We have two 64 GB Playbooks. One works perfectly. The other one doesn't.

When an app is/apps are started it/they will work for a while but all eventually closes/close on it's/their own. The more you restart the app, the quicker it closes. We've done soft resets, hard resets, wiped the OS and re-installed it, sent it back to BlackBerry to be repaired (it looked like they only wiped/re-installed the OS). Still the same problem. Meanwhile, the other one works perfectly. The problem one has been sitting on the shelf 99.9999% of the time since we bought it. Both playbooks have been used by 2 people and they each experienced the same problems with the problem one.

Is there anyone out there who has experienced this problem and resolved it? We're frustrated.
    Last edited by East-West; 09-24-13 at 11:24 AM.
    09-24-13 11:12 AM
    Are both on the latest OS? Also are you using the OEM charger with the device in question? Or did you ever use a 3rd party charger?
    09-24-13 01:58 PM
    It sounds like you have done everything you can do to fix the problem. If it were me I would call BB and ask for a replacement. You can do the advance exchange that would guarantee you get a different unit. This assuming they are still playing nice with warranties.
    East-West likes this.
    09-24-13 02:25 PM
    Apps will cl ose wben available RAM gets low. Assume that you have checked to see if that is what is happening.
    09-24-13 03:32 PM
    Anything sideloaded on the "bad" one? Same apps on both? How much free space?

And maybe there is a hardware defect when stuff is loaded and running. Since they did not resolve the problem on the first go-around, give them another call on the issue.

Good luck
    09-24-13 03:44 PM
    After wiping your PB, did you perhaps restore from a backup?
    09-24-13 06:39 PM
    you can also debrick rather than just doing the OS based security wipe
    09-24-13 06:42 PM
    I have this problem with the browser now and then, also email and videos apps will close sometimes, but apart from that everything else seems ok. Not all that frequently but when it does it gives you the Tom Tits!!!
    09-25-13 04:12 AM
    If everything is identical on both units, it's a hardware issue. Try this. Hard reset. Check memory. Open browser. Check memory. Leave settings open and constantly check for ram leak. That is my guess. Since the problem seems to compound, I think something is keeping the ram and not releasing back to the pool.
    FF22 and East-West like this.
    09-25-13 05:56 AM
    Just a guess: Defective hardware (memory, CPU or other hw component)

Corrupted program code could cause the programs to crash/close.
    When the temperature rises after a while the problem happenes more and more and therefore you experience it more and more.

I suggest you send it in for repair. Explain clearly that you have two identical PB, tried reinstalling the OS and only one is misbehaving so you are suspecting a hardware problem.
    FF22 and East-West like this.
    09-25-13 06:16 AM
    If everything is identical on both units, it's a hardware issue. Try this. Hard reset. Check memory. Open browser. Check memory. Leave settings open and constantly check for ram leak. That is my guess. Since the problem seems to compound, I think something is keeping the ram and not releasing back to the pool.
    Hi canuck,

Your post is kind of inconsistent. I agree it's a HW issue.

The second part you wrote about checking memory is not about hardware, but about ressources. Checking memory is definitively not a bad thing, but I doubt OP will find any change here, since no apps can autostart, so memory leaks seems unlikely.

Leaving all the "tech" stuff out, a simple perspective is "It is not OK for a modern device to close an app without informing the user of the reason". If memory is low - tell the user.
    09-25-13 09:35 AM
    Both have the latest OS. Both have only used OEM chargers, never a 3rd party charger.
    09-25-13 10:00 AM
    Apps will cl ose wben available RAM gets low. Assume that you have checked to see if that is what is happening.
    We've checked that.
    09-25-13 10:01 AM
    After wiping your PB, did you perhaps restore from a backup?
    We did that. Actually restored the backup from the one that works fine to test. Still have same problems.
    09-25-13 10:04 AM