Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the back of my playbook is starting to stick out a little. So that it doesn�t sit flat on a desk. I�m guessing this is to do with overheating (though I can�t say I have used my playbook loads and loads). Has anyone else had this problem? Would this be covered under manufactures warranty?

Or does anyone have any suggestions for a fix?
    10-02-13 08:12 AM
    Had this on all 3 playbooks that i've bought.

Doesn't affect performance so i dont worry about it.

You could also take the view that it's a design feature - it allows a flat PB to be 'spun' so another user can see what your taling about
    Carl Estes, adougl16 and FF22 like this.
    10-02-13 08:29 AM
    Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the back of my playbook is starting to stick out a little. So that it doesn’t sit flat on a desk. I’m guessing this is to do with overheating (though I can’t say I have used my playbook loads and loads). Has anyone else had this problem? Would this be covered under manufactures warranty?

Not a real problem, unless it reeeeaaallly bugs you. Just an unintended "feature" like mentioned above in the process of "staking: the logo on the back cover distorts the body a bit. I have one that raised a bit, that unit stays in a case, and my second in flat as a pancake.

Just the roll of the dice, but nothing to worry about.

c
    10-02-13 08:39 AM
    Had this on all 3 playbooks that i've bought.

Doesn't affect performance so i dont worry about it.

You could also take the view that it's a design feature - it allows a flat PB to be 'spun' so another user can see what your taling about
    i like that idea! spinning it around is much better than passing it around.
    but none of yours have got too bad that you couldn't use them? I'm a bit worried that if i keep using it it will just get worse
    10-02-13 08:39 AM
    i like that idea! spinning it around is much better than passing it around.
    but none of yours have got too bad that you couldn't use them? I'm a bit worried that if i keep using it it will just get worse
    My first PB has had zero signs of the warping growing or getting worse. Bought @ launch (ouch).
    Now, if it start to look/act more like "tip n Tell", then you could have an issue.......

Don't fret about it.

c.
    10-02-13 08:44 AM
    Purchased mine at launch. No warping at all. Use it and charge it every day. I generally keep it in the journal case and charge with the rapid (magnetic contact) charger. Sounds like the battery is expanding causing the warp. I see that a lot in UPS Battery Backup units when the batteries are going out. I would call BB and make a claim if you can.
    10-02-13 08:57 AM
    Purchased mine at launch. No warping at all. Use it and charge it every day. I generally keep it in the journal case and charge with the rapid (magnetic contact) charger. Sounds like the battery is expanding causing the warp. I see that a lot in UPS Battery Backup units when the batteries are going out. I would call BB and make a claim if you can.
    it's after my 1 year warranty - but i have always found BB to be excellent whenever i have phoned them, so i might give it a go
    10-02-13 09:17 AM
    Hello all,

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the back of my playbook is starting to stick out a little. So that it doesn’t sit flat on a desk. I’m guessing this is to do with overheating (though I can’t say I have used my playbook loads and loads). Has anyone else had this problem? Would this be covered under manufactures warranty?

Is it bulging at the center, where the logo is? Or on the side, where the batteries are?

If it'sat the BB Logo, don't worry about it, cosmetic issue.

If it's on the sides where is a battery on each side of the unit, that could be an issue of battery failing/leaking like above poster mentioned.
    That you would want to send back ASAP.....
    c
    10-02-13 01:15 PM
    There are a number of BULGING threads. There's even one where a guy used a hair dryer to warm the plastic and press it back to flat and allowed it to cool. He reported it never returned.

BUT if the bulge is actually getting bigger, that might be an issue. Generally, the bulge does not grow.
    anon(1852343) and Carl Estes like this.
    10-02-13 06:47 PM
    There are a number of BULGING threads. There's even one where a guy used a hair dryer to warm the plastic and press it back to flat and allowed it to cool. He reported it never returned.

BUT if the bulge is actually getting bigger, that might be an issue. Generally, the bulge does not grow.
    LOL bulge doesn't grow? Where is SOM when you need him?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    10-02-13 11:47 PM
    Is it bulging at the center, where the logo is? Or on the side, where the batteries are?

If it'sat the BB Logo, don't worry about it, cosmetic issue.

If it's on the sides where is a battery on each side of the unit, that could be an issue of battery failing/leaking like above poster mentioned.
    That you would want to send back ASAP.....
    c
    it is right in the middle where the logo is. i dont think it is getting worse thankfully
    10-03-13 03:05 AM
    Most probably a swollen battery. PS. Li-ion batteries don't leak, they just produce gases that inflate it. Saw one case where a battery got almost as round as a rubber ball (softball to be exact).

Happens to allot of devices. Nothing to worry about.

PS2: happened with the extended batteries of my bold 9900, they bounced like footballs. XD

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-03-13 06:57 AM
    it is right in the middle where the logo is. i dont think it is getting worse thankfully
    You would be able to tell if it's the stamping/location at the logo location. And if it is/are one of the batteries, you would see the bulgiing/swelling starting to come from more of the sides of the Playbook.

As long as the PB holds a charge and has good runtime, more than likey the batteries are fine.

Enjoy and welcome!

c
    10-03-13 08:52 AM
    if you charge the pb in a case, or in between a couple heavy books, it'll press the bulge back into place,,, that's the only time it gets hot enough to cause this,,, i did this one time, & haven't seen it since,,, i'm thinking there may be some stress in the back that causes this when heated, doing the case/book move relieves it...
    Carl Estes and jarviser like this.
    10-03-13 09:01 AM
    if you charge the pb in a case, or in between a couple heavy books, it'll press the bulge back into place,,, that's the only time it gets hot enough to cause this,,, i did this one time, & haven't seen it since,,, i'm thinking there may be some stress in the back that causes this when heated, doing the case/book move relieves it...
    Yes mine came from the factory bulged, and after s a year of use it went flat.

Sorry, but the swollen battery theory is both frightening and unlikely in this case, as folk who have taken off the backs to flatten it with a hair dryer have reported no battery swelling.
    10-03-13 02:12 PM
    It's not bulging, it's just fluffy. Happens with age
    Carl Estes, FF22 and dphjeff like this.
    10-03-13 03:04 PM
    It's not bulging, it's just fluffy. Happens with age
    I resemble that remark - oh, except at the hairline which is less fluffy!
    Carl Estes and Cynycl like this.
    10-03-13 07:59 PM