The argument that it doesn't make business sense to bring bb10 to the Playbook is ludicrous.

10.0.6 worked on the playbook
    10.0.9 didn't (broken intentionally by bbry?)
    10.0.9 or higher release works on the device alpha, which is essentially a small playbook.....

There are implementation issues , but really how many man hours to polish this? 4000...essentially $300k. of which they'd receive a tax credit for all the r&d.....

Posted via CB10
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-18-13 09:33 AM
    The argument that it doesn't make business sense to bring bb10 to the Playbook is ludicrous.

10.0.6 worked on the playbook
    10.0.9 didn't (broken intentionally by bbry?)
    10.0.9 or higher release works on the device alpha, which is essentially a small playbook.....

There are implementation issues , but really how many man hours to polish this? 4000...essentially $300k. of which they'd receive a tax credit for all the r&d.....

Posted via CB10
    wait a moment isn't the dev alpha 1024x600 ? witch literally is a smaller playbook ?
    05-18-13 09:36 AM
    It reminds me of Samsung saying it couldn't fit an ICS build on to older Galaxy S2 phones, when it actually couldn't get things working with its crap skin. Hackers managed to get a clean ICS ROM on those old phones and proved Samsung wrong.

Now it looks like BBRY is doing the same thing by blaming inadequate hardware for their own incompetence. They don't need the stupid FIPS "security" features that looks good for a few corporate bigwigs and government types, they should just unlock the bootloader so users can experiment with leaked BB10 builds, Android or Ubuntu. The PB is dead, the least they should do is to open it up.
    Eskibo likes this.
    05-18-13 10:08 AM
    It reminds me of Samsung saying it couldn't fit an ICS build on to older Galaxy S2 phones, when it actually couldn't get things working with its crap skin. Hackers managed to get a clean ICS ROM on those old phones and proved Samsung wrong.

Now it looks like BBRY is doing the same thing by blaming inadequate hardware for their own incompetence. They don't need the stupid FIPS "security" features that looks good for a few corporate bigwigs and government types, they should just unlock the bootloader so users can experiment with leaked BB10 builds, Android or Ubuntu. The PB is dead, the least they should do is to open it up.
    Yeah, 'cos they're bound to make much more money offa enthusiastic amateurs who like to experiment with ROMs than corporate bigwigs and government types...

<shakes his head in sadness and wanders off due to the ineptitude...>
    05-18-13 10:23 AM
    There's no more money to be made off the PlayBook. Production has stopped, accessories are rare as hen's teeth, yet BBRY still think they can flog the damn thing to corporate and government buyers. Either that or they want to leave the segment completely, judging by Thor's "no tablets in 5 years" remark.

That's why they should just unlock the bootloader and let users continue using it with their own software. If I buy a Mac now, Apple will probably drop support for it a few years down the line, but I can still install other OSes like Linux or Windows and continue using the device. Can't do that with the PlayBook because BBRY deems security so important that it's worth shafting users over.
    05-18-13 10:35 AM
    There's no more money to be made off the PlayBook. Production has stopped, accessories are rare as hen's teeth, yet BBRY still think they can flog the damn thing to corporate and government buyers. That's why they should just unlock the bootloader and let users continue using it with their own software.
    WHY should they?

They've everything to lose, and nothing to gain.

There's no wonder there's no end of feckless arguments made in these forums, sometimes people haven't the faintest clue, or conception of empathy with what a big corporate would choose to do and why.

Here's a clue - just because it's in your interests and that of a rag-tag band of small enthusiasts, it's a light-year away from the interests of a company like BlackBerry.
    05-18-13 10:39 AM
    What is there to lose by opening up the PlayBook?

BBRY can't seem to commit to bring BB10 to PB yet they also don't want to open up the device. Either way, the PB will not receive much-needed updates from enthusiasts or official developers.

It is a dead end product where no one can do anything to fix it.

Edit: why should I have any emphathy towards a corporation that lures buyers in with glittering promises, strings them along with vague dates and then dumps them by the roadside when something new comes along?
    05-18-13 10:44 AM
    Sorry but at the moment Kevins team seem to be a little preoccupied with coding my account with a very annoying pop-up screen that activates every few minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook BB10 Update - Why is Kevin and co silent ?-img_00000038.jpg  
    05-18-13 10:44 AM
    I'm pretty sure it would cost the company more (ie the potential security holes that might apply to bb10 devices) if they opened up the playbook instead of putting some minor resources on it, heck I'm betting you could throw half a dozen coop students at it and get it done...there is not much difference between a dev alpha and a playbook....

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:48 AM
    Let's get started then Any root vulnerabilities and any way to rewrite the system partition to install any other OS?

BBRY is now stuck between screwing PB users one way or another. They can't open it up because it could also compromise BB10, yet they can't bring BB10 to PB because they don't know how.
    05-18-13 10:49 AM
    @sadoldman - are you in the UK? If you ever see those pop up ads, they shouldn't happen more than once per day on a given browser (assuming you're browsing normal and allow cookies). We had an issue with with UK visitors were getting that ad too often. I'll escalate so it's addressed.

EVERYBODY - traveling home from BBLive today - didn't get my post up yet. But hit up this thread and leave some concise playbook related comments on it. Going to pull community quotes for article: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=808501

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man and Eskibo like this.
    05-18-13 10:57 AM
    What is there to lose by opening up the PlayBook?
    What do they gain by it? They could potentially find the security of the current PB OS compromised which would be of considerable concern to big corporates and government departments.

BBRY can't seem to commit to bring BB10 to PB yet they also don't want to open up the device. Either way, the PB will not receive much-needed updates from enthusiasts or official developers.
    Whether, or not, BB10 comes to the PlayBook, is irrelevant. When was the last official update for the PlayBook OS? It's not like it was a year ago.

It is a dead end product where no one can do anything to fix it.
    The modding community isn't primarily focused in fixing - they tend to be more interested in running other stuff - why would that possibly be of any benefit, if not cost, to BlackBerry?

It's different for a middling product, with little company resources to do a decent and thorough job of implementing open source software, so they unofficially let the modding community continue the work for those that are interested.

Whether, or not, you get it, BlackBerry have nothing to gain, and a fair amount to lose by unlocking the boatloader and making it open season for the PlayBook.

Edit: why should I have any emphathy towards a corporation that lures buyers in with glittering promises, strings them along with vague dates and then dumps them by the roadside when something new comes along?
    I'm not arguing you should have empathy for a company because of how you infer they've treated you / others as customers - I'm not making an argument about caring. I'm suggesting it makes sense to have empathy for how such a company works and "thinks" when suggesting they should do something with one of their products - I'm making an argument about understanding, beyond the normal dilettante, have-a-go-hero, firmware modder.
    05-18-13 10:57 AM
    They are silent, because BB10 won't come to Playbook. Because Playbook is dead to them. And to be honest, Blackberry is dead to the world from every angle that is possible. They couldn't prove the world wrong with BB10 and the new phones. So yeah, of course they are silent, because there is nothing they can do. A minor android update is a bigger thing than the whole BB10 platform, a mediocre Android phone is better than the new Z10, if Larry Page coughs, the world is more shocked than the whole Blackberry keynote. And I didn't even speak about Apple. They **** on their own customers, they practically lie to them. And this new movement of theirs, bringing BBM to other platforms is the proof that they know that they are dying, the least they can do, is to at least hold on to those few unlucky bastards, who bought the Z10 until it is available everywhere. 2013 is the last year of this company, I guess they are trying to transfer their money elsewhere to save it, not pouring it to something that is already dead. Both the playbook and the whole blackberry. And to be honest, I kinda think they deserved it with their arrogant attitude.
    Totally agree. Thor last public sentences are from someone who is desperate; "tablets are dead" "apple is dead" and so on ... Making the 2 hit American singer Alicia Keys manager or creative of nothing, it's the final desperate move!
    05-18-13 11:09 AM
    I have a playbook being managed by bes 10, through IBM, with balance enabled. I believe this is all they are talking about in the midlands article.

By the way I love Balance on both my z10 and my playbook

Posted via CB10
    bluenote likes this.
    05-18-13 11:10 AM
    @sadoldman - are you in the UK? If you ever see those pop up ads, they shouldn't happen more than once per day on a given browser (assuming you're browsing normal and allow cookies). We had an issue with with UK visitors were getting that ad too often. I'll escalate so it's addressed.

EVERYBODY - traveling home from BBLive today - didn't get my post up yet. But hit up this thread and leave some concise playbook related comments on it. Going to pull community quotes for article: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=808501

Posted via CB10
    Hi Kevin, yes I am in the UK. I am browsing normal using the native browser set to accept cookies. Normally I never see this screen at all but now it appears everyone I read a thread or return back to the home screen after reading a thread.

I appreciate your comment and I am well aware of your teams capabilities when asked to respond to a members issues so I will monitor the issue until your team respond. Thank you.
    05-18-13 01:51 PM
    All I want to know is yes or no, will BB10 be coming to the playbook. Yes or no, will the playbook get any kind of update which allows it to run BB10 apps and have the better browser etc. Yes or no will TXT and BBM be on the playbook.
    05-18-13 02:11 PM
    All I want to know is yes or no, will BB10 be coming to the playbook. Yes or no, will the playbook get any kind of update which allows it to run BB10 apps and have the better browser etc. Yes or no will TXT and BBM be on the playbook.
    And I bet that all you want for Christmas is your two front teeth!
    sad_old_man, kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    05-18-13 02:50 PM
    And I bet that all you want for Christmas is your two front teeth!
    I got those last year
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    05-18-13 03:09 PM

EVERYBODY - traveling home from BBLive today - didn't get my post up yet. But hit up this thread and leave some concise playbook related comments on it. Going to pull community quotes for article: BlackBerry Live: What We Didn't Get - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    Kevin I'm UK and I get the popup every few pages on stock browser, Fast Browser blocks it though.

Sounds good I'll keep an eye out for your PB article.
    05-18-13 06:05 PM
    I got those last year
    Well no PB10 then, you can't have it all,.1 outta 2 means you got 50% and that's a BB pass rate
    05-18-13 06:09 PM
    Heh - there won't be an official cancellation. Why would Blackberry deliberately court bad PR by announcing anything?

Instead, January 1st 2014 will arrive, and BB10 on PB won't.

Just my opinion, Blackberry have 7 months to prove me wrong.
    There, you're wrong.

If this update IS cancelled, I believe it will be acknowledged formally. I'm reasonably sure it won't be necessary, but I do think they'd be up front about it in the event they had to cancel.

The only commitment BlackBerry has actually gone back on since Heins took over was the cancelation of Theme Builder for OS7. They did announce this, and shortly afterwards a leak of the close-to-final TB7 mysteriously appeared.

I think my problem with this whole discussion is that the accusation of dishonesty is grossly unfair to BlackBerry management.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    SlcCorrado and Chaddface like this.
    05-18-13 11:36 PM
    There, you're wrong.

If this update IS cancelled, I believe it will be acknowledged formally. I'm reasonably sure it won't be necessary, but I do think they'd be up front about it in the event they had to cancel.

The only commitment BlackBerry has actually gone back on since Heins took over was the cancelation of Theme Builder for OS7. They did announce this, and shortly afterwards a leak of the close-to-final TB7 mysteriously appeared.

I think my problem with this whole discussion is that the accusation of dishonesty is grossly unfair to BlackBerry management.

I agree with your last statement - no lies have occurred as the year still has more than half of it left. But I think the way Thor addressed the pb and bb10 issue at Orlando's Q&A really blew folks cool. It seemed arrogant and maybe he is tired of addressing the issue but he's the public face of a public corporation. It certainly could lead readers/listeners to doubt the commitment to make bb10 available. Their bt keyboard has seemed to have disappeared. No official comments but it is just gone. So credibility is out there - hanging.

I just hope he's not as p1ssed at the pb community as the pb community is p1ssed at him and kills it out of spite.

So seven months and a couple of weeks and we should know.............
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-13 12:01 AM
    There, you're wrong.

Grossly unfair indeed, Q1 after Z10 launch....Joan Rivers vag has seen more movement and action in 2013 than Playbook, at least Joan don't lie and say it has trying to be comical whereas BlackBerry...can say what they will deliver then sit back in dishonesty with no mention or apology, they were quick enough to say sorry we fuked up Z10 will be a month later even though that missed the biggest sales holiday of the year...

I've lost most my faith in BlackBerry and my loyalty was quite new circa 2006 Pearl. Refusing to replace a brand NEW Storm with the hardware standby black screen of death lost me. Pearl3G got me back as only UMA handset available with numeric keypad, 9 months in my Pearl3 would not load 3 BB app world versions Dec 2011 onwards, nothing worked for 6 months so I reverted to another mobile even though I paid for BIS as part of my contract and could not cancel even JUST my BB services until my 24 month term was up.

Bought Playbook as �130 and BB UK helpline assure me ALL BIS traffic bridged was included, I asked about BIS and new Z10 including these and BB10 coming to PB, assured all were answered YES.

Well Z10 no bridge and no BIS, no PB BB10, now should I be happy at BlackBerry as a consumer EVERY product or advice from them is worth as much as Joan Rivers vag to a homosexual male.

Add to that BBUK help script reader told me PB App World was available via BIS, Erm NO - I had come CB to find that out.

Blessing in disgust Pearl3 eventually got the OS sorted where my phone would not freeze after BB Apple World clicked, but hey hoe no email or BBM working, low and behold 2 days ago BBM starts working out the blue...amazing all this happened after my 24 months warranty expiry :rollseyes:

Fools...Actually Microsoft taking BlackBerry is a blessing in disguise, they maybe ****e at times but Microsoft sorts it fuk ups out pronto compared to RIM (my azz)

Good morning everyone, from a overcast Scotland
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-19-13 12:06 AM
    There, you're wrong.
    Erm, No.

Neither of us is arbiter of truth in this instance.

Whilst it may be your opinion that BB wouldn't just let the clock run out without a formal announcement, my opinion is that they will. By January 1st 2014, one of us will be wrong.

As I said, BB have 7 months to prove me wrong.

Also, in case the accusations part of your post was directed at me, I don't believe that I've ever accused anyone here on the forums, inside or outside of BB, of dishonesty. My issue with BB is with their credibility.

I have no idea why anyone, especially here on a Playbook forum given their history of OS2/Email announcements that came to nothing, would take any tweet from AlecS (in particular) or MichaelC as a meaningful statement. And recently, Thor avoided a simple question (from AdamZ?) in the post-presentation Q&A session of whether BB10 would come to PB. All Thor had to answer was: "Yes", but instead he spouted some messianic nonsense about spending his money on the future of mobile computing.

Given that "mood music", I'm confident in my opinion.

Time will tell.
    kbz1960 and blueberrymerry like this.
    05-19-13 05:02 AM
    JeepBB, I'm not trying to declare that it's impossible that the PlayBook update will be killed off, I'm just saying that if it is cancelled, there will be an announcement to that effect.

What leads you to believe that they would just hope we all forget? Again, since Heins has been CEO, I think BlackBerry has actually done a great job of engaging its community and being reasonably clear in its intentions.

05-19-13 05:48 AM
352 ... 910111213 ...