Hello, is it okay to store my backup in my PlayBook? I want to backup my iMac files, but have no spare external drive at the moment. And I was thinking it's such a waste not to be able to use my PlayBook's spare memory.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. =)

Posted via CB10
    ronelectronic likes this.
    10-23-13 06:54 AM
    i think you can if they arent to big. I dont know if there is a file size limit
    10-23-13 10:40 AM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try, then. I was worried about compatibility issues and possibly damaging the PlayBook or the iMac (I don't know much about computers). But I couldn't find anything online or in the forums regarding this, so I'll just go ahead and give it a go.

Thank you very much for your response.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 11:29 AM
    Only issue I can see is that if you are using it solely as a backup respository and locking it away in a drawer, you might have the usual fun and games when it comes to trying to charge it back up.
    10-23-13 11:37 AM
    You also don't want to full it completely. The PB needs some space to run and if max out your available storage you may end up losing it all.
    10-23-13 11:48 AM
    You also don't want to full it completely. The PB needs some space to run and if max out your available storage you may end up losing it all.
    So does it need free Storage Memory (ie some of the 64Gb) to run properly, as well as Operating Memory (the 1Gb)??
    Any idea roughly how much I should leave free, as I'm filling mine up with movies at the moment. I have about 5Gb free I think (without looking)
    10-23-13 12:04 PM
    So does it need free Storage Memory (ie some of the 64Gb) to run properly, as well as Operating Memory (the 1Gb)??
    Any idea roughly how much I should leave free, as I'm filling mine up with movies at the moment. I have about 5Gb free I think (without looking)
    Don't know for sure but I folks have reported the PB becoming unresponsive with less than 2 gb free. I haven't filled mine to that level so I've not run into the issue myself. Check with F2 I believe he filled his up and ran into issues.
    10-23-13 12:18 PM
    Hello, is it okay to store my backup in my PlayBook? I want to backup my iMac files, but have no spare external drive at the moment. And I was thinking it's such a waste not to be able to use my PlayBook's spare memory.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. =)

Posted via CB10
    Suggest you check your procedure for backup and recovery out with a test file for each type of file you want to back up. Frankly with other forms of storage so available and relatively inexpensive never thought of this use for the PB. For your most important files and pictures would suggest a third backup preferably to be stored at another site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-23-13 01:22 PM
    I have a 64gb Playbook and I've used it for storage, large and small files no problem. I agree though, that you do not want to fill it to the brim. I would leave a few gigs available.
    10-23-13 04:04 PM
    Everyone, thanks a lot for the tips! I won't totally fill up my PlayBook, then. If I run into issues I'll post them in this thread.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 09:55 PM
    Don't know for sure but I folks have reported the PB becoming unresponsive with less than 2 gb free. I haven't filled mine to that level so I've not run into the issue myself. Check with F2 I believe he filled his up and ran into issues.
    You do want some breathing space or things can lag or it can reboot.

Also, while it could make a handy storage device, thumb drives do not need power to maintain the data. As indicated, the pb should not be set in a drawer to be used a year later for data recovery. Some pb's, not all, have had trouble being charged after they've gone flat and been left that way too long.
    10-24-13 01:39 AM
    Only issue I can see is that if you are using it solely as a backup respository and locking it away in a drawer, you might have the usual fun and games when it comes to trying to charge it back up.
    Exactly. don't let your playbook completely drain of power. asking for trouble. so much easier to keep it charged

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    10-24-13 02:15 AM
    I still use my PlayBook regularly so there's no worry about leaving it somewhere and forgotten. =)

Got it. Spare at least 2gb of space, and don't let the battery die. I'll keep all these in mind.

Thanks so much again for the wonderful help. This is why I love the Crackberry community. =)

Posted via CB10
    Chrysalis1156 and nappp like this.
    10-24-13 11:04 AM