So my Playbook went off to RMA land when the rubber gasket came lose near the speaker. From the time I called it was about a week for them to send me the pre-paid Fed-Ex envelope, receive it in Nashville, turn it around and get it back to me. Pretty good.

Based on the fast return, I assumed this would be a new/refurbished unit rather than the one I sent back. There are some physical changes to the tablet; the power button is slightly higher now and has a noticeable 'clicky' feel to the action that wasn't there before. The rear camera appears slightly different with a wider diameter hole in the case, and the screen and case are both absolutely flawless; looks brand new.

In short; I was absolutely certain this was a new device until I checked the serial number, and it's the same. What's up with that?
    08-09-12 08:20 AM
    When I sent a PB in for a non-functioning power button RIM sent the same one back. With a raised button of course.

They may have taken your innards a placed them in a different case. That would retain the serial number. Or maybe they change the serial number in a refurbished PB
    08-09-12 08:26 AM
    So my Playbook went off to RMA land when the rubber gasket came lose near the speaker. From the time I called it was about a week for them to send me the pre-paid Fed-Ex envelope, receive it in Nashville, turn it around and get it back to me. Pretty good.

Based on the fast return, I assumed this would be a new/refurbished unit rather than the one I sent back. There are some physical changes to the tablet; the power button is slightly higher now and has a noticeable 'clicky' feel to the action that wasn't there before. The rear camera appears slightly different with a wider diameter hole in the case, and the screen and case are both absolutely flawless; looks brand new.

In short; I was absolutely certain this was a new device until I checked the serial number, and it's the same. What's up with that?
    So for that defect you expect/want a new PB? That is a minor fix. You don't expect Ford or Toyota when they recall cars for problems to give you a new car?
    If the defect on your PB is severe, then they will probably exchange it. But a rubber gasket around speaker? Come on.
    08-09-12 08:38 AM
    So for that defect you expect/want a new PB? That is a minor fix. You don't expect Ford or Toyota when they recall cars for problems to give you a new car?
    If the defect on your PB is severe, then they will probably exchange it. But a rubber gasket around speaker? Come on.
    I'm actually surprised RIM would warranty that in the first place. The rubber is not something that just come loose without some external force.

When I sent my wife's PB in I mentioned that my PB had the same flush power button but was easy to press. RIM offered to repair mine too even though it was past the year. Seems like they are trying to keep people happy and I appreciate that.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    08-09-12 08:46 AM
    WTF are you talking about? This thread has nothing to do with what I EXPECTED, which was to have my PB repaired. Because they got it back so fast (which I appreciated) I figured it must be a new device since there would hardly have been time for them to fix it.

Did you even read my post? It LOOKS like I got a new device, but it has the same serial number as my old one. I find that interesting, so I'm curious about it.

Thanks for dropping in.

I'm actually surprised RIM would warranty that in the first place. The rubber is not something that just come loose without some external force.
    From searching around prior to the RMA it looks like this is a fairly common problem; the gasket pops out at one or the other of the speaker cut-outs. I tried various ways to re-mount it but had no luck at all. As for external force; my PB rarely travels and when it does it's in the neoprene sock; not much physical wear and tear; although it could be that the neoprene case rubbing on the gasket was enough to pull it out of the channel.

Like I mentioned previously, I had no other complaints on this RMA, but they either repaired the power button or replaced the device, I'm still not sure which. From start to finish the entire RMA process was incredibly fast and easy.
    Last edited by Mikey_T; 08-09-12 at 10:39 AM.
    08-09-12 10:31 AM
    I had the same thoughts. 2 weeks ago I sent mine in for RMA as the cameras seemed to malfunction. I received my FedEx kit on a Thursday, sent off Friday morning, and had it back Wednesday morning by 10am (granted I'm in St. Louis and the facility was in Tennesee).

My playbook feels different. The power button was raised (could be easy fix), but the rubber material and screen felt great. Of course, mine had a screen protector on it and when this came back, it didn't have it on there. I did make sure to confirm my serial number on my playbook before and its the same now. However, I distinctly remember my serial number being somewhat tough to read on my playbook prior to RMA. I actually had to go to the settings in the software to confirm what i was reading. Now, the Serial # on the bottom is clear as day. I was thinking maybe they reprinted it on this one, and just gave me a new case with the same internal components.

Bottom line, this thread has given my premonition a bit more credibility. RIM also repaired my Playbook about 4-5 months after the 1 year warranty expired. I was very pleased with this. They obviously didn't have to do that.
    08-09-12 10:40 AM
    WTF are you talking about? This thread has nothing to do with what I EXPECTED, which was to have my PB repaired. Because they got it back so fast (which I appreciated) I figured it must be a new device since there would hardly have been time for them to fix it.

Did you even read my post? It LOOKS like I got a new device, but it has the same serial number as my old one. I find that interesting, so I'm curious about it.

Thanks for dropping in.

From searching around prior to the RMA it looks like this is a fairly common problem; the gasket pops out at one or the other of the speaker cut-outs. I tried various ways to re-mount it but had no luck at all. As for external force; my PB rarely travels and when it does it's in the neoprene sock; not much physical wear and tear; althoug it could be that the neoprene case rubbing on the gasket was enough to pull it out of the channel.
    From your original: In short; I was absolutely certain this was a new device until I checked the serial number, and it's the same. What's up with that?

In other words, it means you first thought it was a new device, but then the serial number show it was actually your old one, which means you thought they screw you by just fixing your old one and it is not really new. The way you constructed it, it indicated you were disappointed they send you back your old s/n PB and not a new s/n one.
    Don't blame me if you didn't explain it better or that others read it differently! You ended with an opened ended question which can be read in many ways.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 08-09-12 at 10:46 AM.
    08-09-12 10:42 AM
    In other words, it means you first thought it was a new device, but then the serial number show it was actually your old one, which means you thought they screw you by just fixing your old one and it is not really new. The way you constructed it, it indicated you were disappointed they send you back your old s/n PB and not a new s/n one.
    Don't blame me if you didn't explain it better or that others read it differently!
    Fair enough, I thought it was clear but I can see how you may have misinterpreted.

My point is that everything looks new; no scratches, no scuffs, slightly different rear camera port, different action on the power button, device and OS wiped, etc. Everything points to a new or refurbished device; except the serial number is the same - which seems really odd.

Do they paint a serial number on a blank case to match the old one? Did they actually tear my old device apart, refurbish everything and get it back in the mail in less than 24 hours? I have no idea.
    08-09-12 10:46 AM
    Fair enough, I thought it was clear but I can see how you may have misinterpreted.

My point is that everything looks new; no scratches, no scuffs, slightly different rear camera port, different action on the power button, device and OS wiped, etc. Everything points to a new or refurbished device; except the serial number is the same - which seems really odd.

Do they paint a serial number on a blank case to match the old one? Did they actually tear my old device apart, refurbish everything and get it back in the mail in less than 24 hours? I have no idea.
    So it looks like in many cases they exchange for a new one, but still keep the original s/n. Hmmm.. does that mean the warranty on the 'new' one start from scratch or actually falls under the 'old' one?
    08-09-12 10:57 AM
    When you say, "It has the same serial number." Do you mean the serial number near the HDMI port and the serial number when you go to Settings > About > General > Serial Number both match the serial number on your original box?
    08-09-12 10:58 AM
    I haven't been into the settings yet (still updating) but the serial number next to the HDMI port is the same; and the case is one of the things that appears to have been replaced (or else they buffed the out of it and bored out the camera port!)
    08-09-12 10:59 AM
    So it looks like in many cases they exchange for a new one, but still keep the original s/n. Hmmm.. does that mean the warranty on the 'new' one start from scratch or actually falls under the 'old' one?
    It could be a warranty thing; you actually get a new device but by keeping the original serial number as far as their system is concerned it's still the original unit.

I just can't get over that they would go to the trouble of stamping a custom number on a clean case.
    08-09-12 11:06 AM
    RIM has an exchange service during the 90 day support period. They send you a PB, you send your's back, they put a charge to your credit card, they credit the charge back when they receive the PB. This PB has a different S/N (obviously). Very fast and takes about 3 days. In your case, I don't think 1 week turnaround is that unusual, since there was really no troubleshooting required. I'm sure they found it easier to slap a new case on rather than mess around changing a gasket to get it to look halfway decent. I think they consider the recessed power button a design flaw now as that was what mine went in for. So they proactively changed it out. They probably were able to put your S/N on the case since it was a cosmetic repair. S/Ns have to stay with the device or it would be a quality control nightmare. So probably a nonevent and don't worry about it. The OS wipe is weird, though. Maybe they just do it routinely for privacy protection.
    Last edited by Gooseberry Falls; 08-09-12 at 11:25 AM.
    08-09-12 11:18 AM
    I had a defective usb/power plug and I called on Monday and had the PB back on Friday morning. The new PB was in a brown box with the serial number on the outside which matched the serial number on the case and internal which was different than the PB I sent in. I had not anticipated getting a new unit since i had had mine for over a year. I think RIM is trying to provide excellent customer service in regards to the PB.
    08-09-12 12:53 PM
    The motherboard (for the power button issue), and then they just replaced the whole front screen assy/speaker panel INTO you "old" existing outer case. Hence the same serial number.

C
    08-09-12 01:08 PM
    Is the MAC address of your WiFi adapter the same?
    08-09-12 01:14 PM
    Is the MAC address of your WiFi adapter the same?
    Wow. I have no idea what that means or how to check it
    08-09-12 03:14 PM

Are you sure they didn't put LTE chipsets in there?
    08-09-12 03:23 PM
    Wow. I have no idea what that means or how to check it
    It's the unique network address of the network adapter in your Playbook. Basically, it will tell you whether or not they've switched the logic board.

It's easy to find on the playbook, i think it's in the about section under network. It will look something like this: 01:23:45:67:89:ab

As for finding out what it used to be, the only way I can think of is to check your wireless router to see if it has MAC address logging turned on. If so, you could probably compare and see if the address is the same or it it's changed.
    08-09-12 04:27 PM
    The motherboard (for the power button issue), and then they just replaced the whole front screen assy/speaker panel INTO you "old" existing outer case. Hence the same serial number.

C
    This is probably what happened. If anyone has a had chance to look at the iFixit teardown you'll notice the casing for the back is empty. Everything fits nicely on the screen assembly.
    08-09-12 04:39 PM
    Mine left Seattle on Thurs afternoon at 4pm. A "new" pb arrived here on either Monday or Tues. It had a different serial number. Looked brand new.
    08-09-12 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD