*Some questions that I want to clear up.

1.) So will all the apps now on the App World for the Playbook work on the BB10 OS when it does come out?

2.) Will all the apps on the App World for BB OS7 phones work on BB10 OS for the Playbook? If repackaged, will all the apps work too?

3.) Will BB10 still have Android Player embedded into the OS? Will you still have to repackage all the Android apps for it to work on BB10 OS for the Playbook?

4.) What are some differences between Playbook's OS 2.0 and BB10 OS other than Apps? Different UI?
    04-28-12 12:04 PM
    The playbook is getting bb10 so that answers question 1.
    I don't think so for number 2 but I'm not completely sure.
    Yes bb10 will have Android player although I hope for an option to disable it.
    Hopefully bb10 will be successful enough that devs will start building native apps instead of just porting Android. I'm looking at you Tapatalk
    04-28-12 12:33 PM
    1) Mostly yes. They'll need to be changed for the different screen size/resolution, but the apps won't need to be re-written.

2) There will be absolutely zero compatibility with BBOS apps.

3) The repackaging process is done to add code signing to the apps, an important security feature. Repackaging isn't ever going away. However, more and more Android apps will be available in App World rather than requiring sideloading.

4) No one outside RIM knows for sure, but consider BB10 to be the next version of the PB OS. We saw homescreen UI changes from 1.0 to 2.0 (panes, folders, removing the tabs, etc) and I'm sure BB10 will have more. What they are and how significant is unanswered.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-28-12 02:56 PM
    I agree with the above posts.

Namely, all existing PB apps should work on BB10. Think of the PB as a "developing platform" released 1.5 years before BB10 phones to allow a significant app store to develop that will give BB10 phones a large app selection right from the start. Other than some extra functions (like phone features and stuff on BB10 which are new) most apps will work.

However, BB10 apps that need to use a phone function will obviously not work on the PB which has no phone. I am sure these apps will be unavailable to download to PB so you would never know, they just won't show up in the appstore. But the BB10 phone should have all the PB apps from day one... and at least all the hardware the PB has... dual camera, GPS, microphone, accelerometers, compass, etc... so every existing PB app should run no problem.

Maybe even the same resolution 1024x600 but on a smaller screen. Some apps will have buttons and controls too small to use, they may need a bit of tweaking by the dev. For example, those EA games with the finger touch controllers may be too small. Also a BB10 will have a vibrator and not PB so a few more options available for a dev.

I have written a few PB apps but when BB10 comes out, there will probably be a simulator, and I will have to resubmit a version for BB10. I won't have to rewrite it totally, but if my app looks too small on the screen, I'll have to resize/format things to accomodate and make it easier for the user.

That's why people are going to Blackberry World conference to get their hands on the ALPHA's and start testing their apps on the smaller screen.

Android player likely will be there because it helps app availability. OS7 is unlikely to work on BB10 although you never know... they may add something like "OS5 to OS7 player" since it can run lightning fast over a QNX kernel. That would be awesome so people can keep all their older apps.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    04-28-12 03:31 PM
    They are not going to have a J2ME player in BB10 that allows you to run old BBOS apps. All playbook os2.0 apps will work on bb10, although the developers will likely need to make some tweaks in view of the smaller screen (that's what the developer development alpha devices are for)....
    04-28-12 03:54 PM
    More specifically, and to the OP's question(s), will BB10 OS be offered as an OS upgrade to current PB's?
    04-28-12 04:01 PM
    Yes. RIM has said so quite a few times publicly already.
    04-28-12 04:51 PM
    Yes. RIM has said so quite a few times publicly already.
    Not so sure about this. I think I remember RIM saying 2.0 would be free. But I don't recall any statement about the BB10 upgrade.
    04-28-12 05:08 PM
    Won't BB10 be built for more featured hardware?

So my guess is that OS2 update will include as much of BB10 as possible.

And, new PB will have some different hardware too that requires additional software features.

I think it will be a win win for most of us as well as a good time to upgrade!

My PB expects to be useful for some time.
    04-28-12 06:53 PM
    Can anyone decipher Alec Saunders' tweet from this morning?

Twitter

@superfly_FR BB10 releade for #playbook will shortly

Nevermind he pressed 'd' instead of 's', it seems he's indicating BB10 for the PlayBook would be released before the smartphones. If that's the case, they might figure PlayBook owners will jump at the chance to try it out and help figure out any kinks with the software before the most important product launch in RIM history. I don't mind beta testing

Anyone use Twitter that can confirm with Alec?
    05-04-12 10:40 AM
    Nevermind he pressed 'd' instead of 's', it seems he's indicating BB10 for the PlayBook would be released before the smartphones.
    He actually clarified himself in a later tweet to say that the PB version would follow the release of the phones.... Positive news either way.
    TheScionicMan and JRonin like this.
    05-04-12 11:02 AM
    He actually clarified himself in a later tweet to say that the PB version would follow the release of the phones.... Positive news either way.
    Got it, thanks.
    05-04-12 11:12 AM
    I have a follow up question ... will apps purchased for the playbook be automatically usable on blackberry 10... so you purchase it once and it works on both? Or, if a developer submits a blackberry 10 version, will there be separate areas in the store for phone and pb apps so we'll need to purchase a separate phone version.
    08-31-12 01:47 PM
    I have a follow up question ... will apps purchased for the playbook be automatically usable on blackberry 10... so you purchase it once and it works on both? Or, if a developer submits a blackberry 10 version, will there be separate areas in the store for phone and pb apps so we'll need to purchase a separate phone version.
    I presume details like that will have to be worked out. Will there be separate versions for the larger screen or smaller screen? One version that adjusts? I am hoping that old apps will work under bb10 but on occasion, an app has even been "broken" by a more simple OS update.
    08-31-12 03:25 PM
    I presume details like that will have to be worked out. Will there be separate versions for the larger screen or smaller screen? One version that adjusts? I am hoping that old apps will work under bb10 but on occasion, an app has even been "broken" by a more simple OS update.
    Since they are going to be the same OS and same screen resolutions (1024x768), PlayBook apps "should" run on the BB10 phones without issue.
    08-31-12 05:09 PM
    Since they are going to be the same OS and same screen resolutions (1024x768), PlayBook apps "should" run on the BB10 phones without issue.
    Actually the first BB10 phones will be 1280x768, same as the Dev Alpha.

All subsequent ones (at least for the foreseeable future?) will be 1280x720 and 720x720.

See Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog for more.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    08-31-12 05:21 PM
    Do not forget the REAL keyboard bb10 devices which will most likely have a different screen resolution (although, there are probably days when rim would like to forget the keyboard models to simplify things).

I see Peter got here first.
    08-31-12 06:42 PM
    Not so sure about this. I think I remember RIM saying 2.0 would be free. But I don't recall any statement about the BB10 upgrade.
    They said the PlayBook will get BB10 plenty of times. On many media outlets. Site back and wait for awesomeness.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-31-12 at 07:13 PM.
    08-31-12 07:08 PM
    Actually the first BB10 phones will be 1280x768, same as the Dev Alpha.

All subsequent ones (at least for the foreseeable future?) will be 1280x720 and 720x720.

See Standardizing on Screen Resolutions for BlackBerry 10 devices �BlackBerry Developer Blog for more.
    That's what I meant. But I forgot about the keyboard phones with their dinky screens.
    08-31-12 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD