When i charge my my playbook to 100% after like 2 minutes it drops to 98% .. i want to know if this is normal.. If not what can i do to fix it ?

- on os 1.0.6.2390
    - playbook turns hot on back (around the blackberry logo)
    - already tried to fully discharge the playbook and charge it full
    - charges fast ( from 0% to 100% in les then 5 hours )
    07-09-11 11:07 PM
    that is very dependent on what you are doing with it, for instance mine gets hot when doing video or games, battery drains that fast specially if you are using wifi and bluetooth at the same time..... it will also be a good idea to check if you accepted the video chat agreement if not there is your problem
    07-09-11 11:24 PM
    Were told never to fully discharge the batteries in the playbook as it can cause damage to the batteries.
    I have seen what you say is happening after a full charge. Seem's to me not to be a problem as the charge for me lasts all day. Not sure about any fix...
    07-09-11 11:28 PM
    A day of doing nothing on my playbook, and the charge falls 10% (that is with wifi and bluetooth left on). So I guess if you're doing things on your playbook, you can expect to see a drop in battery life, particularly if wifi and bluetooth are on. And the screen brightness is up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-11 12:39 AM
    When i charge my my playbook to 100% after like 2 minutes it drops to 98% .. i want to know if this is normal.. If not what can i do to fix it ?

- on os 1.0.6.2390
    - playbook turns hot on back (around the blackberry logo)
    - already tried to fully discharge the playbook and charge it full
    - charges fast ( from 0% to 100% in les then 5 hours )
    Well, I don't see the problem.
    That's the batterylife on the playbook like. On a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or iPad I don't see this (got both), but on the PB.

Its on par with this calculation:

PB batterlife is about 6 hours on optimal conditions = lets say you have 5 minutes for 2% = 50 x 5 = 250 minutes = 4,3 hours. That sounds good to me... you can only increase this if you lower the brightness of the screen, turn of wifi/bt and don't do cpu intensive stuff...
    Shadow_S2K likes this.
    07-10-11 01:02 AM
    All batteries life is affected by many things, like temperature for instance.
    In term of PB, it's also depend on connection (WiFi, Bluetooth) and display brightness.
    Also one more thing, the new OS seems better than before, but some may say it is still not the best usage scenario. Besides, PB also has dual core processor and we still don't know how the CPU management in doing low or high usage.
    07-10-11 01:22 AM
    that sudden drop aside, is ur battery life relatively normal 5-7 hrs, moderate use?

from my experience, in notebooks and even playbook, he first ten percent drop is the fastest, and then it starts to level off. ironically, that also the period where charging takes the longest

i would worry about what ur seeing so much, i just picked up my pb from the craddle, 99 percent after 1 min use while tethering
    07-10-11 01:29 AM
    The first time you take your battery down to zero, don't shut it down. Wait for it so shut off by itself. My playbook went to 0% then ran movies for another hour. After that I gave it a full charge and now when it goes to zero, it is actually at zero power and shuts off. That extra hour is now inside the meter from 100 to 0% and makes a big difference in the battery life perception.

My battery lasts all day on a single charge and for how I use it blue tooth off, I get 8 to 10 hours of continuous use. Draining the battery does not damage the battery. It is not a car battery. I got this fix from calling RIM support. They said with the new OS update the battery has to relearn the parameters.
    Last edited by Schlymer; 07-10-11 at 01:32 AM.
    07-10-11 01:29 AM
    The PlayBook comes with a 'lithium' accu/battery, it does not matter when u charge it, and it does not matter if u drain the accu/battery, it is made for this kind of usage!
    (Other posts on the cb-forum has more info on the accu/battery btw)
    My PlayBook lasts for 2 - 3 days with normal usage ...
    07-10-11 03:41 AM
    Whats the confusion with PB battery charge? I've read that you can and can not drain the batt fully. What is it? Whats RIM say?
    07-10-11 11:06 AM
    Hi everyone ,,

my playbook dsntwork !! i leave it for 3 hours on the charge but it still dsnt work =/

pleeeease i need a help ><
    08-06-11 03:26 PM
    Hi everyone ,,

my playbook dsntwork !! i leave it for 3 hours on the charge but it still dsnt work =/

pleeeease i need a help ><
    What charger are you using? Wall or USB?
    08-06-11 03:38 PM
    Whats the confusion with PB battery charge? I've read that you can and can not drain the batt fully. What is it? Whats RIM say?
    @Dapper37, please ignore those who say that fully discharging your battery will destroy it in some fashion, or damage it severely. They're spreading misinformation.

It's true that Lithium-Ion batteries would, in theory, be damaged by discharging them below a particular voltage (let's call it around 3V, as the literature is inconsistent about it). As a result of that, basically all such batteries have integral protection in the form of circuitry that disengages the battery when the voltage gets near that level.

On top of that, devices like the PlayBook generally incorporate higher-level functionality which also monitors the voltage and power themselves off when it reaches some lower threshold. On the PlayBook, this value is about 3.4V.

RIM hasn't made an official statement about it but has, in at least one Knowledge Base article on their site, directed people to do a full discharge/recharge cycle once or a few times to help the software recalibrate the battery level indicator. They certainly wouldn't say that if it was going to result in battery destruction.

That said, some people have advised "forcing" things by not only using the PlayBook until it shuts itself off, but then trying to get it turned back on again and continuing to use it, repeatedly, until the battery has been drained even more fully. That's highly inadvisable as, even though it's unlikely they can actually defeat the protection mechanisms without extensive effort, they are risking damage to the batteries.

Some people also give advice about batteries based on experience they've gained with non-Lithium technologies, such as NiCad batteries. They are quite different in many ways. As an example, Lithium-Ion batteries basically don't suffer from the old "memory" problems of some other technologies, so there is no real need to do full charge/discharge cycles other than, as noted above, to possibly assist the software in recalculating the capacity properly so it can show useful percentage-remaining estimates.

Note also (to get on topic with the original post) that this percentage thing is just that, an estimate, calculated in software, and prone to both inaccuracies in the physical measurements on which it's based (e.g. voltage, current) and to bugs in the software involved. That a fully charged PlayBook suddenly shows 98% even a few minutes after being removed from the charger is largely ignorable, especially given the many indications we've seen that the software involved is still a work in progress.

I wrote Battery Guru to provide people with a way to investigate these issues more methodically. You can actually see the battery voltage, as well as power consumption in watts and other information, including a graph over time of the level and power. This lets you actually verify that your battery is going from around 3.4V (minimum charge) to 4.2V (full charge), rather than being forced to rely on the % capacity estimate.

You can also directly observe power consumption for various activities, which would make the whole "I think 1.0.7 really boosted/killed battery life!" argument moot, if more people used it. For what it's worth, other than the possible (small) GPS-left-running issue that I've noticed can happen, I haven't see any sign of a significant change in power use or overall battery life since 1.0.7, based on a month of running Battery Guru before then, and however long it's been since 1.0.7 came out.

For background reading, I suggest starting with Wikipedia's Lithium-ion battery article, and then moving on to Battery University's excellent set of pages covering Li-polymer batteries and more (since the PB's battery is actually a pair of LiPo batteries).
    08-06-11 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD