Not sure if this is normal but my 16GB finally arrived from shopblackberry.com and the playbook box had no shrink wrap or with factory seal. The Playbook looks brand new with the protective screen cover still intact. Is this normal? I didn't pay for a refurbished model. Also would this have anything to do with forcing the update with dingle berry fix?
    12-06-11 05:40 PM
    My Playbooks have come with two rectangular clear plastic seals about an inch wide on either end of the inner box. They don't come off without tearing the black paper of the box, so if there is no sign of removed seals, they just may not have been there in the first place. The two I ordered from ShopBlackberry have not arrived yet, so I cannot confirm if there are any seals on them.

It is not that clear how much of the logistics Globalwave is doing at ShopBlackberry. It is conceivable that they may even be taking the raw playbooks, shipped directly from the factory and then fitting them with accessories, manuals and packaging according to the destination market. The ShopBlackberry web portal seems to support shopping for many countries around the world and it makes sense that they may deal with the final packaging.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-06-11 at 05:52 PM.
    12-06-11 05:48 PM
    I believe this is normal as neither of mine has come with shrink wrap on them - one from Best Buy and the other Office Depot.

Does it smell new?
    12-06-11 05:49 PM
    My playbook didn't have shrinkwrap. It just had the 2 seals on it.
    12-06-11 05:50 PM
    It's normal. It looks weird, but don't worry. No shrinkwrap. Only 2 seals - top and bottom rectangular stickers. If you try to peel them off, they will show the word, "security," all over.
    12-06-11 05:55 PM
    Is there some place on the PB to check the total usage time?

You know, like on your BB handset, you can check total lifetime minutes used...?

Maybe I'm mistaken.
    12-06-11 06:02 PM
    well.. there�s an app that tells you the recharge count.
    12-06-11 06:12 PM
    Of course it doesn't come with shrink wrap. Haven't you heard? RIM has gone green, and it has nothing to do with their stock value.
    12-06-11 06:23 PM
    concur with post #2
    12-06-11 06:32 PM
    It probably has nothing to do with the new upgrade... dunno why you or anyone is calling it forced. They don't force the upgrade on you any more than any previous upgrade. You can ignore it if you choose.

On the other hand, you probably are forced to get it because you must update thru wifi every new pb.
    12-06-11 06:35 PM
    I bought one from Best Buy and one from Office Depot. Neither of them had shrink wrap. As long as your PB seems to be in good working order you should be good to go.

Enjoy your new Playbook.
    12-06-11 06:45 PM
    Thanks everyone for responding! Glad there is nothing wrong with it. Excited to finally set it up tonight. Been the longest two weeks waiting for this playbook to arrive lol. Happy to say goodbye to my ipad!
    12-06-11 06:52 PM
    Thanks everyone for responding! Glad there is nothing wrong with it. Excited to finally set it up tonight. Been the longest two weeks waiting for this playbook to arrive lol. Happy to say goodbye to my ipad!
    if ur saying goodbye to that ipad and wanna trade let me know
    12-06-11 07:33 PM
    Mine just arrived today. It had no seals whatsoever. The two rectangular clear plastic seals on the box weren't there. Not very reassuring for a supposedly brand new unit.
    12-09-11 05:35 PM
    Mine just arrived today. It had no seals whatsoever. The two rectangular clear plastic seals on the box weren't there. Not very reassuring for a supposedly brand new unit.
    Did it have signs of the stickers having been peeled off or just missing completely, like they were never there in the first place?
    12-09-11 05:58 PM
    I can't see any signs of the stickers being peeled off. Maybe they weren't there to begin with. But the box not being sealed when others are receiving them sealed makes me wonder if it was a return or a refurbished unit.
    12-09-11 06:17 PM
    the nerd at office depot that sold me mine almost dropped it because the inner box slid out of the outer cover sleve, no shrink wrap
    12-09-11 06:33 PM
    No shrink wrap = situation normal.
    12-09-11 07:17 PM
    the nerd at office depot that sold me mine almost dropped it because the inner box slid out of the outer cover sleve, no shrink wrap
    Shrink wrap just generates more garbage. It would have prevented slippage at the store, but what happens after you unwrap it? It's a one time use and your inner and outer boxes will separate easily after that. Better the sales guy drop it than you at home after you've paid for it.

RIM should have just printed all the fancy graphics on the inner box and put two small seals at the ends.
    12-09-11 07:21 PM
    it should have a seal
    12-09-11 07:21 PM
    Ibought mine (32) at Bestbuy and there was no shrinkwrap..
    12-09-11 08:02 PM
    No shrink wrap = situation normal.
    Yes, but:
    Missing security seals at the ends = Not good
    12-09-11 08:34 PM
    Just to avoid confusion, I don't think anybody that has posted having seals on their boxes bought them from ShopBlackberry.

Has anybody that has bought a PlayBook from ShopBlackberry had seals on their box?
    12-10-11 12:13 PM
    Bought my first PB at Staples $249, didnt have shrink wrap (none do) but did have the security seals on two sides. My recent delivery fro shopcrackberry had no seals nor did it appear that it was peeled off either. UPC info label in Spanish designating "Region" as Latin America. Paid $189, no shipping, no taxes. Hoping it's the norm so I dont have to return. Won't keep a refurb at any price. Just getting someone elses problem.
    12-16-11 11:03 PM
    I bought two in separate orders from ShopBlackBerry.com. The 32GB unit had seals. The 16GB unit had no seals, and has a sticker on the back side of the case that appears to be a Mexican safety certification "NOM NYCE".

The 32GB had 6 recharges on the battery, which is probably not unusual. The 16GB had 0. Might be a refurb, but if it is they replaced the battery...
    12-16-11 11:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD