Sounds like you need to learn about FLAC.
    I didn't know about FLAC but have just looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounds very interesting if it duplicates CD quality exactly and takes up less memory than .wav. I will certainly see how I can use it.

Last night I had by PB plugged into my Mission Cyrus 2 + PSX amplifier and Celestion speakers. Sounded great. Without doing serious comparative listening tests I don't know just how good a music player the Playbook is, but my reference point is always how the music sounds on vinyl played on my Linn LP12 turtable. In my experience, for sheer involvement in the music, and a sort of "3D" ambience, nothing comes close (other than other high quality turntables and maybe really high-end CD players of course).

However as far as tablets and phones are concerned, the convenience of using them as music sources is often of more importance than the ultimate sound quality. Listening to vinyl is a wonderful experience, but it's a bit of a faff!
    01-19-12 05:08 AM
    Just to clarify one thing. If you try exactly the same music file, the sound quality from PB would be highly dependable on the connection type I guess. If you use digital connection (HDMI) then yes, you can achieve superb audio quality simply because in this case the signal is transmitted in a raw digital format. The receiver does the most of the job (digital - analogue conversion, amplifying). The PB connected this way is only I'd say a file storage with nice user interface and when hooked up to a decent receiver it should sound good.

When the headphone output is used then it's a different story. PB is not a dedicated audio device but if paired with good headphones I find the quality enough for casual listening (bus etc.).
    01-19-12 05:29 AM
    Maybe theres potential for an app to be developed
    I certainly wouldn't mind if a third-party music player app were developed. The native music player is generally awful in a number of respects. (It says a lot that the media player on BB handhelds -- not exactly the be-all and end-all of music players -- is better than the one on the PB.)

I can live without EQ, though. Flat is best.
    01-19-12 06:01 AM
    Wanting EQ usually means your Headphones/Audio Equipment isn't to your liking.
    Yes, including the playback device. But also, as in my case, I have a little high frequency loss in my hearing.
    01-19-12 07:51 AM
    the music player isnt the greatest but it will suffice for now. i just wish for the ability to make and save multiple playlist from the pb. sound quality from headphones is fine. i dont need anything like super duper awesomeness when listening to music on the go. on the other hand, the quality of the speakeris quite super duper awesomeness for a tablet and it makes it so convinient to listen to music while doing stuff. i no longer need to carry my laptol to my kitchen to listen to music while i cook and stuff like that.
    01-19-12 08:10 AM
    Thinking of buying a playbook but my question is will they continue to support the older models and push the 2.0 update or should I wait and get a new one when they come out.

I know Blackberry / rim is struggling but I really like the playbook
    djrupey likes this.
    01-19-12 08:35 AM
    2.0 update will be available to all playbooks as an off the air update.

get the pb now if u like it while prices are low.
    01-19-12 09:18 AM
    the music player isnt the greatest but it will suffice for now. i just wish for the ability to make and save multiple playlist from the pb. sound quality from headphones is fine. i dont need anything like super duper awesomeness when listening to music on the go. on the other hand, the quality of the speakeris quite super duper awesomeness for a tablet and it makes it so convinient to listen to music while doing stuff. i no longer need to carry my laptol to my kitchen to listen to music while i cook and stuff like that.
    One improvement -- actually, it would be a bug fix in my eyes -- that the PB music player definitely needs is a more refined search function. If one searches for a particular artist by name, the results returned are not just that artist, but also any album or song that also matches the name (particularly difficult if one is searching for The Who). Plus search results are always lists of songs when searching by artist or album. If you type in an artist or album name in the BB Music Player, you just get that artist or that album -- not a list of songs.
    01-19-12 09:21 AM
    I didn't know about FLAC but have just looked it up on Wikipedia. Sounds very interesting if it duplicates CD quality exactly and takes up less memory than .wav. I will certainly see how I can use it.

Last night I had by PB plugged into my Mission Cyrus 2 + PSX amplifier and Celestion speakers. Sounded great. Without doing serious comparative listening tests I don't know just how good a music player the Playbook is, but my reference point is always how the music sounds on vinyl played on my Linn LP12 turtable. In my experience, for sheer involvement in the music, and a sort of "3D" ambience, nothing comes close (other than other high quality turntables and maybe really high-end CD players of course).

However as far as tablets and phones are concerned, the convenience of using them as music sources is often of more importance than the ultimate sound quality. Listening to vinyl is a wonderful experience, but it's a bit of a faff!
    Nice equipment!
    01-19-12 09:29 AM

Flac is great. Been using it for a few years now. Compressed & Lossless, have your cake and eat it too.
    sam_g_84 likes this.
    01-20-12 03:31 PM
    If the RIM people really want to sell Playbook's, they should consider making it an audiophile table. They really would not have to do too much with it other than making an audio suite software package and add an audio codec called Opus. Maybe also include a windows, linix and ios high bit streaming program to stream from computer to PlayBook.
    Last edited by Rxtab; 09-16-12 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
    09-16-12 11:19 AM
    Optical out would be nice.
    09-16-12 10:31 PM
    Old thread but thought this might catch someone's attention.
    Install the Neutron player app and you can play FLAC files and have exceptional customized playback functions. I use it both through HDMI in my main system and analog out to a vintage receiver in my bedroom.
    03-31-14 07:45 PM
    Yes neutron is great. I use it too. But it's heavy on battery usage. The only thing I would really like is to have a USB audio out so I can use an external DAC. But so far I'm satisfied with audio quality from BlackBerry devices.

Q10 SQN100-3 | Z30 STA100-2 |10.2.1.2141 iPhone 4s IOS 7.xx
    03-31-14 07:48 PM
    I'm using Neutron. I hook up a Belkin HD audio receiver (bluetooth) to a high end Cambrige Audio receiver via optical cable. The sound is awsome!
    04-06-14 07:43 PM
    Optical out would be nice.
    Belkin HD audio receiver...
    04-06-14 07:46 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD