No, im not talking about the headphone port(It's fine though). Hooking up the playbook to my denon with hdmi is beyond cool. I know you couldx do the same with a number of other devices, but playing .wav's of poets of the fall is surreal! Share your media expierences.
    Kingkracker likes this.
    01-17-12 01:46 PM
    Just don't knock your Playbook off whatever its resting on while the cable is plugged in. I did that and now my HDMI port is barely functional. Basically not functional. So pissed!

Since we are on the subject of using the Playbook as a media storage device for high quality needs, when do car stereos get HDMI ports...? =D
    01-17-12 01:48 PM
    I've done the same, connecting my pb to my Marantz hifi receiver/amp and played some sweet 320 kbps mp3 files that sound oh so good!!!
    O-Cilfa and sllock like this.
    01-17-12 01:56 PM
    @blacklac:Seriously! I would buy the first one!
    01-17-12 02:13 PM
    I too have been very pleasantly surprised. I've had the PB hooked up to my Onkyo 7.1 receiver, which in turn spits HD out to a 50" plasma. Sound is stunning & with HD content the picture quality isn't bad - even on such a big screen.

If RIM enable USB OTG (fingers crossed!!) I plan on transferring a load of films/music to USB sticks & using the Playbook as a media centre hooked up to the 19" HDTV in the caravan. I know my favourite caravan site has a wi-fi hotspot so if I'm in range I'll be able to get video on demand too!

HDMI in the car would be nice but I don't need it. My car has a USB port in the glovebox & the stereo will read audio files from phones, flash drives etc... I haven't plugged the PB in to it yet though.
    Last edited by RhayaderSax; 01-17-12 at 02:27 PM.
    O-Cilfa, bbfan1040 and Kingkracker like this.
    01-17-12 02:21 PM
    ....connect my PB to my Pioneer Elite VSX-53 - great video and audio. Would be nice to have the same level of integration that Pioneer provides for iPad/IOS devices though.
    Last edited by Slalom; 01-17-12 at 03:37 PM.
    house78 likes this.
    01-17-12 02:31 PM
    I for one have personally been lazy and not bought a Mini HDMI cable. BUT..I have a Blackberry bluetooth reciever connected to my Sony 5.1 Home Theatre System and by GOD... this baby blows quality sounsd through bluetooth. The clarity is impeccable! I was blown away by that. And I can have the PB more than 30 metres away and it still conncted to the bluetooth perfectly. I must say mybiphone and BB handset did not hold on that far. Awesome work RIM...
    CanadianThomas and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-17-12 03:47 PM
    Ugh. I wish more devices would start supported different kinds of extensions.
    .Wav is by far the biggest memory hog.

ALAC or FLAC would be nice.
    O-Cilfa and bquinney like this.
    01-17-12 04:13 PM

I had to convert my flac to .wav. I wish poweramp from android could be ported...
    01-17-12 05:01 PM
    What kind of audio player app are you using ? I have tried the stock one of course and its pretty good , although I haven't figured out how to move tunes up or down within the single playlist it allows ...

I upgraded to beta and tried winamp , which was quite buggy (not sure which version I tried) and it failed to read the meta-tags for the artists.

Can anyone recommend a working audio-player that has things like adjustable playlists , equalizer and possibly streaming audio capability ?

Thanks in advance.

Here's an example android music app that is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

Poweramp
    https://market.android.com/details?i...e=related_apps
    Last edited by aloon69; 01-17-12 at 05:38 PM.
    01-17-12 05:30 PM

This.

Any discussion involving the PlayBook and the term "audiophile" will need to include this. Lossless audio support would be sweet. No audiophile plays files encoded by a lossy codec.
    JazzL5, MrNutt, bquinney and 3 others like this.
    01-17-12 07:19 PM
    I thought the Playbook did support FLAC?
    01-17-12 07:23 PM
    we hook it up to the bosch jobsite radio. can charge at the usb port while hooking up a cable between the headphone/aux jack and playing music.
    esk369 likes this.
    01-17-12 07:34 PM
    I too would be surprised if it didn't. I can play FLACs just fine on my 9780...
    01-17-12 08:04 PM
    Hard to imagine it wouldn't support FLAC if the phones do.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    01-17-12 08:14 PM
    Is there any way to connect the PB to car radio using a wireless connector? My 2005 has no fancy connectors!

johnreid
    01-17-12 08:20 PM
    It does not. Not sure if that's a QNX thing or what. Maybe in OS2?
    01-17-12 08:50 PM
    I too would be surprised if it didn't. I can play FLACs just fine on my 9780...
    Hard to imagine it wouldn't support FLAC if the phones do.
    It does not support FLAC
    Audio playback: MP3, AAC, WMA
    Thats it.
    01-17-12 09:15 PM
    Mine sounds really good through my vintage Onkyo system. I too would like a better player. Don't get me wrong. The stock player is fine, but it's a bit bare bones.
    O-Cilfa likes this.
    01-17-12 09:18 PM
    I've been using Vevo over hdmi and I love it.. it does get a bit buggy, but the vids load so fast it's reloaded in no time.
    01-17-12 09:24 PM
    So far haven't been able to get my Onkyo TX-8050 network stereo receiver to read my Playbook's music files via USB connection.
    01-17-12 09:27 PM
    Shakajam, how do you get the PB to transmit audio over bluetooth? I didn't think that functionality was supported yet. Or are you using OS 2.0?
    01-17-12 09:35 PM
    IMHO I would expect nothing but an industry leading mulimedia experience by BB 10, if not sooner. Explore the following link below and have a better understanding as to why your ears.......and eyes are exploring so much multimedia pleasure. I for one was blown away by the multimedia experience on PB , powered by QNX. More and more QNX intergration on the horizons IMHO ofcourse.

Multimedia and Acoustics
    01-17-12 09:48 PM
    @blacklac:Seriously! I would buy the first one!
    My minivan has an HDMI port, but I doubt you'd want to go get a minivan

I actually do use my Playbook in the minivan. I also use A2DP in the minivan if all I want to do is listen to music.
    O-Cilfa likes this.
    01-17-12 11:07 PM
    Shakajam, how do you get the PB to transmit audio over bluetooth? I didn't think that functionality was supported yet. Or are you using OS 2.0?
    A2DP (bluetooth stereo audio) is in the latest 2.0 developer version.
    01-17-12 11:09 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD