PlayBook OS is very different to legacy BlackBerry OS and requires specific user training with a learning curve in comparison, just as BB10 does. I should know I've given users the training.

Compared to BlackBerry OS the PlayBook OS does have new features and so does BES10 compared to BES5. In combination a load of PlayBooks running PlayBook OS on BES10 are a whole new way if working, which I think is exactly what they trialled before ordering BlackBerry 10 phones when they became available.

Posted via CB10
    This is a fact that can be found out--someone in the UK may wish to contact the guy in the article; he might be a good contact anyway as his company is large.
    05-15-13 08:26 PM
    So is the word, no BB10 for PBs? I haven't really been able to follow everything this week, unfortunately
    No, that is not the definitive bottom line. There is nothing more than those comments floating out there that "bb10 for the pb by the end of the year."
    Due to the rather vague, don't bother with me the pb questions at yesterday's question and answer from Thor, many have projected - NOT ON YOUR LIFE! We shall see......
    kbz1960 and SlcCorrado like this.
    05-15-13 09:33 PM
    No, that is not the definitive bottom line. There is nothing more than those comments floating out there that "bb10 for the pb by the end of the year."
    Due to the rather vague, don't bother with me the pb questions at yesterday's question and answer from Thor, many have projected - NOT ON YOUR LIFE! We shall see......
    He apparently tried to say in the positive what he would focus on as opposed to saying in the negative what he was not going to do (see quote and link to article below). He would spend money on his future vision of BB 10 (and not on the past vision--ie tablets).

"We’ve talked about PlayBook numerous times now, the pure hardware play is not really making a lot of sense, now I have to think of BlackBerry 10 as a platform not just as a product."
    So going forward we will focus on that future view of tablet (whatever that constitutes) I want to focus on the future, and that’s where I’m going to spend our R&D money money on."

BlackBerry PlayBook not getting BlackBerry 10 update? | T3

So we understand that he's trying to direct people towards his new view--carrying around one mobile device which people will pay dollars for--and plug into whatever screens exist in their environment (a car, a desktop pc). And not carrying around 2 mobile devices--a phone and a tablet. He was not able to get sales for the Playbook at the price that would make him a good profit so it sounds like he is just going to make phones and then sell people the software to link the phones to other devices and other types of services (security, BBM, possibly advertising etc).
    05-15-13 09:55 PM
    That's why they were called DEV devices. The final product was released with 2GB of RAM because there were issues with the initial 1GB devices and the OS. This is one reason why we most likely won't see BB10 on PlayBook.

BlackBerry didn't just decide to add an extra 1GB of RAM to the Z10 during testing without a reason.

Josh

Posted via CB10
    This is the RAM breakdown for Apple's tablets...
    See Wikipedia for reference for the Apple iPad's:

1st generation:
    256 MB DDR RAM

2nd generation:
    512 MB DDR2 RAM

3rd & 4th generation:
    1024 MB DDR2 RAM

Mini:
    512 MB DDR2 RAM

If the Ultra portable QNX based BB10 can only run decently on 2 GB of RAM then the software engineers should be fired and replaced with someone who can really code. Apple seems to have made it pretty decently on less than 2 GB of RAM.
    matrixbk and robitaille93 like this.
    05-15-13 10:12 PM
    This is the RAM breakdown for Apple's tablets...
    See Wikipedia for reference for the Apple iPad's:

1st generation:
    256 MB DDR RAM

2nd generation:
    512 MB DDR2 RAM

3rd & 4th generation:
    1024 MB DDR2 RAM

Mini:
    512 MB DDR2 RAM

If the Ultra portable QNX based BB10 can only run decently on 2 GB of RAM then the software engineers should be fired and replaced with someone who can really code. Apple seems to have made it pretty decently on less than 2 GB of RAM.
    That is a very valid point
    chaosdivine and robitaille93 like this.
    05-15-13 11:11 PM
    Thor said,"the pure hardware play is not really making a lot of sense, now I have to think of BlackBerry 10 as a platform not just as a product".

Who's asking for a "pure hardware play"? I'm not asking BB to magically transform or mutate my Playbook's specs into more memory and faster-processing. I do recall the launch pitch that the PB was loaded with latent power and flexibility. Aren't we whiners thinking about BB10 the platform? If the platform requires major hardware upgrades, how is that not making consumers to make a "pure hardware play" on their own dime?
    05-15-13 11:56 PM
    Yeah. I like thinking about BB10 as a platform too. I like thinking about it running on a PRODUCT I already purchased under the assumption that it would be a part of the future of the company.

Not being remotely close to being able to afford the new line of phones might actually be a good thing.
    uncle_numpty and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    05-16-13 02:54 AM
    It's not the QNX micro kernel that doesn't work well with 1GB of RAM, that is happy with far less RAM to play with. It's bloated BlackBerry 10 that sits on top of it that doesn't leave enough RAM spare for much else. I think that's because it was never part of the design spec to make it work well with 1GB, if it needed more then more could always be added to the new phones.

PlayBook was never a priority in the design spec, it was already a commercial failure by the time BlackBerry 10 was being made.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 03:00 AM
    My iPad mini with 512MB DDR2 RAM runs smother then PB, they can make an amazing code work on 512MB and BB not. It's seems with new Jonathan Ive's iOS 7 Apple will increase advantage among competitors. If BB continues this crap policy I will quit BB. The world is waiting the new redesign iPhone operation system.
    chaosdivine likes this.
    05-16-13 03:45 AM
    They had teams in Jan/Feb to work with OS 10 so it would fit with Playbook so they obviously thought it could be done (even crackberry kevin had some thoughts about how to do it so who knows what their engineers thought?). They just decided not to pour any more money into it.

If the rumors are true that they are putting out a phablet in the holiday season, my guess is they will steer everyone towards it. I wonder if they will sell the LTE playbook in the 3Q or if it is being discontinued, they sold 370K units last Q I heard.

I hope a version of os10 for the Playbook leaks out.
    05-16-13 06:03 AM
    Just curious what happened to your PlayBook?...

Posted via Z10
    Probably collecting dust and he's using his iPad or android tablet.
    05-16-13 06:27 AM
    Guess it's time to start digging into other platforms to see which one I want to ditch BBRY for. It's a shame because I really like where I think BB10 is going but I'm not sticking with a company that does nothing but lie and string their customers along by hold a carrot out on a stick.
    05-16-13 06:40 AM
    The title of this thread should be. Playbook BB10 Update - Why is Thor and co so silent ? because crackberry wouldn't know what blackberry devs are doing.

as much as I love BBRY if the playbook doesn't get updated I will not buy another Blackberry product as I would lost faith in the company
    kbz1960 and El Bori like this.
    05-16-13 06:46 AM
    Someone in another thread suggested to start a twitter campaign.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sooner-807639/
    Last edited by bluenote; 05-16-13 at 07:03 AM.
    05-16-13 06:48 AM
    I'd imagine that, if/when this new phablet gets released, we could just install it on the playbook.
    Somebody in another thread is already trying this with BB10 software from the Z10 I think, and has it powering on, but not loading fully.
    I'd imagine we'll be waiting even longer for the phablet software though!!
    05-16-13 07:01 AM
    The title of this thread should be. Playbook BB10 Update - Why is Thor and co so silent ? because crackberry wouldn't know what blackberry devs are doing.

as much as I love BBRY if the playbook doesn't get updated I will not buy another Blackberry product as I would lost faith in the company
    Amen brother.
    I share your feelings.
    Like I did with IBM when they discontinued OS/2 (a long time ago), and with HP when they killed webOS, if Blackberry do not give BB10 to Playbook users, I'm leaving Blackberry forever. And that will be tough for me because I love my Z10, but I will not give support to a company that will not support me.
    SEAWARRIOR and El Bori like this.
    05-16-13 07:03 AM
    I'd imagine that, if/when this new phablet gets released, we could just install it on the playbook.
    Somebody in another thread is already trying this with BB10 software from the Z10 I think, and has it powering on, but not loading fully.
    I'd imagine we'll be waiting even longer for the phablet software though!!
    I don't want a phablet. Not finding a lot but maybe not using the right key words.

February 3 2013

BlackBerry PlayBook � BlackBerry 10 Update Coming To Every Model

March7 2013

MarketWatch.com

BlackBerry working to upgrade PlayBook tablet to BB10

March 18 2013

BlackBerry To Offer BB10 Update For Current PlayBooks And New 10-inch BB10 PlayBook Soon

April 30 2013 last paragraph

BlackBerry CEO quashes rumours of new tablet launch - News - Trusted Reviews
    sad_old_man and AdityaK like this.
    05-16-13 07:16 AM
    Better polish my car again then?
    05-16-13 09:44 AM
    Better polish my car again then?
    Or your knob.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 09:49 AM
    Or your knob.
    Oooohhhh you are naughty, but I like you!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 10:08 AM
    Oooohhhh you are naughty, but I like you!
    Not that there is anything wrong with that
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 10:17 AM
    Someone in another thread suggested to start a twitter campaign.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...sooner-807639/
    I've been sending tweets to all official BBRY twitter accounts
    05-16-13 10:18 AM
    You really think a Twitter campaign will do anything? If they can't make it work they can't make it work. Too bad they said they would.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 10:24 AM
    You really think a Twitter campaign will do anything? If they can't make it work they can't make it work. Too bad they said they would.
    can't hurt also. myself and many others are looking for amswers, and I'm not one to give up easily
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 10:27 AM
    can't hurt also. myself and many others are looking for amswers, and I'm not one to give up easily
    The answer is always 47. Monty Python.
    05-16-13 10:31 AM
352 ... 45678 ...