Ive trying to record some basic home video's with my PlayBook (2 different PlayBooks actually), but while the video quality is great, the audio quality on both is terrible. The voices sounds really muffled. Ive tried taking the video's up closer, but its only a marginal improvement. Unrelated to this thread, Ive tried on my 9900 as well with similar results. How do I improve my audio quality?
    09-20-11 07:19 AM
    Yes, make sure the people in your video speak slowly and loudly in the direction of your tablet. lol.

On a serious note though, I don't think so - the Playbook doesn't support an external microphone of any kind, so AFAIK there isn't much you can do... make sure your hand isn't covering the microphone is about the only thing I could imagine distorting your sound quality.
    09-20-11 07:29 AM
    I'm pretty happy with my PB's audio recording. The only issues I have is outside in a windy day. Could you post a sample of what your audio sounds like? It might be a hardware problem.

Also are you using a case? If so check to make sure it isn't blocking the holes for the mics.
    09-20-11 07:45 AM
    I'm pretty happy with my PB's audio recording. The only issues I have is outside in a windy day. Could you post a sample of what your audio sounds like? It might be a hardware problem.

Also are you using a case? If so check to make sure it isn't blocking the holes for the mics.
    Good advice. I've never had a problem in a noisy environment. Wind is a problem though.
    Some guy recorded a band on stage and the video and audio were amazing. Sorry I can't add anything more to berryboba's comment other than there are two mics on the top corners.

In fact the audio recording for me is excellent and I do have experience to back that up

The audio is just so clear on mine.
    Sorry for your problem
    09-20-11 08:10 AM
    ... the Playbook doesn't support an external microphone of any kind, so AFAIK there isn't much you can do...
    I'm not sure that's correct.

There was a post in the support forums where a developer reported that the "headphone / microphone set from my Bold 9780 records sound to my app".
    09-20-11 08:22 AM
    The PlayBook supports an external mic. I plugged in the standard headset that came with my BlackBerry phone, and it works just fine. Here's a sample I recorded, tapping on the mic in the headset, then the mic on the device. You'll notice when I'm tapping on the headset.

I used Voice Notes on the PlayBook for the test.

Another thing I noticed while doing this, is if the device goes into standby, when I wake it up it no longer uses mic on the headset, only the built in mic. I have to unplug the headset and plug it back in.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-20-11 08:54 AM
    i love record videos with my pb, hd video quality and sound is pretty good.
    about the pro microphone it should be a bluetooth one...
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    09-20-11 11:46 AM
    IMO, it records audio very well. Here's a sample video I shot this summer. You can hear some wind noise but it was pretty breezy as you can see. I also had it in a Casemate POP case.

JR A likes this.
    09-20-11 12:01 PM
    One thing I learned the hard way is that there are 2 mics on the playbook on each side of the volume rocker. I had a skin on my playbook and it sounded muffled and that's because I only uncovered one of the mics. I now have a case that doesn't cover either of the mics and recordings are great. I actually recorded a conference in a music hall this weekend and the recordings sound as though I'm in a small room....using the voice notes app native to Playbook.

Hope this helps!
    09-20-11 12:17 PM
    I've had nothing but success with both the audio and video

09-20-11 12:36 PM
    The PlayBook supports an external mic. I plugged in the standard headset that came with my BlackBerry phone, and it works just fine. Here's a sample I recorded, tapping on the mic in the headset, then the mic on the device. You'll notice when I'm tapping on the headset.

I used Voice Notes on the PlayBook for the test.

Another thing I noticed while doing this, is if the device goes into standby, when I wake it up it no longer uses mic on the headset, only the built in mic. I have to unplug the headset and plug it back in.
    What?? really? I had no idea I thought it was just a headphone output. Awesome thanks for that! But what about stereo? The PB has TWO mics, no?
    09-20-11 12:58 PM
    Ive trying to record some basic home video's with my PlayBook (2 different PlayBooks actually), but while the video quality is great, the audio quality on both is terrible. The voices sounds really muffled. Ive tried taking the video's up closer, but its only a marginal improvement. Unrelated to this thread, Ive tried on my 9900 as well with similar results. How do I improve my audio quality?
    Have you tried taking it out of the Otterbox? lol

I am extremely impressed with the audio quality there is something wrong with yours, or maybe stop carrying it around in a pillow?
    09-20-11 12:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD