If android apps are what you want why not buy an android?
    Like I've stated many times before. I have a Blackberry. I wanted to use the Playbook as an extension of the my phone. The fact that the Playbook had Blackberry Bridge AND could play Android apps, I thought i would have the best of both worlds.I thought since I have no fun, popular apps on my phone, I can finally have them on my Playbook. Along with the $199 price tag it was a steal.

If I could return it and get a Tab I would. But since I didnt pay much for it Ill probably keep it and get something else later.

I do use my Playbook for web browsing, Youtube videos, and playing Word With Friends using the sideloaded app.
    06-14-12 10:15 AM
    What is wrong that some of us thinks the PB is good, but has some flaws? (and dare to point that out) The minute we mention that, we are classified as 'haters' and are shown the middle finger . The point is it is fact that the PB is still behind iPad and Android.
    Yes, the PB has a lot of capability, but not everybody wants a 'Swiss Army knife' of a tablet. Many of us don't have time (or want to) do workarounds or sideloading or use developer code and files to accomplish what Apple and Android can do so easily by just downloading an app. As soon as you start fiddling with those stuff, your risk of making the tablet unstable, increases. I am not an expert techie, but also uses an iPad and Xoom and can talk about the end user experience. I just want a tablet to save me time and effort doing basic stuff when my computer is not around.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-14-12 at 01:32 PM.
    shemaree09 and chr1sg like this.
    06-14-12 10:38 AM
    New title. "Playbook is an amazing tablet - but, IMO, it sucks because of lack of apps."
    Chaddface likes this.
    06-14-12 11:18 AM
    I've long said that the PlayBook lacks a large deal of EVERYDAY apps that can be run on the web browser, but for all practicality should be in APP format. Now, having said that, I will say that I really like using Blaq. It runs really well & I love being able to manage multiple accounts easily.

I've given up on Netflix since I use Amazon prime more now, but I would LOVE to see a REAL Video Chat application that can take advantage of the awesome camera! Skype? Digsby? Audium? Face Time? MSN Messenger? Yahoo Messenger ?! Hello!!?!?!?!? Anyone of those would be fine. Also, a text application like Text 4 Free on the iPod Touch.

RIM is failing in this area because if they are expecting BB10 to save them, they will feel the pressure if Apple releases the 7" iPad & stops selling the iPod Touch... Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I love what my PlayBook can do for me... just wish it could do some more is all.

shemaree09 likes this.
    06-14-12 11:27 AM
    I use a tablet for Web browsing, media playback, GPS and games for children. The PB works great for those purposes. No fee tethering is a bonus.

My opinion that the PB is great is just as valid as an opinion that it sucks

I just don't understand the complaining. If a product doesn't perform the way you need it to then buy a different product. I guess some would rather complain about a situation rather then fix it.
    06-14-12 11:29 AM
    I can't comment on the topic but I have to express my deep admiration for the OP for posting how much he loves his new Android Tablet / iPad on the website for those brands. Oh wait...
    06-14-12 11:31 AM
    I've long said that the PlayBook lacks a large deal of EVERYDAY apps that can be run on the web browser, but for all practicality should be in APP format. Now, having said that, I will say that I really like using Blaq. It runs really well & I love being able to manage multiple accounts easily.

I've given up on Netflix since I use Amazon prime more now, but I would LOVE to see a REAL Video Chat application that can take advantage of the awesome camera! Skype? Digsby? Audium? Face Time? MSN Messenger? Yahoo Messenger ?! Hello!!?!?!?!? Anyone of those would be fine. Also, a text application like Text 4 Free on the iPod Touch.

RIM is failing in this area because if they are expecting BB10 to save them, they will feel the pressure if Apple releases the 7" iPad & stops selling the iPod Touch... Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I love what my PlayBook can do for me... just wish it could do some more is all.

I completely agree.

I like Blaq, but I wish we had more options. I would take a bigger version of Twitter for Blackberry lol. Blaq needs options to make the screen brighter (white background) and a image preview on the timeline.

I still cant figure out how to view my own profile without having to click one of my tweets on my timeline
    06-14-12 11:32 AM
    Love how people can make such opposing statments... either it is a great tablet or it is not!!! In the OP case it is obviously not.... everytine you say something is good but adds a but.... you do your statement in.... happens a lot around here I noticed.....
    06-14-12 11:39 AM
    If a product doesn't perform the way you need it to then buy a different product. I guess some would rather complain about a situation rather then fix it.
    Money is one of the factors! If I have 1 choice of 7" tablet, it will be the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus, but that is twice the price what I paid for my PB. So I will stick with the PB, hoping RIM will listen to our complaints and fix it. If we are not allowed to complain, how will RIM know what to improve? And if somebody would have been able to fix the Skype issue, don't you think they would have already? But it is a RIM and Skype issue. You and I cannot fix that.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 06-14-12 at 01:24 PM.
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-14-12 01:17 PM
    This is a debate that's been had on this forum dozens of times, but the OP's making a valid point. A lack of functionality is more frustrating from an otherwise great device. And maybe by posting here we can give RIM the free consumer research it needs for the PB to start measuring up.

Personally I'd tell RIM that if it wants us to rely on the browser instead of apps then it needs to enable bookmark sorting and renaming, and have the browser render pages with a more touch-friendly UI. Make functions feel less like workarounds. Emulate the seamlessness integration of a BB phone. In the meantime the OP is making a fair comment and even diehard BB fans have a right to be frustrated. Don't you think?
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-14-12 01:31 PM
    This is a debate that's been had on this forum dozens of times, but the OP's making a valid point. A lack of functionality is more frustrating from an otherwise great device. And maybe by posting here we can give RIM the free consumer research it needs for the PB to start measuring up.

Personally I'd tell RIM that if it wants us to rely on the browser instead of apps then it needs to enable bookmark sorting and renaming, and have the browser render pages with a more touch-friendly UI. Make functions feel less like workarounds. Emulate the seamlessness integration of a BB phone. In the meantime the OP is making a fair comment and even diehard BB fans have a right to be frustrated. Don't you think?
    I completely agree. I feel that its silly for people to make excuses and tell people to buy something else and stop complaining, when they've raised valid points.

I really hope RIM reads these boards, but I dont think they do lol. This forum provides soooo much info they could use but its like they're not listening.
    BearSnout, rcm1301 and Phylth like this.
    06-14-12 01:37 PM
    I completely agree. I feel that its silly for people to make excuses and tell people to buy something else and stop complaining, when they've raised valid points.

I really hope RIM reads these boards, but I dont think they do lol. This forum provides soooo much info they could use but its like they're not listening.
    I agree too. I love my PB. I still can't get the keyboard in the UK but I'll wait.

I love the 'tools not toys' tag and support it 100%. But all I ever see really is a new game for it. I didn't buy it as a games console.

Have really no idea about the contracts with people like Microsoft/Skype etc. and who is responsible for getting these apps to PB but really... I want office apps, like OneNote... Skype, Google Talk... I work online and travel and want to use my PC as a tool, not a toy.

I support RIM 100% - I also need to work in the real world where not everybody has a PB so want to communicate and work with them.
    06-14-12 01:47 PM
    Sorry folks. The playbook is a great tablet, I love everything about it. But I find it just sits on my counter collecting dust because of the lack of apps.

No twitter? Are you kidding me?!?! IN 2012 what company makes a tablet with no official twitter?

Update: I have used plenty of tablets, none come anywhere close to the playbook's user interface. Everything is perfect about it, the colors they use, the details, everything. Amazing. I love the feel of the playbook, I love the back of it, the camera is amazing.

2 Things which have made me decide I no longer want to use this tablet.

1. LACK OF APPS. Period. Netflix,twitter, bloomberg, stock apps, etc. etc. And don't tell me to use the web browser, using the web browser for apps is a head ache. The twitter mobile site is really laggy, and slow. On top of that, don't tell me to load android apps on it, android apps are extremely laggy, glitchy, and constantly freeze.

2. BATTERY. Absolutely horrible! When I fully charge it to 100% and leave it on my table over the weekend, the battery slowly dies without me even using it!
    I've been using twitter app for the last 6 months. (android version) works perfectly

Also keep in mind that there is a reason why we can get such great device for cheap,cheap money now. So yes I got playbook 64GB for $300 vs. ipad $800 and in return I give RIM time to build up app store. As far as i am concerned Playbook app store is just getting better and better. More and more quality apps. Surprisingly, despite Android player many developers create their ups in native QNX.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    Last edited by bitek; 06-14-12 at 01:53 PM.
    06-14-12 01:47 PM
    Money is one of the factors! If I have 1 choice of 7" tablet, it will be the Samsung Galaxy 7.0 Plus, but that is twice the price what I paid for my PB. So I will stick with the PB, hoping RIM will listen to our complaints and fix it. If we are not allowed to complain, how will RIM know what to improve? And if somebody would have been able to fix the Skype issue, don't you think they would have already? But it is a RIM and Skype issue. You and I cannot fix that.

By fixing the issue I was referring to buying a product that fits your needs.

I don't need to fix anything because I bought the tablet that works for my needs.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-14-12 02:15 PM
    Well said. I did same.

Name of the game is research, research then research. Buy what fits your needs. I totally love my PB with just the basics that it has coming out of the box.

It has an excellent way to use the features I have on my computer, I can use Word, Excel and PP, has Adobe Reader.

Basically said once again do your research and buy what fits your needs.
    Willard814 likes this.
    06-14-12 02:35 PM
    Well said. I did same.

Name of the game is research, research then research. Buy what fits your needs. I totally love my PB with just the basics that it has coming out of the box.

It has an excellent way to use the features I have on my computer, I can use Word, Excel and PP, has Adobe Reader.

My research told me that with the new OS 2 update, there would be a huge selection of apps.

Its great that it works and fits your needs, but it also has its hits and misses. The OP stated very valid ones.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-14-12 02:53 PM
    By fixing the issue I was referring to buying a product that fits your needs.

I don't need to fix anything because I bought the tablet that works for my needs.
    But at the same time, if people start fixing the problem in this fashion, there will no longer be the tablet that works for your needs
    rcm1301 likes this.
    06-14-12 02:53 PM
    Well said. I did same.

Seems like people are researching, no one is buying PlayBooks because there are no apps that every other tablet has that people need and want.

And what people don't seem to understand is that RIM could just give up the tablet game due to it not selling ue to lack of apps. And then all us BB fans will have to go other routes to get tablets.

So in my eyes it's better to keep constantly harping everywhere until RIM wakes up and gets the apps that will make the PB sell... So it actually has a future, ya know?..
    shemaree09 likes this.
    06-14-12 03:08 PM
    Multitasking, native apps, and browser performance make it worth the purchase alone, Imo, but I still need to switch tablets more often than I'd like. Everything should be fine when BB10 comes around, especially if Google releases their apps for it.
    06-14-12 03:27 PM
    But at the same time, if people start fixing the problem in this fashion, there will no longer be the tablet that works for your needs
    If RIM stopped supporting the PB today I would still have a tablet that fits my needs. If I see the prices drop any further I will buy another as a backup. That should last me a few years.

Sure there are things I would like to PB to do. Phone calls and texts with the bridge application are a couple. I just took a survey and asked RIM for those features. I could start endless threads on this forum about how the PB sucks without it but how would that help me?
    06-14-12 03:34 PM
    If RIM stopped supporting the PB today I would still have a tablet that fits my needs. If I see the prices drop any further I will buy another as a backup. That should last me a few years.

Sure there are things I would like to PB to do. Phone calls and texts with the bridge application are a couple. I just took a survey and asked RIM for those features. I could start endless threads on this forum about how the PB sucks without it but how would that help me?
    And when updates happen to the webpages you visit and RIM is no longer supporting the PB and it renders said sites incompatible, what are you going to do then? When they stop making bridge updates as there is no need anymore with no more playbooks anymore? What then? Going to use an ancient phone when there are new ones out 100x better then an old BB which as well will probably have support dropped on?..
    06-14-12 03:44 PM
    I didn't know good ereader was an official RIM mouthpiece. Guess I should get all of my BB news from them now, since they are apparently part of RIM and will know everything about the Playbook. Oh wait, they're not? Looks like ya got duped. Bad investigative practices on your part, wouldnt you say, believing something not direct from RIM about their own emulation program with no confirmation from them that it is true.
    06-14-12 03:47 PM
    And when updates happen to the webpages you visit and RIM is no longer supporting the PB and it renders said sites incompatible, what are you going to do then? When they stop making bridge updates as there is no need anymore with no more playbooks anymore? What then? Going to use an ancient phone when there are new ones out 100x better then an old BB which as well will probably have support dropped on?..
    Like I said, I'm good for a few years with what I have.
    I welcome any updates, I don't NEED them.
    06-14-12 03:50 PM

I don't know about you, but I didn't opt for the easy "fix" and has been vocal on both this forum (which I suspect is possibly monitored by folks at RIM) and the Blackberry Beta Zone. I at least made RIM aware of the shortcomings that they can address (e.g. the browser crashes that plagued OS 2.0) and didn't simply quit as I do like my Playbook and I want it to become a better device, which it can.

And, if you think they know about all the shortcomings and there is no need to inform them, I invite you to visit the Beta Zones and browse through some of the threads in the PB Feature Requests and you'll see that sometimes RIM officials don't even know a certain requested features even exists on other platforms (including BBOS).
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-14-12 at 04:03 PM.
    06-14-12 04:00 PM
    I didn't know good ereader was an official RIM mouthpiece. Guess I should get all of my BB news from them now, since they are apparently part of RIM and will know everything about the Playbook. Oh wait, they're not? Looks like ya got duped. Bad investigative practices on your part, wouldnt you say, believing something not direct from RIM about their own emulation program with no confirmation from them that it is true.
    i guess you missed this part in the "Show Press Release (thats from RIM)" on their site:

� New apps and content: Thousands of new apps are being added to BlackBerry App World� today (including a range of Android� apps that will run on the BlackBerry PlayBook). A new BlackBerry Video Store1 is launching today. Enhanced web browsing capabilities are also available with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0.
    06-14-12 04:04 PM
238 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD