Hi,

Since getting my PB going about a week ago the battery never gets above 85% charge.

I've ran it down to about 10-15% a few times as I read that the battery needs to calibrate or something.

Should I be concerned? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Even after an overnight charge the battery level doesn't get into the 90's ... I've never seen even just 90% lol lol

Cheers
    03-06-13 06:04 PM
    When mine was new it wouldn't pass 95%. It worked itself out over time.
    Blackberry says to drain until the PB turns off and charge fully a couple times. Now some people have had trouble charging again after draining until auto shut off. I never had. Just be ready to charge after it shuts down. You may notice that it runs for a while after hitting 0%. That would be evidence that the battery meter is just not showing the correct %.
    When you charge it to what you consider "full", do you see a plug symbol over the battery or a lightning bolt?

You could download the battery guru app. The app will show voltage in addition to other information. The voltage is what the PB uses to determine when to stop charging.
    03-06-13 06:11 PM
    Another thing that causes this, is if the PB overheats during recharge.
    03-06-13 07:18 PM
    What voltage does it get to?
    03-06-13 08:03 PM
    Did you buy it new? What's the mfg date on box? Are you using original pb charger it came with? Just thinking of other possibilities.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 08:26 PM
    From memory.... It shuts off at 3.4 and stops charging at 4.2. I'll try to remember to look when its done charging.
    03-06-13 08:31 PM
    From memory.... It shuts off at 3.4 and stops charging at 4.2. I'll try to remember to look when its done charging.
    That's close to the range. My question was what voltage the OP was observing at 85% charge. Agree that people should have Battery Guru or something to check battery conditions. When I checked BB World from my Playbook. a couple of days ago the Battery Guru description appeared to be primarily phone oriented. Is this a preview of the BB10 app and what do you get if you try and buy it now for the PB?
    03-07-13 01:31 AM
    Just tried to locate Battery Guru in the BB World on the playbook. No show. Aso tried the web site engenuity.ca/apps and didn't get it there either. We need to hear from Peter as to what is going on. Suspect what I saw was the BB10 version which slipped in by error.We can't recommend it for playbook if it isn't there. If you have to go Android might try Battery Watch. Also note that he has put a free app in BB World which is titled This Is Not A Blog which gives access to some of his writings on programming for the PB. It will all work out in time.
    03-07-13 02:37 AM
    When you charge it to what you consider "full", do you see a plug symbol over the battery or a lightning bolt? You could download the battery guru app. The app will show voltage in addition to other information. The voltage is what the PB uses to determine when to stop charging.
    Thanks for the reply. Battery Guru shows that charging stops at 82% with the voltage being about 4v - 4.05v at that time. Charge drops to zero but the icon in the top right corner continues to show the lightening bolt. Battery Health 88%.
    03-07-13 03:32 AM
    4v to 4.05v
    03-07-13 03:33 AM
    Did you buy it new? What's the mfg date on box? Are you using original pb charger it came with? Just thinking of other possibilities. Posted via CB10
    Thanks for your repy.

Yes, as far as I could tell it was new because I had to go through the software install at the beginning. I'm using a Rapid Charger and the date on the box is 240912.
    03-07-13 03:39 AM
    Thanks for your repy.

Yes, as far as I could tell it was new because I had to go through the software install at the beginning. I'm using a Rapid Charger and the date on the box is 240912.
    Oh good. You are fully covered by warranty. Warranty starts from the date of activation. You might want to give BB support a call and may be eligible for a warranty exchange. It sounds like something is not right especially since the charging stops at 4V or so. It could be a problem with the software control that only BB can fix.
    Chaddface likes this.
    03-07-13 07:29 AM
    Interesting searching for both "battery" and separately "guru" does NOT show Battery Guru and searching for the full name does not show it either.

PETER?
    03-07-13 09:03 AM
    Charge the battery when it gets down to 10%, don't wait till it shuts off itself. Draining the battery too low can damage the battery too. Give it 4 or 5 full charges like this. You should see an improvement. If not then the battery is most likely faulty.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    03-07-13 09:12 AM
    Charge the battery when it gets down to 10%
    Yeah, that's my current thinking too! Haven't taken it down below 10% yet but that's about to change

Thanks.
    03-07-13 10:01 AM
    It sounds like something is not right especially since the charging stops at 4V or so. It could be a problem with the software control that only BB can fix.
    Ack! I do hope it isn't
    03-07-13 10:07 AM
    Charge the battery when it gets down to 10%, don't wait till it shuts off itself. Draining the battery too low can damage the battery too. Give it 4 or 5 full charges like this. You should see an improvement. If not then the battery is most likely faulty.

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    The 3.53V at which the tablet shuts down is above the voltage at which the battery can be damaged.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

As Enyigma said, I would call BB and see what they have to say. It doesnt sound right to me. In my experince support is very helpful and you do have a one year warranty.
    03-07-13 11:39 AM
    BB will probably make you fully discharge it till it turns off then recharge and repeat one more time. Battery guru can force it to remain on. Some games can quickly deplete the battery speeding the full discharge.
    03-07-13 12:18 PM
    The decision point for tablet shut down may not be accurately represented by the value shown by Battery Guru since that is only given every two minutes. Short term high use rate as might happen during gaming might give temporary voltage drops which cause the tablet to shut down. After all this is a chemical system with internal resistances so that the measured terminal voltage is affected by current flow. Most users do not want to be bothered by details of the complexities involved and should not be bothered by minor variations in the numbers reported. It is certainly puzzling that the charging would shut down at 4.0-4.05 Volts. I would want to pursue a resolution to the problem if it didn't work out after a few charging cycles.
    03-07-13 01:59 PM
    As Enyigma said, I would call BB and see what they have to say. It doesnt sound right to me. In my experince support is very helpful and you do have a one year warranty.
    It became very apparent later that my PB does have some kind of a problem; be it battery, software and/or hardware. I ran the battery down to about 8% at which point I tried to recharge it again but couldn't. The lightning bolt came on, Battery Guru displayed "Cradle" but the Charge remained at zero and in fact the battery level continued to fall down to 6%.

I rang BB Customer Care and was on the phone for about an hour ... very helpful indeed!

The long and the short of it is that he wanted to isolate the issue as much as possible and try to identify whether it's a software, battery or hardware issue.

So my PB has been "reset" with a Repair / Fix / Update (something like that) attached to my laptop BB Desktop s/w and now it's currently (lol there's a joke there lol) doing a long charge up.

If I have the same issues again then it's back to BB for a replacement or repair.
    03-07-13 02:19 PM
    I would suggest you use the charger that came with the PlayBook when trouble shooting. The rapid charger has been known to show a lightning bolt but not charge. It sounds like that may have happened to you from your description.

If you have to use the rapid charger for some reason be sure there is some value after charge. Check on it after 10 minutes or so to be its really charging.

If you try to use your PC to charge it could take up to 12 hours.
    03-07-13 02:35 PM
    Battery Guru is now back in BB World for Playbook.

When using rapid travel charger with the three pin magnetic coupling and you get the lightning indicator with Battery Guru showing attachment but there is no indication of charge current flow then try reversing the attachment by switching the direction of the wire i.e. from right to left or vice versa. If this doesn't work inspect the charger coupling to be sure all pins are same height and clean if necessary. There are several threads on this problem and how to deal with it.
    03-07-13 09:19 PM