Doing up a blog post on this right now.... will let everybody vent their frustrations up on the homepage!

At the BBLive event the only official message was that there was no update at this time and when they have news to share they will. Also was clear that they're focusing their resources and investment on the future (which I take to mean it's not a priority for them to spend a bunch of time updating a 2+ year old device to run BB10). Though nobody said to me it's definitely not coming.
    Ah so tell people if they buy these heavily discounted PlayBook devices and they will get BB10 was simply to move units off their books and not not genuine?!?! And I think when they were stating this they would have known if it could run on the device. Sounds like a great way to do business. They just won't officially state they lied to keep people from dumping them till after they buy the phone (with the Bridge not worth a crap)! Congrats Thor, you've attained Balsille level of CEO scumdum!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 06:04 PM
    Hi Thunderbuck. It seems to me that we are misunderstanding each other. When the CEO is asked directly about the Playbook by Adam at the conference and he answers we are spending our R&D money "on the future", I hear him acknowledging and we are not spending on past products, especially those whose entire class of being (ie tablets) will be gone in 5 years. I don't hear anything about a release date slipping; if it was as simple as a date being pushed back, I would expect it to be said.
    At any rate, a date slippage past the end of this year timeframe that I thought was given by them is in essence not good because the tablet is 2 years old already and the co spreading BBM to outside communities this summer like IOS and Android and leaving its own users out by virtue of the idea that others are saying in the forum that the tablet needs an upgrade to run BBM properly, even makes the situation worse. And suggests these users (who may be the very ones to evangelize Blackberry to others) are expendable to Blackberry's R&D budget.
    I think the PlayBook was deliberately ignored at BB Live for the simple reason that it's a dead brand. TH and other BB executives have gone on the record as recently as a couple of weeks ago that an update to BB10 is still scheduled, and that hasn't changed. I do get the sense that something is brewing in this space in the form of either a new tablet or the "Aristo" phablet, but whatever is coming likely isn't going to have the PlayBook brand.

Again, the message regarding a BB10 upgrade for the PlayBook has been reasonably clear and consistent. All that's changed is the timing.
    Tim1131 likes this.
    05-17-13 06:06 PM
    I'd love to get a BB10 update for my PlayBook. I don't care that others think it's outdated or whatnot. I've had mine since they came out and I don't see anything wrong with it.

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-17-13 06:08 PM
    I agree but that quarter had BIS products....the future don't. Xbox 720 tie in to WP8.5 will bite every mobile OS...even Sony & Playstation (again why Playbook and not Powerbook marketing?) are lagging.
    Droids will continue to grow, WinPhone with new Xbox too and Apple with a new range of devices (iPhones+iPads) will continue to be the reference.
    05-17-13 06:25 PM
    Wow excellent revisionist history..... Actually BB10 was supposed to launch in early 2012, which destroyed BBOS7 sales because they announced that before BBOS7 devices were even on the market and many said they would wait for BB10. Then it got pushed back to Summer 2012, then to Q4 2012, then to Q1 2013, which they barely hit and hit it with low quantities. The Playbook suffered the same constant push backs for updates and missing features.

Being a first week adopter I can say that BlackBerry completely botched the PlayBook from start to finish. Over promised, and under delivered. They told the world that it was going to get BB10 to move units at the fire sale prices, because even at the discounted pricing, people weren't sure how committed BBRY was to the device and the promise of BB10 at least provided the illusion that they still backed the product. They said just enough to keep many from dumping units on ebay. Now I find out that if I had bought an Apple iPad, at the same price as I paid for my 64GB PlayBook, I would have had many more apps and functionality over the past two years, but now it looks like the iOS is going to get BBM before the PlayBook!?!?! WTF! That would/will be the ultimate insult to PlayBook owners if iOS and Android get BBM before the PlayBook. Also QNX to QNX device communications is supposed to be awesome, but my BBOS to PlayBook Bridge is far superior to what I have now with my Z10 to PlayBook.

I would be content with an update to the PlayBook that gives us the BB10 browser, BB10 app support, and a functional Bridge with the PlayBook UI. I don't need the Hub on the PlayBook, and I think the Hub is the memory hog in BB10. This could be all here now if the company had done the small incremental updates they promised, and not these major revisions. That said the company needs to be held accountable for what it said it would deliver. This is turning out to look like good Ole RIM way of doing business, and not the new improved BlackBerry they have been selling to people since Thor took over. Hopefully this new improved BlackBerry is not an illusion too with some old RIM cronies laughing around the campus about people that bought the PlayBook.
    Scary thought, getting a half baked update to BB10 for Playbook. Their previous updates failed to fix what they what they were meant to and added some new bugs to the morass.
    05-17-13 06:45 PM
    Doing up a blog post on this right now.... will let everybody vent their frustrations up on the homepage!

At the BBLive event the only official message was that there was no update at this time and when they have news to share they will. Also was clear that they're focusing their resources and investment on the future (which I take to mean it's not a priority for them to spend a bunch of time updating a 2+ year old device to run BB10). Though nobody said to me it's definitely not coming.
    thanks for entertaining our babel lol, like insaid in other posts we understamd bb10 for playbook will come when it comes.

we gotta keep the playbook sub forum going strong, and also if I might add the playbook has a great community here on Crackberry, some very colourful people to say the least. I personally enjoy the comerodery
    05-17-13 07:52 PM
    thanks for entertaining our babel lol, like insaid in other posts we understamd bb10 for playbook will come when it comes.

we gotta keep the playbook sub forum going strong, and also if I might add the playbook has a great community here on Crackberry, some very colourful people to say the least. I personally enjoy the comerodery
    Dude, you sound intelligent but cannot spell for SH*T. Are you typing this on your Playbook per chance?
    05-17-13 07:57 PM
    Dude, you sound intelligent but cannot spell for SH*T. Are you typing this on your Playbook per chance?
    YES, I can't wait for the bb10 keyboard I hate the slow air keyboard on the playbook.

I use my playbook 99.9% of the time for all my crackberry needs .....and desires lol
    kevinnugent, Orange UK and JeepBB like this.
    05-17-13 08:04 PM
    I think the PlayBook was deliberately ignored at BB Live for the simple reason that it's a dead brand. TH and other BB executives have gone on the record as recently as a couple of weeks ago that an update to BB10 is still scheduled, and that hasn't changed. I do get the sense that something is brewing in this space in the form of either a new tablet or the "Aristo" phablet, but whatever is coming likely isn't going to have the PlayBook brand.

Again, the message regarding a BB10 upgrade for the PlayBook has been reasonably clear and consistent. All that's changed is the timing.
    QUOTE=Kevin Michaluk;8501154] Also was clear that they're focusing their resources and investment on the future (which I take to mean it's not a priority for them to spend a bunch of time updating a 2+ year old device to run BB10). Though nobody said to me it's definitely not coming.[/QUOTE]

This one from Kevin makes more sense to me from Thors words. My thought is some business plan was revised between early March when we were told teams were working on playbook bb10 and then April when tablets would be dead in 5 years and now May we are spending our dollars "on the future".

The change seems to have happened in March, early April. And that is when the z10 was launched. My guess is they looked at the launch and decided they needed to evangelize to the other platforms--ios and android--and BBM would be their messenger. So they pulled the BB10 Playbook teams and put them on BBM for IOS and Android and also upcoming BB10 phone updates.
    05-17-13 08:09 PM
    Okay, I'm tired of going through all the posts related to BB10 for PlayBooks.

Its really sad to see how BlackBerry is handling its PB customers, I mean bought the device for 500 bucks with incomplete OS and without essentials apps like Email, Calendar, etc. We have been promised various times and at various stages, that BB10 will be released for all PlayBooks out there. Now, that they have launched couple of devices with BB10, why they are not addressing this huge issue for PB customers? Why they are ignoring our questions? I haven't read all the replies in the forums, but I want to know what Kevin has to say about this? He has access to the key people in the company and can't he get a more decent and satisfactory reply from them?

If nothing works out and they are still not willing to shed more light on BB10 for PB, then lets go public about it. Write open letters to Thorsten Heins on your blogs, and start a petition on change.org or some other site. Lets get it seriously done and settle this issue once and for all. We have got other stuff to focus on as well.

What do you say guys?
    I'm saying let's not get all fussy about it and go get ourself a nice QNX Bentley.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 08:15 PM
    Not to repeat myself, but again:

The Playbook was really a P.O.C. for BB10 and really the earliest form of BB10 Alpha
    05-17-13 08:23 PM
    QUOTE=Kevin Michaluk;8501154] Also was clear that they're focusing their resources and investment on the future (which I take to mean it's not a priority for them to spend a bunch of time updating a 2+ year old device to run BB10). Though nobody said to me it's definitely not coming.
    This one from Kevin makes more sense to me from Thors words. My thought is some business plan was revised between early March when we were told teams were working on playbook bb10 and then April when tablets would be dead in 5 years and now May we are spending our dollars "on the future".

The change seems to have happened in March, early April. And that is when the z10 was launched. My guess is they looked at the launch and decided they needed to evangelize to the other platforms--ios and android--and BBM would be their messenger. So they pulled the BB10 Playbook teams and put them on BBM for IOS and Android and also upcoming BB10 phone updates.[/QUOTE]

So maybe the strategy has shifted. We do know that a substantial amount of work has already been done, because we seen reasonably plausible screenshots. Even if it isn't the comprehensive update we've been led to expect, BB has not backed away in any sense from their commitment to release this update.

Save your complaints for the official cancellation.
    05-18-13 01:03 AM
    Again, BlackBerry should take Enola Gay and drop the bomb...

I'm sure there would be a lot of disappointments, whinnings, hurtful words, curses, etc... but BlackBerry should realize that those supported them on their PlayBook's project are human beings too... it's normal to get hurt when someone you supported all the way (in spite of the odds) and trusted betrayed you in the end... but the most important of being straight forward is BlackBerry "free" these customers from "uncertainties" - at least, to show some gratitude and respect to them for believing in them... once...
    mbpstar and Erievon like this.
    05-18-13 01:30 AM
    How a company which is already going through crisis can afford to screw another 2+ million PB users? Don't look at them from only business aspect, what benefit it will be to update BB10 on PlayBook and make those customers happy and loyal to BB? They could potentially be BB10 users and buy one of the new BB10 phones, if you give them what you have promised. They could also convince other people around them to by BB10 device by showing amazing stuff on their device to them. But if you are maintaining your promising breaking trend, then its totally fine. Their silence on this issue is a total insult to the users and taken as denial.

Once you successfully **** off all these customers, one thing for sure is that they will never return to BB ever again. Looking at your lies and fraud nature of dealing with your own loyal customers, how can we trust BB that in future when BB11 becomes available, they won't do the same with their current BB10 devices. Look what Microsoft did with their customers, released phones with WP 7.5, when WP 8.0 got released, they said its not compatible with old devices, so we won't be upgrading them to 8.0, and we'll give them a bonus 7.8. and then what happened we all know. Consumers screwed! WP share dropped, and still struggling.
    05-18-13 03:25 AM

Speak for yourself you!
    05-18-13 07:03 AM
    Speak for yourself you!
    oh SOM you act like your tough but here you are back on playbook forum day after day after day
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-18-13 07:06 AM
    oh SOM you act like your tough but here you are back on playbook forum day after day after day
    no need to shout at me!
    05-18-13 07:09 AM
    no need to shout at me!
    I don't have a shift or a caps lock button on my playbook how couod I yell ?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-18-13 07:17 AM
    I'm a very sensitive and caring person and I can feel it!
    05-18-13 07:24 AM
    That is actually one or two of the things that the keyboard can do. Shift and Shiftlock (for those who don't know - press and HOLD on the shift and it goes into lock mode). Also, pressing and holding some of the keys provides alternate characters including foreign accented characters.
    05-18-13 08:26 AM
    They are silent, because BB10 won't come to Playbook. Because Playbook is dead to them. And to be honest, Blackberry is dead to the world from every angle that is possible. They couldn't prove the world wrong with BB10 and the new phones. So yeah, of course they are silent, because there is nothing they can do. A minor android update is a bigger thing than the whole BB10 platform, a mediocre Android phone is better than the new Z10, if Larry Page coughs, the world is more shocked than the whole Blackberry keynote. And I didn't even speak about Apple. They **** on their own customers, they practically lie to them. And this new movement of theirs, bringing BBM to other platforms is the proof that they know that they are dying, the least they can do, is to at least hold on to those few unlucky bastards, who bought the Z10 until it is available everywhere. 2013 is the last year of this company, I guess they are trying to transfer their money elsewhere to save it, not pouring it to something that is already dead. Both the playbook and the whole blackberry. And to be honest, I kinda think they deserved it with their arrogant attitude.
    05-18-13 08:31 AM
    That is actually one or two of the things that the keyboard can do. Shift and Shiftlock (for those who don't know - press and HOLD on the shift and it goes into lock mode). Also, pressing and holding some of the keys provides alternate characters including foreign accented characters.
    yea, I know I actually use it all the time, the last comment was for SOM lol
    05-18-13 08:31 AM
    So maybe the strategy has shifted. We do know that a substantial amount of work has already been done, because we seen reasonably plausible screenshots. Even if it isn't the comprehensive update we've been led to expect, BB has not backed away in any sense from their commitment to release this update.

Again, Buck, we are misunderstanding each other. What I am trying to say is that many times CEO speak positively about their new direction rather than say negative news about their past. In other words, there may not be an official cancellation notice. Or the official cancellation notice may be so delayed in being said as to make it not necessary to be said as it is so obvious, the Playbook is so old at that point, the technology has moved on etc.

I am guessing you speak plainly and honestly and kudos to you for that. Unfortunately many times CEOs (and politicians) see little benefit in directly delivering bad news and if they can gain an advantage in speaking positively about the future and ignoring a direct pronouncement of the bad news, they will.
    I believe Kevin M is acknowledging this as a real possibility. And to my mind, this is what is happening as otherwise, Thor would have simply re-iterated his earlier Jan, Feb, March pronouncemnts that he has teams on the playbook and bb10 is coming out later this year.
    05-18-13 08:40 AM
    not been really keeping up to date with the whole BB10 for playbook saga but i would like to see this. It would be the perfect if my PB and my pending Q10 both have the same OS so i can seamlessly go from one to the other.

RIM have cancelled plans before. Remember the Themestudio 7 issue. Started to make it then pulled the plug.

Would not like this to happen to my PB
    05-18-13 09:20 AM
    Heh - there won't be an official cancellation. Why would Blackberry deliberately court bad PR by announcing anything?

Instead, January 1st 2014 will arrive, and BB10 on PB won't.

Just my opinion, Blackberry have 7 months to prove me wrong.
    05-18-13 09:31 AM
352 ... 89101112 ...