Hi, I wonder can anyone help me please!I've been trying to recover my playbook for a month. I've tried all the re- sets etc and even the 'jumpstart' but it still won't charge up. I also tried to update which seems to finish but can't do the final bit where it tries to re-boot.

To give detail : It will power on and go into the flasing green cycle. After 20 mins the playbook name will come up and then it makes a chime twice and a blue screen with ' Battery Critically Low' comes up but never moves beyond 0%. If I remove the charger it dies immediately and also when measure the + and - points from the jumpstart procedure (by member knottyrope) with a multimeter it shows 1.28 v there abouts, although funnily enough it's has a minus sign on the mutimeter?

Can you help or suggest anything please before I toss it in the bin??? I'm at my wits end here.

HEEEELLLLPPP!!
    10-03-12 04:36 AM
    Remain calm. And search these forums for "stack charge"
    10-03-12 04:57 AM
    Remain calm. And search these forums for "stack charge"
    I may have mis-read OP's post, but I reckon he might have tried those.

OP: If you have no luck, contact RIM Customer Services and explain the problem. They'll take you through a set of activities that might get your PB back from the dead. If it doesn't, be firm with them and ask for an RMA return.

Your PB may be out of warranty but RIM seem to be applying the 12-month warranty very flexibly according to my own, and other posters, experience. I got a (new) replacement PB sent back by return.

BTW I wouldn't accept a repair if that's offered - street PB prices are nearly the same for a new PB with warranty.
    10-03-12 05:20 AM
    I tried stack charging and hard reset etc . Does it cost money to contact RIM? I called a number and gave options for Canada and USA only. Any numbers for Ireland/ UK???
    10-03-12 06:35 AM
    You're using the charger that came with the PB correct? I have seen a few people claim it that it takes a few hours to move off of 0 percent when the battery is very low.
    10-03-12 06:49 AM
    I tried stack charging and hard reset etc . Does it cost money to contact RIM? I called a number and gave options for Canada and USA only. Any numbers for Ireland/ UK???
    Phone here: 0800 096 2805

They'll try to resolve the problem by talking you through re-loading and de-bricking the PB. Have the DM software on your PC as it'll be needed. If the battery is indeed dead, ultimately it'll end up as an RMA.

The RMA is free. And the whole process actually shows RIM at their finest!

You'll get a FedEx package containing an empty box. Put the PB in the box, stick some labels on, and call FedEx for collection. It'll go to Germany, and you'll be contacted when RIM get it. They'll assess it, and decide if it is worth repair time.

There's a flat fee of 77 - 95 depending on PB size that'll be charged for repair. If they decide it's too much trouble to repair, they'll replace it with a new PB. In my case, the replacement was free, and you may be lucky too!

If they offer to repair it, you have a choice. Either accept and pay the repair fee, or refuse and RIM'll ship the (broken) PB back to you. Again, RIM pay all shipping fees.

As I said, RIM really shines at RMA's and deserve applause.

Good Luck!
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-03-12 07:30 AM
    Hi,
    Thank you for that info.
    10-03-12 07:37 AM
    When calling you should have a way of sending and receiving emails. As part of the registration and RMA process there are some terms you have to agree to. That was in the US and I'm assuming the process is similar in the UK.
    10-03-12 07:45 AM
    When calling you should have a way of sending and receiving emails. As part of the registration and RMA process there are some terms you have to agree to. That was in the US and I'm assuming the process is similar in the UK.
    Yes, it is.

OP: Have DM pre-loaded on the PC and have the phone in easy reach of the PC and make some time in your day. You'll be on the phone for a long time... they literally talk you through the de-brick process which can take up to an hour.

If the battery is dead, it'll feel rather irritating to go through the process, because it will ultimately prove futile... but the reward is the RMA you'll be offered when you finally say "No, that didn't work... it still doesn't work without being attached to the charger", so stick with it.
    10-03-12 08:01 AM
    Hey there, I know how to power it up.

On the bottom of your playbook, there are three types of ports. The left is MicroHDMI, the middle is USB charging port and the right is an magnetic charging port. Well, if you have both types of battery charger, one USB, one Magnetic. You can plug both in at the same time until you see a red light on your playbook, then your good as good. I can guarantee it will work.

Problems you might run into after fully charged are:

Camera error message (camera won't work)
    If battery is drained again, will have to use the same charging method
    May notice battery runs out faster and hotter.

All in all, If your still under warranty. Get it fixed by RIM. Register your serial number at the BlackBerry website and Back up any Data.

Good Luck.
    10-03-12 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD