Curious, i turn on my htc desire hotspot wifi, then pair it with Pb. One password, then it went on. The speed is good, no issue with connect disconnect at all.
    The desire runs android froyo, standard.
    Any of you guys compare tethering speed between different method? Using wifi portable modem? Tethering? Android pdanet?
    05-28-11 05:15 AM
    I compared it while I had my PB. I used a blackberry 9780 over Bluetooth and an HD2 running android (desire HD rom) with wifi hotspot. I tried bridge browser (painfully slow and buggy browsing, PIM worked perfectly though), Bluetooth tethering (browsing was faster and more reliable yet not much faster than 2g) and wifi tether with android (full 3G speed browsing, by far the best). It's my understanding that bb7 will include a wifi hotspot feature which will hopefully work as well as the android feature, I'm hoping that the bridge will also work over wifi at some point to get a speed boost, we'll see as I intend to get another playbook in the future if these features arrive.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 06:37 AM
    I also tethering with my nexus one, but obviously the speed is much faster when connected to a 'real' wifi hotspot
    05-28-11 06:45 AM
    Hd2? i use to have with wm 6.5. Nexus one got same innards as desire, i believe.so if people tether with bb phone, can they use wifi hotspot as well? I dont even know if my torch can do it.
    But the tethering option at pb is a bluetooth isnt it? So the tethering speed wouldnt be much difference from bridging?
    05-28-11 07:35 AM
    Yes, my HD2 doesn't have windows mobile anymore, it's purely android. I'm using a desire hd rom at the moment but it's a bit bloated, I primarily use cyanogenmod 2.3. The HD2 is a perfect android platform, the US version has 1gig ram and 1gig rom so its butter smooth.

Hd2? i use to have with wm 6.5. Nexus one got same innards as desire, i believe.so if people tether with bb phone, can they use wifi hotspot as well? I dont even know if my torch can do it.
    But the tethering option at pb is a bluetooth isnt it? So the tethering speed wouldnt be much difference from bridging?
    05-28-11 07:40 AM
    Oh. I give it to my brother last year while it is still rumoured will get android root.
    Back to bb, can i use my bb torch as wifi hotspot? If no, Carrier cost aside, tethering thru my torch will be bluetooth limited, correct?
    05-28-11 07:44 AM
    Current berries don't have wifi tethering, I've never found an app that will do it either. Blackberry 7 will supposedly have the feature but that'll require buying a new blackberry when they're released. All you can do at the moment is Bluetooth tethering.

Oh. I give it to my brother last year while it is still rumoured will get android root.
    Back to bb, can i use my bb torch as wifi hotspot? If no, Carrier cost aside, tethering thru my torch will be bluetooth limited, correct?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 07:49 AM
    so I have tried tethering to my htc inspire, bb 9800, bb 9700 and they all function but its not the greatest speeds largely due to through put limitations of bluetooth IMO.

I routinely set my htc as wifi hotspot and connect to it with my PB and it works great... however note that battery life on the htc goes in the tank...

PG
    05-28-11 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD