they are not planning to add an EQ to the player anytime soon. Michael Clewey tweeted.
    01-17-12 11:10 PM
    ...currently no volume control for A2DP bluetooth from the PB in beta OS 2.0

My BB Torch can... my iPod 4 32G can... broadcasting to the same piece of gear. PB can't currently.

Better be there in the full OS2 release... I'm counting on it.

Regards,
    01-17-12 11:14 PM
    So far haven't been able to get my Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receiver to read my Playbook's music files via USB connection.
    I tried that at first, but my denon 1911 only likes mp3's. Does yours have hdmi?
    01-18-12 01:36 AM
    I use .wav files as standard in all my devices -Storm 1, Playbook, portable hard drive to plug into any PC via USB. I have used these all these as a source for my DJing activities and the sound quality is awesome. I will not use MP3s if I can help it. Yes, .wav files are ten times the size but with memory storage cheaper by the day who cares, sound quality is far more important, especially when played at high volume over a good hifi system.
    O-Cilfa likes this.
    01-18-12 03:40 AM
    PlayBook + mini HDMI + chipped XBox360 + Cambridge Audio soundsystem + Eltax floorstanding speakers = me
    O-Cilfa likes this.
    01-18-12 04:04 AM
    Playbook through Arcam receiver to My Paradigm Studio speakers sounds good to me.
    01-18-12 05:02 AM
    There are currently a lot of things the Phones do that the PlayBook doesn't. Remember, this is a brand new OS and the list is long.
    01-18-12 05:30 AM
    My PB is playin great on Denon Receiver attached with German Teufel 5.1 Soundsystem.
    On the go i'm using my torch together with Philips SHB-9001 Bluetooth headphones. (A2DP)
    Looking forward to A2DP-support for the PB, paired with FLAC support for maximum audio enjoyment.
    01-18-12 05:42 AM
    No, im not talking about the headphone port(It's fine though). Hooking up the playbook to my denon with hdmi is beyond cool. I know you couldx do the same with a number of other devices, but playing .wav's of poets of the fall is surreal! Share your media expierences.
    This is awesome! I hadn't thought of plugging into my Denon - I have plugged into the hdmi on the Sony tv which works great.
    01-18-12 07:27 AM
    Playbook through Arcam receiver to My Paradigm Studio speakers sounds good to me.
    Ooooo, Arcam! I want to come over with some demo discs!
    01-18-12 12:12 PM
    It does not support FLAC
    Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    Thats it.
    My Apple loving friend was just telling me he read a technical paper that discussed how 128kbps AAC was identical to .wav. He was skeptical but could not hear a difference between the two over Grado SR-80's. I love MP3's for size and convenience, but hate them for sound quality.

Can anyone else attest to that Apple claim that has tried it with better headphones?
    01-18-12 12:16 PM
    I use .wav files as standard in all my devices -Storm 1, Playbook, portable hard drive to plug into any PC via USB. I have used these all these as a source for my DJing activities and the sound quality is awesome. I will not use MP3s if I can help it. Yes, .wav files are ten times the size but with memory storage cheaper by the day who cares, sound quality is far more important, especially when played at high volume over a good hifi system.
    Sounds like you need to learn about FLAC.
    01-18-12 12:23 PM
    My Apple loving friend was just telling me he read a technical paper that discussed how 128kbps AAC was identical to .wav. He was skeptical but could not hear a difference between the two over Grado SR-80's. I love MP3's for size and convenience, but hate them for sound quality.

Can anyone else attest to that Apple claim that has tried it with better headphones?
    AAC is a lossy codec just like MP3
    128k should be discernible from any lossless codec.

Arguably though, 90% of music over 200k can get kind of transparent after that.
    It can also depend on the listener
    Hearing sensitivity
    Focus on the music
    Sound System
    01-18-12 01:08 PM
    If I could get optical or coax out of a Playbook I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    01-18-12 01:13 PM
    I pass the audio from my HDTV to my receiver when my PB is connected to the TV. That's actually my fourth option re: music -- I can also BT stream music from the 32GB SD card on my 9810, use the iPod classic sitting on a DLO dock connected to the TV and receiver, or use the DLNA on my Bluray. The PB gives the best visual, although it's the clumsiest option in terms of mobility and remote control.
    01-18-12 02:14 PM
    AAC is a lossy codec just like MP3
    128k should be discernible from any lossless codec.

Arguably though, 90% of music over 200k can get kind of transparent after that.
    It can also depend on the listener
    Hearing sensitivity
    Focus on the music
    Sound System
    If AAC is lossy, I don't see how the claim can be "identical to .wav". I can normally tell the difference with MP3's encoded at 320kbps. The dynamic range just isn't there. The cymbals don't sound natural or...well most of the spectrum doesn't sound natural. I listen through a variety of ear buds/headphones $20-$350 and on Definitive Technology BP2002's and a Yamaha receiver. Decent stuff but certainly not high-end. I call it affordable high-end.
    01-18-12 02:47 PM
    Does the playbook just pass through audio to HDMI? Whatever the format of file is going to be the format of the HDMI output? I couldn't imagine the PB would convert files before output but I just wanted to make sure. I'm looking for something to replace my Onkyo.
    01-18-12 03:34 PM
    If I could get optical or coax out of a Playbook I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    I'm looking for device similar to the HDMI2DVI from startech, now i just need to make sure that the signal stay in the digital domain inside the box.
    01-18-12 03:37 PM
    they are not planning to add an EQ to the player anytime soon. Michael Clewey tweeted.
    Maybe theres potential for an app to be developed
    01-18-12 04:16 PM
    If AAC is lossy, I don't see how the claim can be "identical to .wav". I can normally tell the difference with MP3's encoded at 320kbps. The dynamic range just isn't there. The cymbals don't sound natural or...well most of the spectrum doesn't sound natural. I listen through a variety of ear buds/headphones $20-$350 and on Definitive Technology BP2002's and a Yamaha receiver. Decent stuff but certainly not high-end. I call it affordable high-end.
    There's no way it can be "identical" as the AAC codec removes audio during the compression process, same as MP3. I suspect the paper was talking about how it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between AAC @ 128kbps and the original source. AAC is an excellent lossy codec and does a fantastic job of creating a great sounding portable audio file.

I'm sure there are audiophile's that can pick up the very subtle differences between high bit rate encoded AAC/MP3 files vs the original source via blind ABX testing. I'm not one of those, I can assure you that.

I use EAC ripped, LAME encoded MP3's for all my digital audio as I can't tell the difference on my equipment between the MP3 and the FLAC source.

EAC: Exact Audio Copy

LAME MP3: LAME MP3 Encoder

�berStandard configuration: UberStandard.org :: �ber Music Extraction Guide

BestMP3Guide: http://www.bestmp3guide.com/

FLAC support on the PB would be a nice thing to have for those that want lossless audio "on the go".
    Omahahaha likes this.
    01-18-12 04:57 PM
    Maybe theres potential for an app to be developed
    Wanting EQ usually means your Headphones/Audio Equipment isn't to your liking.
    01-18-12 05:01 PM
    Wanting EQ usually means your Headphones/Audio Equipment isn't to your liking.
    I agree....there are many links in the chain in the experience
    01-18-12 05:05 PM
    Im right there with you. If digital cables werent so finicky, I'd try splicing that with the hdmi.
    01-18-12 11:18 PM
    Just don't knock your Playbook off whatever its resting on while the cable is plugged in. I did that and now my HDMI port is barely functional. Basically not functional. So pissed!

Since we are on the subject of using the Playbook as a media storage device for high quality needs, when do car stereos get HDMI ports...? =D
    Very creative idea and I think this will come soon. Users/owners can just add a screen/monitor of their choice and save $$$$$

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-12 12:31 AM
    Definitely nice speakers for a tablet, but being a reluctant audiophole, until Flac support and an equalizer app, I don't do music and definitely don't do mp3s on mine.
    01-19-12 01:26 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD