Is it me, or is it wrong to completely not give a stuff how many of the general population know / care about the existence of the PlayBook? So long as the vendor support remains, and there's sufficient user audience to provide knowledgable, fine forums such as this, I couldn't care less whether other people know.

I suppose I have a slightly vested interest in the PlayBook selling sufficient - well I suppose RIM products in general, such that they keep afloat, developing and supporting the PlayBook, but other than that, I'm completely uninterested in general validation of my choices. Maybe misanthropy is a dirty word...
    11-08-12 09:50 AM
    Around the world, statistics professors are groaning at your statement. "99% of human kind doesn't know about the PlayBook because I had a house party with my select group of friends and none of them knew RIM had a tablet."
    I am neither a statistics professor nor have great knowledge on statistics to make statistically correct statements. I am a techie and so were the people around in that party. Each of them owned multiple PCs, multiple smartphones and at least one tablet. So, to me it was a surprise that they never heard of the PlayBook.

If anyone is offended with my statement, I regret it. Probably, the statistics professors can now stop groaning and get back to teaching statistics.....
    11-08-12 10:46 AM
    I am neither a statistics professor nor have great knowledge on statistics to make statistically correct statements. I am a techie and so were the people around in that party. Each of them owned multiple PCs, multiple smartphones and at least one tablet. So, to me it was a surprise that they never heard of the PlayBook.

If anyone is offended with my statement, I regret it. Probably, the statistics professors can now stop groaning and get back to teaching statistics.....
    LOL! Well I am in my spare time a statistics tutor, and while I find the almost universally erroneous interpretation of statistics (here, on the net, in the media) offensive, I didn't find yours upsetting at all. I doubted you were authentically representing that as a properly controlled sample, and somehow...just somehow...I have the feeling the percentages were made up to convey a general point ;-)
    Sriman likes this.
    11-08-12 06:34 PM
    Really? Every other one on the planet?
    LOL! Somebody is feeling very literal today ;-)
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-08-12 06:37 PM
    [QUOTE=RubberChicken76;7718437]Around the world, statistics professors are groaning at your statement. "99% of human kind doesn't know about the PlayBook because I had a house party with my select group of friends and none of them knew RIM had a tablet."[/QUOTE

Yeh, rounded, its 100%.
    11-08-12 07:09 PM
    Apple and Samsung spend more on marketing than anyone else. That's what works.
    It's not just about spending money. They also get ads out that work.
    11-08-12 07:23 PM
    Confused by having to need an Apple product "serviced"..... everyone knows that any issue someone has with an Apple is a "user" issue not Apple's.....
    11-08-12 07:28 PM
    It's not just about spending money. They also get ads out that work.
    I agree, but sometimes, as with Samsang and Apple, it just takes flooding the media with their ads. Getting the name out there as much as possible goes a long way in getting people to think it's popular.
    11-08-12 08:26 PM
    I agree, but sometimes, as with Samsang and Apple, it just takes flooding the media with their ads. Getting the name out there as much as possible goes a long way in getting people to think it's popular.
    Right on the nail there.
    11-08-12 08:45 PM
    I'm afraid by the time I can get rid of my iPhone. BB12 will be out ;-)
    I had to laugh at my first thought when I read this. It went, "Actually, BB10 should be right around the corner by then..."
    11-08-12 08:45 PM
    need a wingman ?
    11-08-12 09:37 PM
    LOL! Somebody is feeling very literal today ;-)
    Naw. Just amused by sweeping statements of some posters and/or facts pulled out of butts.
    11-09-12 08:49 AM
    Apple's ads were tutorials, which is actually quite clever. Because after someone sees an ad, they kind of know how to use the device. A lot of ads just talk about the device, but not anything it can do (Microsoft's Surface dancers for instance). Samsung's 'The Next Big Thing is Already Here' ads also showed how you could do things with the device as well (for the SII in particular, I recall them demoing speech recognition). Nokia incidentally got that right with the N9 as well (not their 9 second ads, but the swipe.nokia.com website), anyone who had been to the website found it was a great and intuitive device, while some people trying it out cold without having been there found it frustrating and unintuitive.

It's rather baffling that more companies don't go with that style.
    11-09-12 02:58 PM
    Apple's ads were tutorials, which is actually quite clever. Because after someone sees an ad, they kind of know how to use the device. A lot of ads just talk about the device, but not anything it can do (Microsoft's Surface dancers for instance). Samsung's 'The Next Big Thing is Already Here' ads also showed how you could do things with the device as well (for the SII in particular, I recall them demoing speech recognition). Nokia incidentally got that right with the N9 as well (not their 9 second ads, but the swipe.nokia.com website), anyone who had been to the website found it was a great and intuitive device, while some people trying it out cold without having been there found it frustrating and unintuitive.

yesterday I found N9 and try it. what nokia said as swipe is totally different than what we can find in bb10. I know that, because i already taste bb10ad too. not even close. IMHO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9020 using Tapatalk
    11-10-12 06:21 PM
    She liked the feel and slickness?? OP are you writing a story for Penthouse because this didn't happen.
    11-10-12 06:29 PM

I have been feeling the same way regarding the Surface ads. So what can it do? I have no idea from watching the ads so not impressed. Apple had it right. Simple and show what it can do. Those ads were a large part of their success.
    11-10-12 06:33 PM
    I have been feeling the same way regarding the Surface ads. So what can it do? I have no idea from watching the ads so not impressed. Apple had it right. Simple and show what it can do. Those ads were a large part of their success.
    that's kind of ironic, because for years I would see those mac vs pc commercials and I had no idea what macs even looked like or what they could do.
    11-10-12 07:05 PM
    Some people just like tech and variety and can see pros and cons in everything. Wish there were more of those and less rampant fanboys
    How dare you talk about me that way?!
    11-10-12 07:32 PM
68 123