Just made a post on the OP's post for new people reading the thread to find.

Get the feeling the OP never read this post by me: How I'd like to see BlackBerry 10 come to the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com

Beyond that, there's not much more to say on my end. I laid it out there pretty freak'n well. In terms of what BlackBerry is going to do with the PlayBook, hoping to find out this week at BBLive. If they don't volunteer up the information, we'll definitely ask for it and see if we get any official word. Definitely would like to see things move faster, but it's pretty clear updating the PlayBook isn't the priority right now for the company - they need to get the BB10 phone experience rocking on all fronts and selling. But for the sake of PlayBook owners, I do hope they get the BB10 apps on board one way or another.

RE: Instagram.. once I'm home from BBWorld I'm gonna buy someone their R/C car. It's gonna rock.

PS. I don't mind criticism - can't please everyone, and in case you didn't notice, we just don't stop around here... we keep working harder and doing more and more to make CB bigger and better. We've gotten so much praise lately for all the work we've been doing I'd feel like something was out of whack if we didn't see some complaints in here.

Gotta jet for now. BBLIve Keynote tomorrow and gotta get stuff prepped!

Dear Kevin,

I read your post the day you had posted. And now I feel that it was a well done, covert, hit job that you did for BBRY. It is very clear now that BB10 will not arrive for Playbook. Even Thor has said it himself.

Please read this !

All I wanted to know was why you did not come out open and be frank and told people the truth rather than hiding it under false reasoning in your posts. But anyway, I have found out the hard way that "No one bites the hand that feeds them !"

Thanks
    05-14-13 09:24 PM
    RIM is back! the name change but the old bad habits continues!
    matrixbk likes this.
    05-14-13 10:11 PM
    Same reason CrackBerry is being quiet on Instagram after stating it was definitely coming soon, because they have been caught up in the BBRY distortion machine and don't want to admit it. BBRY strung Playbook owners along so people wouldn't dump the Playbooks as it was the only QNX device available for almost two full years. They used it to keep some developer interest in the platform while the great void that was waiting for the BB10 phones played out. Now that they have BB10 phones out, they don't need the Playbook, and so they are just going to keep quiet and hope that it goes away on its own. Just like BBRy implied all these features and apps were coming when the Playbook launched to move units and they never materialized, they used BB10 upgrade to sell the devices at fire sale priced devices and clear inventory. Look at how poor the bridge is between the new phones and the Playbook. They put no effort in because they are abandoning it IMHO.
    claffeeba and CairnsRock like this.
    05-15-13 01:32 PM
    why do you think Kevin would know anything about bb10 on playbook?

you guys have to realized that playbook is the last thing on BB mind now. if they somehow have a miracle quarter with ridiculous amount of sales then maybe they will have the money and resource to put into a dead tablet. the tablet has been nothing but a loser for them. they didn't write it off for nothing.

i would not even be surprised if they just completely writeoff bb10 on playbook and not announce it. or their classic, "its coming soon" 5 years from now.
    05-15-13 03:57 PM
    I tend to agree here. I was a suckered and bought a playbook at launch and then licked my wounds after being laughed at again and again. I convinced 3 more people to buy playbooks when I heard the devices were to get bb10 and Skype and have access to the appropriate ecosystem as Kevin posted
    . Now I purchased a z10 as a loyal customer (now burned on 2 storms and the original msrp of the pb). Is it not worth it to at least follow through and get us something like bb10 lite?

I guess the fact that I purchased a z10 says it all.
    While an intangible, GOOD WILL is also part of parcel of running a profitable company. So while there is possibly no direct profit benefit (see below), good will could earn them additional profit.

There also might be profit - indirect - from selling bb10 apps (Blackberry World) to an estimated one million (higher/lower) pb owners who might want a few of those new apps.

I am sure that there are a few economists out there that can estimate the returns. Maybe they have and that's why we've seen nothing but I suspect that there is money to be made.
    05-15-13 05:58 PM
    The dev devices ran on 1gb of ram so you are wrong

Posted via CB10
    That's why they were called DEV devices. The final product was released with 2GB of RAM because there were issues with the initial 1GB devices and the OS. This is one reason why we most likely won't see BB10 on PlayBook.

BlackBerry didn't just decide to add an extra 1GB of RAM to the Z10 during testing without a reason.

Josh

Posted via CB10
    howarmat likes this.
    05-15-13 06:34 PM
    That's why they were called DEV devices. The final product was released with 2GB of RAM because there were issues with the initial 1GB devices and the OS. This is one reason why we most likely won't see BB10 on PlayBook.

BlackBerry didn't just decide to add an extra 1GB of RAM to the Z10 during testing without a reason.

Josh

Posted via CB10
    It was good enough to be given to a large customer on their Playbooks to be tested in advance of them ordering the new phones.
    05-15-13 06:43 PM
    It was good enough to be given to a large customer on their Playbooks to be tested in advance of them ordering the new phones.
    I don't follow, BlackBerry gave a large corporate customer PlayBooks with BB10 loaded on them? Or they gave said customer DEV Z10 units with 1GB of RAM for evaluation?

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:52 PM
    I don't follow, BlackBerry gave a large corporate customer PlayBooks with BB10 loaded on them? Or they gave said customer DEV Z10 units with 1GB of RAM for evaluation?

Posted via CB10
    the playbook with bb10 according to this article dated early march:
    Midlands health trust trials BlackBerry 10 OS on PlayBook with Z10 roll-out
    05-15-13 06:57 PM

Josh

Posted via CB10
    Please. Tell me what the issues were? I didn't have any problems with my Dev Alpha.
    So is the word, no BB10 for PBs? I haven't really been able to follow everything this week, unfortunately
    Since even the Q5 is reported to have 2 GB in RAM and the question is being raised about PB having only 1 GB, can someone post what the base RAM usage is on the Z10 /Q10 and also how much is required to support the Android emulator, browser and Bluetooth functions. Also what amount of the RAM is usually being used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-15-13 07:03 PM
    I believe the Midlands people are at the conference as they were nominated for some app award today according to the front page. If someone is at the conference and can find them, maybe we can hear about how BB10 ran on the Playbook. Although according to the Computer Weekly article I cited above, they seemed to like it so much that they not only ordered the phones but they also ordered playbooks.
    05-15-13 07:11 PM
    the playbook with bb10 according to this article dated early march:
    Midlands health trust trials BlackBerry 10 OS on PlayBook with Z10 roll-out
    I think either the writer of that article had mixed things up and thought the PlayBooks were running BB10 when it's actually the Z10s they've ordered since or the person being interviewed from the Trust has mixed the facts up. There's no way that number of PlayBooks could be in use in a workplace in the UK running BB10 without a leaked photo turning up on here.

It would have turned up in Web server logs too as a device other than a Z10, Q10, Q5 or Dev device running BB10.

I bet they were really trialling BES10 with PlayBooks and then bought Z10s. Bet the writer and the interviewee have just mixed up the terminology.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 07:15 PM
    I think either the writer of that article had mixed things up and thought the PlayBooks were running BB10 when it's actually the Z10s they've ordered since or the person being interviewed from the Trust has mixed the facts up. There's no way that number of PlayBooks could be in use in a workplace in the UK running BB10 without a leaked photo turning up on here.

It would have turned up in Web server logs too as a device other than a Z10, Q10, Q5 or Dev device running BB10.

"

I bet they were really trialling BES10 with PlayBooks and then bought Z10s. Bet the writer and the interviewee have just mixed up the terminology.

Posted via CB10
    Can you run Blackberry Balance using BES10 with Playbooks running 2.x? Because that is specifically a feature they said they liked.

(talking about the need to break in the staff with a trial on the Playbook) "With BlackBerry 10 and a number of the new features, it is new to them...”
    One of the technical lead’s favourite features is BlackBerry Balance, which gives the option of two different homescreens on one handset, keeping personal applications away from the corporate network on the same device. ""
    05-15-13 07:21 PM
    Since even the Q5 is reported to have 2 GB in RAM and the question is being raised about PB having only 1 GB, can someone post what the base RAM usage is on the Z10 /Q10 and also how much is required to support the Android emulator, browser and Bluetooth functions. Also what amount of the RAM is usually being used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    well on fresh boot and no active frames

1.3 GB free

with CB app, Wallpaper Changer, Battery Guru, Browser running as active frames

920 MB free
    05-15-13 07:29 PM
    Can you run Blackberry Balance using BES10 with Playbooks running 2.x? Because that is specifically a feature they said they liked.

(talking about the need to break in the staff with a trial on the Playbook) "With BlackBerry 10 and a number of the new features, it is new to them...”
    One of the technical lead’s favourite features is BlackBerry Balance, which gives the option of two different homescreens on one handset, keeping personal applications away from the corporate network on the same device. ""
    Yes. You can run Balance on Playbooks. I was testing this with the Beta version of Mobile Fusion way before the Z10 was released. I think it was March of last year when they released the beta. Balance works the same way.
    05-15-13 07:33 PM
    Please. Tell me what the issues were? I didn't have any problems with my Dev Alpha.
    Unfortunately I can't. You're just going to have to accept the word of a random guy on the forums.

Josh

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 07:33 PM
    Yes. You can run Balance on Playbooks. I was testing this with the Beta version of Mobile Fusion way before the Z10 was released. I think it was March of last year when they released the beta. Balance works the same way.
    Still the article says they were testing a number of the new features. What other of the new features for os10 can be run on Playbook 2.x?
    05-15-13 07:39 PM
    So no official word yet. Cool. Thanks guys
    05-15-13 07:45 PM

(talking about the need to break in the staff with a trial on the Playbook) "With BlackBerry 10 and a number of the new features, it is new to them...�
    One of the technical lead�s favourite features is BlackBerry Balance, which gives the option of two different homescreens on one handset, keeping personal applications away from the corporate network on the same device. ""
    Yes you get Balance on PlayBook when you activate it on BES10 and back when it was called Mobile Fusion too.

I think the article has mixed up the terminology between BES10 and BlackBerry 10 making it sound like the PlayBooks were running BlackBerry 10.

"The BSMHFT has been trialing the new system on 30 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets to give staff an idea of the new system"

Note the use of the word 'system' in the quote above. It seems out if place to refer to BlackBerry 10 as just a system, it's an Operating System. However describing BES10 as a system makes perfect sense. The 'new system' is BES10 with PlayBooks activated on it.

It's possible the Trust even thought that PlayBook OS was BlackBerry 10 if they'd never seen BB10 anywhere else before! They'll get a nice surprise when they switch on their Z10s.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-15-13 08:04 PM
    So no official word yet. Cool. Thanks guys
    From what I understand, the Playbook did not get a mention at all. Amazing really.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-15-13 08:08 PM
    Yes you get Balance on PlayBook when you activate it on BES10 and back when it was called Mobile Fusion too.

I think the article has mixed up the terminology between BES10 and BlackBerry 10 making it sound like the PlayBooks were running BlackBerry 10.

"The BSMHFT has been trialing the new system on 30 BlackBerry PlayBook tablets to give staff an idea of the new system"

Note the use of the word 'system' in the quote above. It seems out if place to refer to BlackBerry 10 as just a system, it's an Operating System. However describing BES10 as a system makes perfect sense. The 'new system' is BES10 with PlayBooks activated on it.

It's possible the Trust even thought that PlayBook OS was BlackBerry 10 if they'd never seen BB10 anywhere else before! They'll get a nice surprise when they switch on their Z10s.

Posted via CB10
    The whole point of trialing a system is to avoid a surprise. I am not convinced their tech person is that clueless. They seem to be saying they did the trial because the new OS has new features and so the staff had to break it in and test it out before the Trust would commit to a buy.
    05-15-13 08:10 PM
    Still the article says they were testing a number of the new features. What other of the new features for os10 can be run on Playbook 2.x?
    Hmm Android apps/side loads, Video Chat over WiFi, real multitasking, long boot up times...

But I think the new features were really BES10 features running on PlayBook OS. IT Policies, Profiles, remote management, access to internal websites and databases, Balance, stuff like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:10 PM
    The whole point of trialing a system is to avoid a surprise. I am not convinced their tech person is that clueless. They seem to be saying they did the trial because the new OS has new features and so the staff had to break it in and test it out before the Trust would commit to a buy.
    PlayBook OS is very different to legacy BlackBerry OS and requires specific user training with a learning curve in comparison, just as BB10 does. I should know I've given users the training.

Compared to BlackBerry OS the PlayBook OS does have new features and so does BES10 compared to BES5. In combination a load of PlayBooks running PlayBook OS on BES10 are a whole new way if working, which I think is exactly what they trialled before ordering BlackBerry 10 phones when they became available.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 08:18 PM
352 ... 34567 ...