Here lately in this forum, selective memories have really been kicking in to support one side or the other lately debating the progress of the playbook. Seems to have become as bad as politics.

So here is one article regarding what he said...
    Berryreporter

Okay the point here isnt argue if it is irrelevant or not what he said. It is simply to prove he said it.

Whether or not you value what a ceo goes on record saying is another point entirely. I will conclude that the remark "this summer" seems to have been made in regards to the android player, not native email... Read it and see what he did say about native email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    xandermac likes this.
    06-28-11 05:46 AM
    No one disputes that he said something about sixty days. Some people are trying to spin what he said to mean that sixty days isn't sixty days.

"Summer" is what was said by many different RIM employees at Blackberry World in demoing the email program. I understood their talk of a "summer" release to be a retraction of the sixty days even if was not an explicit retraction.

FWIW, I emailed a fair number of RIM employees about this issue. Most stick to "summer." Some gave more specific times than that. I think that we won't hear much more about it from RIM until RIM is confident that it has a program that is [near] ready to be released. I don't think that RIM wants to miss any more deadlines. So, if you don't give them, you can't miss them.

My guess is still September.
    06-28-11 06:03 AM
    that is why no public company leader want to put things in a concrete manner and like to be ambiguous because the public is unforgiving and they risk being sued if what they can't realize what they said..

06-28-11 06:09 AM
    “We will have, if you want, a standalone non-web, non-paired email client on it within the next, I believe it was 60 days scheduled.
    So he said he believes it was scheduled for 60 days. I don't see anything that provides a promise or guarantee like some people seem have selectively interpreted. They also said that the thing would be available in Q1 and they missed that mark. I still stand by my assumption that the e-mail, and PIM apps, are being held up waiting for the crypto kernel certification, which is out of RIM's hands and in the excruciatingly slow hands of NIST to approve. It's almost done, along with their Smart Card Reader, but NIST doesn't give a crap about a companies deadlines and schedules. I have worldwide deployments of hardware held hostage by this certification process before.
    06-28-11 06:16 AM
    Exactly, it was an approximation. I really don't get the deal with native email and calendar. If I'm on the move, it's faster to respond to email on my BB than the PB. It's a bonus if it's there but if you're on the move, you need to be tethered or bridged (unless your in a fixed location with Wi-fi) so what"s the difference?

06-28-11 06:30 AM
    Here lately in this forum, selective memories have really been kicking in to support one side or the other lately debating the progress of the playbook. Seems to have become as bad as politics.

Berryreporter

Okay the point here isnt argue if it is irrelevant or not what he said. It is simply to prove he said it.

Whether or not you value what a ceo goes on record saying is another point entirely. I will conclude that the remark "this summer" seems to have been made in regards to the android player, not native email... Read it and see what he did say about native email.

Thank you very much for the WSJ link! I knew that I saw an interview in which Jim stated that Native Email would be released in 60 days! I just couldn't remember when and where the interview took place.

I think the issue here is that Jim made a public statement with respect to a release date and the timeline has come and gone (native email in 60 days). We all know that timelines are meant to be broken, but because of Jim's earlier commitment, I personally believe that RIM has a duty to go on the record and provide their buying public with a current release date schedule for this feature. This is simply a matter of principle! I purchased the PB for the features and capability it had as of it's release date, so not having native email is not an issue for me, I probably won't even use it when it is released. The issue is one of living up to your commitments. Some users in other threads are angry about the broken timeline and I don't blame them. I think these users would be more than understanding if they knew what was causing the delay and when native email is scheduled for release.

RIM needs to hire a good PR firm and while they are at it a Marketing Firm as well! I do not understand why they do not get in front of these issues. The PB is awesome and offers some fantastic features and capabilities, unfortunately RIM is doing a horrible job of promoting the greatness of the PB. RIM has broken the golden rule of marketing - understand and know your target market! Nonetheless this is another story. Sorry for the rant!

Advice for RIM - Jim, get in front of the issue and release a tentative product roll out schedule. Having your loyal customer base twist in the wind can't be good for business. Every passing day without word tarnishes your reputation. The peasants are becoming restless!!!
    06-28-11 06:48 AM
    Exactly, it was an approximation. I really don't get the deal with native email and calendar. If I'm on the move, it's faster to respond to email on my BB than the PB. It's a bonus if it's there but if you're on the move, you need to be tethered or bridged (unless your in a fixed location with Wi-fi) so what"s the difference?
    1. Bridge means having my PB bluetooth and phone bluetooth on; it quickly drains battery on both devices pretty fast when I use bridged email for a long period. Sitting in a wifi spot being locked out of Playbook email cos my Blackberry died is not fun.

2. native email means that even when I'm not in a wifi spot I could work on my emails offline, like using my BB in a no-signal area - again saving battery which is a major concern if you're moving around all day.

3. Bridge crashes. It crashes a LOT for me, normally bringing my PB down with one of those leave-the-PB-for-an-hour-then-hard-reset crashes. A one-device solution would be much better.

In practice I access email on my PB using OWA. easier and more stable than the bridge.
    06-28-11 06:53 AM
    I agree that having said 60 days, that RIM should now give some other guidance. "Summer" is a little vague. I bet that there will be some other guidance but RIM probably wants to be sure that it can back up whatever it says. Maybe they are not confident about the date yet.

If you heard the earnings call, it is very clear that RIM understands that native email is a huge priority. We all want it but we also want it to be bulletproof. The only thing worse than a Blackberry that doesn't do email is a Blackberry that doesn't do email very well. Imagine the press on that!
    06-28-11 06:56 AM
    This probably won't help the argument, but I was in a Verizon Playbook beta program and after the program closed I received this:

We are excited to tell you that this feedback will be incorporated into future
    enhancements of the product and we are actively working on this. The Power
    Button has already been improved for future shipments. And, we will have a native
    mail/calendar and contact client launch in July 2011, this announcement was made
    at BlackBerry World™ in early May. We are also happy to communicate that we
    have many business features planned for launch in late 2011.
    06-28-11 07:03 AM
    Either way they are taking too long. Period!
    howarmat likes this.
    06-28-11 07:06 AM
    I dunno about you, but I can receive and reply emails on the BB in a fraction of time it takes to type out using the virtual keypad. Literally, if it takes me a minute to reply an email on the BB, it takes me 5 times as long to reply on the PB. So I still don't see why it is so crucial to have it on the PB. There isn't a moment in my day when I haven't got my mobile with me, the PB is a secondary device: it's heavier, larger, and less mobile. The point is, when I get an email, I whip out my BB, read the email and reply on the spot. For tasks where the PB actually comes in handy like viewing PDFs and Excel files, I bridge and use the email there. It's already there. How is native email going to change the way I read and reply my emails? It's not.

06-28-11 07:12 AM

Berryreporter

Thank you very much for the WSJ link! I knew that I saw an interview in which Jim stated that Native Email would be released in 60 days! I just couldn't remember when and where the interview took place.

I think the issue here is that Jim made a public statement with respect to a release date and the timeline has come and gone (native email in 60 days). We all know that timelines are meant to be broken, but because of Jim's earlier commitment, I personally believe that RIM has a duty to go on the record and provide their buying public with a current release date schedule for this feature. This is simply a matter of principle! I purchased the PB for the features and capability it had as of it's release date, so not having native email is not an issue for me, I probably won't even use it when it is released. The issue is one of living up to your commitments. Some users in other threads are angry about the broken timeline and I don't blame them. I think these users would be more than understanding if they knew what was causing the delay and when native email is scheduled for release.

RIM needs to hire a good PR firm and while they are at it a Marketing Firm as well! I do not understand why they do not get in front of these issues. The PB is awesome and offers some fantastic features and capabilities, unfortunately RIM is doing a horrible job of promoting the greatness of the PB. RIM has broken the golden rule of marketing - understand and know your target market! Nonetheless this is another story. Sorry for the rant!

Advice for RIM - Jim, get in front of the issue and release a tentative product roll out schedule. Having your loyal customer base twist in the wind can't be good for business. Every passing day without word tarnishes your reputation. The peasants are becoming restless!!!
    06-28-11 07:55 AM
    that is why no public company leader want to put things in a concrete manner and like to be ambiguous because the public is unforgiving and they risk being sued if what they can't realize what they said..

Well to be honest many ceo's, chairmen, etc do give deadlines, schedules, and so forth but they also make a point of keeping them. You cant just halt all such practices because the market will eat you alive- that is to say, competing companies will happily fill the void with their own press releases and interviews and then guess where the public's money is going....

You only get in trouble when you consistently make claims you cannot or will not back up. if you take a loan out at a bank and claim "i will make a payment every 30 days", and then you dont.... is the loan officer.going to say "ah well. we have to quit being a hater and expect them to meet this schedule (of payments). Its a new business and it takes time."

Yea, they will let it slide once or twice (and you pay a penalty)... but what if you consistently miss the payment deadlines? You dont make them at all?

Anyway the point is made.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 06-28-11 at 08:25 AM.
    06-28-11 08:18 AM
    Why do people keep hanging on to Jim's 60 days comment? Look here is the timeline:

April 15th - Jim says he [I]believes[I] (not exactly a confidence inspiring word) that native email is scheduled to be released in 60 days.

May 3rd - At BlackBerry World, native email is demoed and it is announced that it will be released sometime this summer.

OK, so once we were updated on the progress at BBW, Jim's April 15th interview went out the window. Why then are some of you still hanging on the 60 days?
    06-28-11 08:26 AM
    Well to be honest many ceo's, chairmen, etc do give deadlines, schedules, and so forth but they also make a point of keeping them. You cant just halt all such practices because the market will eat you alive- that is to say, competing companies will happily fill the void with their own press releases and interviews and then guess where the public's money is going....

You only get in trouble when you consistently make claims you cannot or will not back up. if you take a loan out at a bank and claim "i will make a payment every 30 days", and then you dont.... is the loan officer.going to say "ah well. we have to quit being a hater and expect them to meet this schedule (of payments). Its a new business and it takes time."

Yea, they will let it slide once or twice (and you pay a penalty)... but what if you consistently miss the payment deadlines? You dont make them at all?

Anyway the point is made.
    Sorry, but your analogy doesn't make sense. When you get a loan from a bank, you sign a promissory note regarding repayment. RIM has no such promissory note with you. It's buyer beware. You should buy a product based on what it has now, not what it may have in the future.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    06-28-11 08:34 AM
    Ok one thing a lot of people DO NOT UNDERSTAND! Programming isn't easy other we would all be the next bill gates and programming some great new applications.

coding isn't easy and all it takes is for some code to get done and it not co operate with the rest of the system and you need to rework the code until its smooth. For all we know, Basille was told that it was looking promising for a 60 day release (business days) but something in the code stopped them and had to redo the code for the apps.

Having done junior programming before, I know what its like to go through the headaches of missing deadlines because of the code doing something unexpected. So you guys need to lay off a bit. We dont know the reasons. its not like RIM is sitting on the perfect code right now and giving us the finger, they would love to get it to you angry people cause you are all whining, but the fact is, i can bet you a lot of money, the coders are working non stop to make sure everything is fine before it goes to QT
    06-28-11 08:59 AM
    You'll get your native e-mail WHEN IT'S DONE. You can be sure that RIM isn't content with coding a simple SMTP client or it would be out by now.
    06-28-11 09:13 AM
    The bottom line is the PB does not have native email. At least not yet. Any one who brought one bought it without this feature. What did you do before the playbook? If you have a BB or other smart phone you have email or you can use other methods suggested when PB was released such as bridge or through the browser.

Otherwise whining about some supposed deadline/promise is pointless! Native email will be on the PB when it gets there! Not a moment before.

06-28-11 09:20 AM
    The bottom line is the PB does not have native email. At least not yet. Any one who brought one bought it without this feature. What did you do before the playbook? If you have a BB or other smart phone you have email or you can use other methods suggested when PB was released such as bridge or through the browser.

Otherwise whining about some supposed deadline/promise is pointless! Native email will be on the PB when it gets there! Not a moment before.

Stop it. You're making way too much sense.

06-28-11 09:27 AM
    Ok one thing a lot of people DO NOT UNDERSTAND! Programming isn't easy other we would all be the next bill gates and programming some great new applications.

coding isn't easy and all it takes is for some code to get done and it not co operate with the rest of the system and you need to rework the code until its smooth. For all we know, Basille was told that it was looking promising for a 60 day release (business days) but something in the code stopped them and had to redo the code for the apps.

Having done junior programming before, I know what its like to go through the headaches of missing deadlines because of the code doing something unexpected. So you guys need to lay off a bit. We dont know the reasons. its not like RIM is sitting on the perfect code right now and giving us the finger, they would love to get it to you angry people cause you are all whining, but the fact is, i can bet you a lot of money, the coders are working non stop to make sure everything is fine before it goes to QT
    Eh... It's not easy when you're starting with a blank canvas. Email is 40 years old now. They know exactly how to make an email client at this point. If I was going to speculate, I'd say they changed their mind about whether or not it would use BIS to do it and had to start over again.
    06-28-11 09:39 AM
    Eh... It's not easy when you're starting with a blank canvas. Email is 40 years old now. They know exactly how to make an email client at this point. If I was going to speculate, I'd say they changed their mind about whether or not it would use BIS to do it and had to start over again.
    I say the difficulty is their internal systems and the way they handle customer devices. Before with a BES or BIS plan one account meant one PIN, so that was easy. Now if you have a BB and a PB you have two PINs to register on the same account, which means the mail, etc. needs to be synchronized on two devices instead of just one. With e-mail RIM has to support both BES and BIS data, not just plain SMTP or POP.

I'm thinking when this is done we'll get native BBM on the PB too, not just e-mail. That would be huge. I'd especially love the ability to use my phone's PIN and contact list on my PB without being bridged to the phone, since both PINs would be on my BB account.
    06-28-11 10:42 AM
    OMG not this again...this topic and that interview have been discussed to death already.
    06-28-11 10:48 AM
    on topic again...

After some thinking and looking back at my BlackBerry past, comparing that to what Mr Balsillie says in the interview I personally think he's right on most points.
    Somehow I know our PlayBooks will evolve to the ultimate tablet, my past BlackBerries did...

And just like most of us, the more I use it the more I love it, if we got the apps we want, we're there ... cannot think of anything else really.

Thanks for the link OP.
    06-28-11 01:25 PM
    Playbook is the new storm rant section combined with news and rumors (for some reason people love posting stock crap in here too), yay...
    06-28-11 01:29 PM
    No, please not native email and 60 days again - I'm going outside to bash my head with my playbook until I'm dead.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-28-11 01:40 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD