So yesterday, I had some spare time during the afternoon and decided to go to the local Barnes & Nobles to browse around and get some coffee. After I had picked out a few books to flip through, I sat down in the cafe area and took out my Playbook and did a little browsing and whatnot.

The cafe area happens to be right next to the display of the Nook tablets and e-readers, so I saw a few people checking them out. After a while, I noticed a few guys checking me out, and they eventually came over to my table.

Well, turns out, they weren't checking me out, they were checking out my Playbook (which was looking all sexy, propped up on the stand on the case). They asked me what kind of tablet I had and I coyly told them it was a Blackberry Playbook, while quickly thinking to myself what retorts/comebacks I could say in case they started the iPad debate (one of the guys had what looked like a tablet sleeve with the Apple logo on it).

They asked me how I liked it and I just told them I hadn't had it for that long but I did a bit of research and that this one did everything I needed and did it well because it was fast. Obviously, I'm not going to become a sales person anytime soon, I kind of felt stupid because I didn't know what to say. They wanted a recommendation on a tablet since I told them I read a lot of reviews on different tablets, and I just shrugged with a dumb smile and said "Well, I'm no expert but the Playbook is about the same price or lower than other similar tablets, but it has better hardware and once OS 2 comes out, it should be able to do EVERYTHING. Um... yea... just go to Crackberry or something. You should definitely get one, it's way better than the Nook tablet."

At that point, I just didn't know what else to say anymore and then thought maybe they were just using that as an excuse to talk to me. We shared a chuckle and they walked off. Then I saw one of the store clerks glaring at me, as I apparently said that last line pretty loud.

Anyway, that was my first public experience with the Playbook. I don't think I was all that convincing, but really.. what was I suppose to do? Give them a full tutorial/showcase and answer all their questions?
    Blkacesvf41, sagec, drum and 6 others like this.
    02-16-12 03:49 PM
    ... but really.. what was I suppose to do? Give them a full tutorial/showcase and answer all their questions?
    Yes. Yes you were LOL!! But I think you did just fine
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-16-12 03:53 PM
    Its OK, just keep reading CRACKBERRY, and you will be an expert in know time
    02-16-12 03:55 PM
    Sweet action. I like you style.
    02-16-12 03:56 PM
    After a while, I noticed a few guys checking me out, and they eventually came over to my table.
    Be honest... this story really isn't about the Playbook at all, is it.
    modine and Spencerdl like this.
    02-16-12 03:59 PM
    Let's video chat so I can confirm wether they were checking you out or that sexy PB!
    deemgee likes this.
    02-16-12 04:10 PM
    Relevant...?
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW8j3x3GzxY[/YT]
    Sesami and modine like this.
    02-16-12 04:14 PM
    People are just generally clueless about the existence and/or abilities of the PlayBook.

Something similar happened to me too. Today, we had a 3-hr lecture compressed into 2-hr lecture, given by an auctioneer moonlighting as a professor. :P Anyway, two girls, both iPhone users, asked me afterwards if I recorded it on my iPhone. I said no, I use the PlayBook, BlackBerry. "But you sit so far back." "Yeah, but the PlayBook has superior mics compared to the iPhone." One of the girls agreed without hesitation, "Hmm, I have to sit in the first few rows to record it."

Before you say, comparing a Tablet to a Phone isn't fair... the point is, people are usually surprised when they can see what a BlackBerry can do.
    02-16-12 04:24 PM
    Doesn't really matter if you "sold" it or not.
    What matter is you showed them another option, gave them food for thought.

Good job.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-16-12 04:45 PM
    There is another post about How do you show off your playbook, check that one out.
    02-16-12 05:16 PM
    So yesterday, I had some spare time ......I noticed a few guys checking me out, and they eventually came over to my table. Well, turns out, they weren't checking me out, they were checking out my Playbook
    It sounds like you are a great person, saying you have free time. Not to be personal, but, are you sure they were only checking out the PB?
    Ah, to be young and single again. Good luck.
    02-16-12 06:27 PM
    Well - Good job showcasing the PB. But the Nook can do one thing well that the PB can't right now. Thats reading e-Books purchased from Barns & Noble. PB doesn't have a Nook reader yet. Perhaps one will be available via Android player when OS2 drops. I have the original Nook e-ink reader that I like a great deal for reading most of the time, especially when traveling, and in bright sunlight. Unfortunately the reader software could use some work. But I also like my Playbook quite a lot. Would leave my nook at home if I could only read my B&N books on it. I have E-mailed them several times over this issue.

I understand there are ways to convert DRM protected epub books so I could read them in one of the PB e-book readers but thats a lot of extra steps, when I can buy a book via wifi or 3G and read it directly on the Nook device. So for the time being, I carry my Nook, PB and unfortunately still need my Laptop yet.
    02-16-12 07:17 PM
    Sounds like you did a pretty good job anyway! Most people don't want to hear someone convince them to buy something, they want to feel like they've discovered it on their own

I think that saying you really thought about your decision is probably the best thing you could have done. It means that your opinion is at least more informed and unbiased than the impulse buyer who needs to justify his purchase after the fact, or the guy about to try to get himself some nooky commission.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    02-16-12 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD