I don't know about you, but I didn't opt for the easy "fix" and has been vocal on both this forum (which I suspect is possibly monitored by folks at RIM) and the Blackberry Beta Zone. I at least made RIM aware of the shortcomings that they can address (e.g. the browser crashes that plagued OS 2.0) and didn't simply quit as I do like my Playbook and I want it to become a better device, which it can.

And, if you think they know about all the shortcomings and there is no need to inform them, I invite you to visit the Beta Zones and browse through some of the threads in the PB Feature Requests and you'll see that sometimes RIM officials don't even know a certain requested features even exists on other platforms (including BBOS).
    I am a member in the Beta Zone. That is much better place(as you know) to address issues.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-14-12 04:11 PM
    My research told me that with the new OS 2 update, there would be a huge selection of apps.

Its great that it works and fits your needs, but it also has its hits and misses. The OP stated very valid ones.
    Only miss i have had is the lack of being able to text thru the bridge. I keep reading in most forums abt lack of apps. I have looked at the apps avail to see if any suited the needs that i wanted. I did not like the apps avail from other suppliers and found the the hardware and software for the BB PB to be just what i wanted. There are a lot of silent BB users out here that use the equipment as a work tool. The BB PB along with the BB system and the security it provides is outstanding and suits our needs quite well.
    Obviously others want more in the way of games etc and do not use their BB equipment as a work tool. So once again Research is the name of the game and get what you need. If BB will not fit for lack of Apps ask for the app you want. If that doesnt work go to the product that will give you. What you want.
    06-14-12 05:47 PM
    This is a debate that's been had on this forum dozens of times, but the OP's making a valid point. A lack of functionality is more frustrating from an otherwise great device. And maybe by posting here we can give RIM the free consumer research it needs for the PB to start measuring up.

Personally I'd tell RIM that if it wants us to rely on the browser instead of apps then it needs to enable bookmark sorting and renaming, and have the browser render pages with a more touch-friendly UI. Make functions feel less like workarounds. Emulate the seamlessness integration of a BB phone. In the meantime the OP is making a fair comment and even diehard BB fans have a right to be frustrated. Don't you think?

I have about 20 sideloaded apps and games but I hardly use them because the Android app player constantly freezes and crashes.

I though the developers themselves would port the apps to App World, but no. We have to sideload them ourselves. That really sucks.

I have these cool dual cameras that I have yet to use for video chatting because I can currently only talk to other Playbooks. The video chat feature is basically BBM for Playbooks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-14-12 05:54 PM
    Seems like people are researching, no one is buying PlayBooks because there are no apps that every other tablet has that people need and want.

And what people don't seem to understand is that RIM could just give up the tablet game due to it not selling ue to lack of apps. And then all us BB fans will have to go other routes to get tablets.

So in my eyes it's better to keep constantly harping everywhere until RIM wakes up and gets the apps that will make the PB sell... So it actually has a future, ya know?..
    Obviously looks like a lot of money can be made here for a developer.

I think what is needed is for the good BB folks to be a little more clear as say what kind of apps they want. To get down on BB about saying your products suck because it has no apps is self defeating.

I dont know is there a thread on this site for people can post for the developers what kind of apps they want. Would that not make more sense that just saying a productsucks because it has no apps.

I was shocked to see that one supplier had 500K apps. Wow. Who has the time or money to look at all of them let alone buy all of them. The equipment we have is nowhere big enough to load them all..... Just saying
    06-14-12 06:07 PM
    i guess you missed this part in the "Show Press Release (thats from RIM)" on their site:
    But does it say which ones work, like specifically the ones you expected to work? No it just says a range of android apps. Not even a range of popular android apps just a range of android apps. That could have been 10 apps. A range from 1-10. And still they would have delivered upon that press release because that is a range of apps.
    06-15-12 01:08 AM
    But does it say which ones work, like specifically the ones you expected to work? No it just says a range of android apps. Not even a range of popular android apps just a range of android apps. That could have been 10 apps. A range from 1-10. And still they would have delivered upon that press release because that is a range of apps.
    A lot of people bought Playbook because of the "promise" of running most Android applications on playbook. It's not a little bonus, it is a strategy RIM used to bring more apps to Playbook, which in my opinion failed miserably so far. Yes, it brought zillions of apps, but most are garbage in App world. Only those that are side loaded are worthwhile.

Either way, the Android play isn't stable enough or resource efficient to stay stable and effective. I've given up on most Android apps on Playbook by now, especially after 2.1 update which killed some useful apps such as Battery monitor.

The "range" you're talking about just means out of all the apps added to App World, some are Android apps, that's all.

Of course, RIM surely would wanted to have those popular apps made available on App World. For whaterver reason, they never show up there.

Again, this is not a bonus feature. It is supposed to be the main feature of Playbook.
    06-15-12 08:46 AM
    A lot of people bought Playbook because of the "promise" of running most Android applications on playbook. It's not a little bonus, it is a strategy RIM used to bring more apps to Playbook, which in my opinion failed miserably so far. Yes, it brought zillions of apps, but most are garbage in App world. Only those that are side loaded are worthwhile.

Either way, the Android play isn't stable enough or resource efficient to stay stable and effective. I've given up on most Android apps on Playbook by now, especially after 2.1 update which killed some useful apps such as Battery monitor.

The "range" you're talking about just means out of all the apps added to App World, some are Android apps, that's all.

Of course, RIM surely would wanted to have those popular apps made available on App World. For whaterver reason, they never show up there.

Again, this is not a bonus feature. It is supposed to be the main feature of Playbook.
    Really? The android player is the main feature? Maybe in some people's universe. The player may or may not turn out to be good. The player wasn't even a consideration for me. I think too many people saw a great tablet for cheap price hoping to turn it into an android that is better than the android offerings.

Hummm battery monitor, to each their own. So much more essential than the notification built in or just peeking at level.
    06-15-12 08:57 AM
    Sorry folks. The playbook is a great tablet, I love everything about it. But I find it just sits on my counter collecting dust because of the lack of apps.

No twitter? Are you kidding me?!?! IN 2012 what company makes a tablet with no official twitter?

Update: I have used plenty of tablets, none come anywhere close to the playbook's user interface. Everything is perfect about it, the colors they use, the details, everything. Amazing. I love the feel of the playbook, I love the back of it, the camera is amazing.

2 Things which have made me decide I no longer want to use this tablet.

1. LACK OF APPS. Period. Netflix,twitter, bloomberg, stock apps, etc. etc. And don't tell me to use the web browser, using the web browser for apps is a head ache. The twitter mobile site is really laggy, and slow. On top of that, don't tell me to load android apps on it, android apps are extremely laggy, glitchy, and constantly freeze.

2. BATTERY. Absolutely horrible! When I fully charge it to 100% and leave it on my table over the weekend, the battery slowly dies without me even using it!
    Something I do not think anyone has mentioned yet in this ongoing app discussion is the web browser. What I am actually referring to is the memory it takes to use it.

Having less apps is an issue for many, not myself so far, but the solution has been either web based or sideload. Both solutions tie up massive amounts of RAM and slow down the PB. Not significantly normally but it can happen.

So, yes apps do matter because a native runs faster and in a smaller footprint than a web based solution or a sideloaded app. That is the real problem with a lack of apps if you find it wanting.
    06-15-12 05:37 PM

Actually 2.1 Android is very stable. I do agree though that many apps need to be sideloaded as theybare not available directly.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    06-15-12 10:15 PM
    LOL I never left Kenny just don't always have something to say. And I have my moments. Sometimes long stretches of them. Depends on the day.

"I'm the immovable object, that dwells up in your project"
    troll troll troll
    06-15-12 10:36 PM
    121 Apps and counting ....... Running out of Space though -__-. I can live without Skype or NetFlix, I got a pretty awesome FLASH player .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry Forum App
    06-16-12 12:56 AM
    I do agree with this post however I really do believe that where update 2.0 didn't deliver BB10 will not just make up for it but bring RIM back from the dead.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
    06-16-12 01:28 AM
    troll troll troll
    No just someone with something to say about the invalidity of your argument that the Playbook sucks because it lacks apps. The Playbook is awesome because of what it can do without apps.

Sidenote: You reported me for insulting you earlier in this thread. I don't know if this counts as insulting enough to be reported, but I don't really care. Gonna take the high road on this one and respect your basic human right to speak freely, even if it is to hurl (slight) insults.
    06-16-12 04:30 AM
238 ... 8910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD