I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that this is not a true tablet!! It is more of a glorified e-reader, and is being marketed against the likes of nook color etc.
    If the Fire is not a true tablet then what is Playbook? You can do more with the Fire than you can with the Playbook.
    09-28-11 05:57 PM
    It's hard to argue against a whole ecosystem that has already been developed. Biggest problem with the Fire right now is that it's basically useless outside of the U.S., even if I bought it from there. There is no streaming video access for Amazon in Canada (or any other place around the world). Amazon cloud music player isn't available either.

If RIM has a video store, a kindle app that works, and 7Digital music store, I'm ok with the PB. While people like the one stop approach, I would rather have choices as to where I'm buying my music, books, or videos. When you are tied in to one system, you are stuck with all of its problems, like iTunes.
    That's not entirely true either.. I have all Amazon services enabled and I live in Canada.. it just depends on the user on how much effort they want to put into making it work. The avg user isn't going to go through the methods I went through to enable them but fact is -- you can if you are tech savvy enough to do so.

1 US address. (can even use an Apple store addy if ya want)
    1 US prepaid credit card.

And 3 minutes to sign up, is all it takes.

09-28-11 05:57 PM
    Hopefully the KF will light a fire under RIM's "you know WHAT!" And get them moving on getting 2.0 out the door!
    OniMessiah likes this.
    09-28-11 06:04 PM
    I think that kindle fire looks great but if I wanted one I would have bought an ipad. It will serve as a cheap alternative. I guess we now know why the kindle app didnt land on the pb. The reason I chose playbook was because of the bridge app.
    cielodome likes this.
    09-28-11 06:11 PM
    No one is to blame here but RIM. As you can see the UI (swiping gestures) are exactly what Kindle went with for their player. RIM had the opportunity to plan this move to the tablet space strategically (over a year ago). They dropped the ball on having developer tools in place and partnering with companies like Amazon......
    Their are 2 Playbooks in my household and we love them but i am quite disappointed in the approach that RIM has taken to bring a new gadget to market. I have had a Playbook since the release date and I am hoping that V 2.0 blows everyone away.............The Playbook has the best hardware and it is a shame that it has not been leveraged by software.
    09-28-11 06:15 PM
    Hopefully the KF will light a fire under RIM's "you know WHAT!" And get them moving on getting 2.0 out the door!
    Don't see how it could. If they were able to release it earlier with existing resources they would have and rushing it out unfinished won't help anything at all.

Also the whole bridging thing drags the PB development down probably 10 fold compared to any other tablet out there, because they don't have to deal with that + the corresponding apps on the phone at the same time.
    09-28-11 06:20 PM
    If the Fire is not a true tablet then what is Playbook? You can do more with the Fire than you can with the Playbook.
    You can bridge your BB to the mire? It has 3g supported apps? You can play "Dead Space" on it? It performs true multitasking, records HD video and bezel scolls? Sounds like quite the device.
    09-28-11 06:23 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard the kf doesnt have native email either.
    09-28-11 06:23 PM
    I think a lot of people are overlooking the fact that this is not a true tablet!! It is more of a glorified e-reader, and is being marketed against the likes of nook color etc.
    It is running Android, and from what it looks like it is running HoneyComb. Please tell me how this is not a true tablet.
    09-28-11 06:24 PM
    Yes! Hope and Pray!

This Kindle is not for me but I think it might be for many people. The longer RIM takes to get 2.0 out the door, the more sales are lost.
    nova_8 and dopestar like this.
    09-28-11 06:24 PM
    Yes! Hope and Pray!

This Kindle is not for me but I think it might be for many people. The longer RIM takes to get 2.0 out the door, the more sales are lost.
    Personally, I do not think 2.0 is the issue. Only for the people on this forum (and similar forums elsewhere) which means nothing at all in the grand scheme.

Most people DO NOT KNOW that Blackberry makes a tablet. OS2.0 doesn't mean anything to people who don't know this...
    FF22, kingest_kong and dopestar like this.
    09-28-11 06:28 PM
    You can bridge your BB to the mire? It has 3g supported apps? You can play "Dead Space" on it? It performs true multitasking, records HD video and bezel scolls? Sounds like quite the device.
    It's not for me but you can't deny that the Fire is a true tablet that will probably haveabigger softwre library when released than Playbook does. The market has demonstrated how much in demand features like bridge are.
    09-28-11 06:29 PM
    Yes! Hope and Pray!

And there is the poser factor. Many people might like to be seen with a fake high end PB.
    09-28-11 06:30 PM
    And there is the poser factor. Many people might like to be seen with a fake high end PB.
    Do you really believe this? Seriously?
    09-28-11 06:32 PM
    It is running Android, and from what it looks like it is running HoneyComb. Please tell me how this is not a true tablet.
    It's not running HoneyComb but a branched version of Android. A toaster could run Android which would not make it a tablet. The definition of what is / isn't a tablet is up for debate. In the end it all comes down to software. The PB has more business oriented software whereas the KF seems to have more consumer apps. Again, up for debate what makes a true tablet.

-Mux
    09-28-11 06:41 PM
    It's not for me but you can't deny that the Fire is a true tablet that will probably haveabigger softwre library when released than Playbook does. The market has demonstrated how much in demand features like bridge are.
    The "market" really doesn't know what the bridge actually is. I guess that's why they call it marketing.

I just took a call call from a guy on a crapple phone. He was breaking up like crazy. I asked him what phone he had. He said, "Ya. I know. This iphone is a piece of crap."
    09-28-11 06:42 PM
    Do you really believe this? Seriously?
    Of course I do. The mire sounds like junk.
    09-28-11 06:44 PM
    The "market" really doesn't know what the bridge actually is. I guess that's why they call it marketing.

I just took a call call from a guy on a crapple phone. He was breaking up like crazy. I asked him what phone he had. He said, "Ya. I know. This iphone is a piece of crap."
    I don't like Apple products either. I've used nothing but Blackberry phones for seven years. That is why I was expecting so much from Playbook.

There is still some time for RIM to salvage this but time is really running out. If you stepped out of your cheerleader mode for a second I know that you would agree that things are not going well. If Crackberry Kevin and Bla1ze are complaining, you know RIM better get off its **** and stop the bleeding!
    09-28-11 06:47 PM
    There are barely any people to be seen with the PlayBook period. Pose off of what? A device that is basically unheard off besides the lists of negative reviews and articles bashing RIM?

I can see it now. "Hey guys, let all go buy the Kindle Fire so we can have a lookalike to the most negatively reviewed tablet in 2011". Yea that makes a bunch of sense.

Not trying to bash the PB (I do believe it is a great device for what it can currently do, and all the upgrades will make it even better), but to say people want to buy something that looks like the PB is just stupid. For $50 they can get the real thing, yet that is barely happening.
    09-28-11 06:54 PM
    It's not running HoneyComb but a branched version of Android. A toaster could run Android which would not make it a tablet. The definition of what is / isn't a tablet is up for debate. In the end it all comes down to software. The PB has more business oriented software whereas the KF seems to have more consumer apps. Again, up for debate what makes a true tablet.

-Mux
    And the Amazon app store is filled with Android apps. Their are hundreds if not thousands of business apps available on Android.

I definitely agree on the software though. The Kindle Fire is dedicated towards users who want a mostly media experience.
    cielodome likes this.
    09-28-11 06:58 PM
    The difference is:

Fire: Under hyped over delivered. (at launch)

Playbook: Over hyped, under delivered. (at launch)

The Fire is a reader with extras. $199.00
    The Playbook is a tablet PC without extras. $499.00

This is why reviewers will probably go easy on it, but give them time, someone will
    find something wrong with the Fire. Plus is has email, something the non-BB phone consumer
    still can not get on the PB (soon to come)

I know the differences between the two and so will the reviewers and public but the
    price point plus email, moves, etc. is what is going to stick in the prospective buyers mind.

Now the hard part for Amazon. Will it sell.

Tim
    09-28-11 06:58 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I heard the kf doesnt have native email either.
    Actually it does feature native e-mail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    slbailey1 likes this.
    09-28-11 07:02 PM
    Nobody knows what this device will actually bring to the table when it is finally released in 2 months. We haven't heard the speakers. We haven't used the browser. No camera is a deal breaker for me, I use the video recorder and camera regularly. The services are available for any computer or tablet available right now, such as amazon prime (which I use on my playbook) as well as the music library and the cloud service. It is basically a nook color with a better processor...better than the ipad 2 processor as well I believe.
    09-28-11 07:06 PM
    I*just took a call call from a guy on a crapple phone. *He was breaking up like crazy. *I asked him what phone he had. *He said, "Ya. *I know. *This iphone is a piece of crap."
    A "call call"?*

Such bitterness; it sounds like you took today's news especially hard.*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kevinnugent and preciseman like this.
    09-28-11 07:08 PM
    The fact that this is being debated here says it all. The two camps are "we have a problem!" and "this couldn't possibly be a problem because we're so superior". I think I will have some popcorn and watch the sh!t show.
    09-28-11 07:12 PM
176 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD