also better make sure we love it as I'm sure you cannot go back to 2.1

Sent from an ATM
    FF22 likes this.
    05-19-13 05:25 PM

I sure hope you are correct. I'm not missing it at the moment since I still have bridged data, but I just really want to stop hearing about the lack of bridge functionality, haha
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-19-13 05:39 PM
    Excuse me a moment sir but I feel I must correct you. That is definitely, definitely not the definition of insanity and I should know better than most about that subject!.

Secondly how do you polytechnic a forum?

I also failed History as a subject. (I didn't really but I thought it might make you feel better)
    Sorry meant to say proliferate and the auto correct had a different idea.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-19-13 05:47 PM
    Oh, and in the midst of all this discussion, an idea struck me...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=809141

05-19-13 06:36 PM
    I sure hope you are correct. I'm not missing it at the moment since I still have bridged data, but I just really want to stop hearing about the lack of bridge functionality, haha
    I am SOOOO with you on that. Especially after this week.

SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-19-13 07:12 PM
    Sorry meant to say proliferate and the auto correct had a different idea.

Posted via CB10
    Now it's strange you should mention that because I have the same problem. So much so that I feel at times like my playbook is saying to me "I know what you want to say but I'm in a mood to say this instead". Mind you sometimes I don't argue with it because what it is saying is far more intelligent that what I typed!
    Last edited by sad_old_man; 05-20-13 at 01:00 PM.
    05-20-13 06:33 AM
    Could you just tell me, did the robot read eMagazines?
    I probably missed that episode... :-(

Posted via Z10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-20-13 08:34 AM
    Not quite sure how you figure it'll be lighter. It will still need a battery and thats probably in the order of 80% of it's total weight.
    They put the Z10 battery inside it silly! That means it's only 2% of the total weight. Problem solved.
    05-20-13 12:03 PM
    A dumb screen only needs a display and Bluetooth. Such a device would be much lighter and cheaper than a self-contained tablet.

Not quite sure how you figure it'll be lighter. It will still need a battery and thats probably in the order of 80% of it's total weight.
    sad_old_man and EchoesFX like this.
    05-20-13 12:31 PM
352 ... 1011121314 ...