So I was just backing up my playbook and noticed that the size of the backup is only 6GB.
    On the other hand, when I check my playbook in the General->Hardware information, it shows that the total available space is about 14GB and about 3GB Free Storage Space.

So I'm not sure if that 14GB is the actual free space you have or if that is including the OS or not, but considering the 14GB is not including OS overhead and partitioning, lets say in the worse case, I have actually only 10GB for data and applications.

10GB - 6GB = 4GB.

What isn't my playbook backing up? Or is the compression that great?

Note: I just restarted the playbook prior to backing up and checking the storage memory left, so I know it's not from application installation files.

What gives?
    03-22-12 07:49 PM
    You need to understand the structure of the PB OS install, there is hd1 and hd 2 both with OS's in them, to put it simply. So, you have a limited amount of actual storage memory
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-22-12 08:14 PM
    The backup, I believe, does not backup the operating system.
    03-22-12 09:00 PM
    Also the backup is compressed, so certain types of files will shrink significantly in the backup. As well, files in the filesystem always take up an integral number of "blocks", usually 4K each, so on average every file wastes 2K. This doesn't happen in the backup.
    Hgouck likes this.
    03-22-12 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD