Update: I have used plenty of tablets, none come anywhere close to the playbook's user interface. Everything is perfect about it, the colors they use, the details, everything. Amazing. I love the feel of the playbook, I love the back of it, the camera is amazing.

2 Things which have made me decide I no longer want to use this tablet.

1. LACK OF APPS. Period. Netflix,twitter, etc. etc. And don't tell me to use the web browser, using the web browser for apps is a head ache. The twitter mobile site is really laggy, and slow. On top of that, don't tell me to load android apps on it, android apps are extremely laggy, glitchy, and constantly freeze.

2. BATTERY. Absolutely horrible! When I fully charge it to 100% and leave it on my table over the weekend, the battery slowly dies without me even using it!
    06-13-12 09:49 PM
    Update: I have used plenty of tablets, none come anywhere close to the playbook's user interface. Everything is perfect about it, the colors they use, the details, everything. Amazing. I love the feel of the playbook, I love the back of it, the camera is amazing.

1. LACK OF APPS. Period. Netflix,twitter, etc. etc. And don't tell me to use the web browser, using the web browser for apps is a head ache. The twitter mobile site is really laggy, and slow. On top of that, don't tell me to load android apps on it, android apps are extremely laggy, glitchy, and constantly freeze.

2. BATTERY. Absolutely horrible! When I fully charge it to 100% and leave it on my table over the weekend, the battery slowly dies without me even using it!

I completely agree with you about the apps, but I have excellent battery life.

Because I rarely use my Playbook now, I leave it in my purse for 3-5 days untouched and its still alive.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-13-12 09:52 PM

Well let me be the first to say sayonara, good riddance, you're not worthy of this awesome device anyways. Troll.

F Apps. My browser is awesome and batteries die over time. Get over yourself and get the f on.
    bldshd likes this.
    06-14-12 12:32 AM
    Well let me be the first to say sayonara, good riddance, you're not worthy of this awesome device anyways. Troll.

F Apps. My browser is awesome and batteries die over time. Get over yourself and get the f on.

Hey Swap. Good to have you back. But I must say I don't remember you being so aggressive.
    06-14-12 01:06 AM
    Why do you need an official Twitter when you have BLAQ and the web.

Thank you. Blaq is pretty darned slick.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-14-12 01:35 AM
    Hey Swap. Good to have you back. But I must say I don't remember you being so aggressive.
    LOL I never left Kenny just don't always have something to say. And I have my moments. Sometimes long stretches of them. Depends on the day.

"I'm the immovable object, that dwells up in your project"
    06-14-12 01:38 AM
    Tell him Swap!! What a clown.. My battery last pretty damn long.. And really as far as apps are concerned complaining the PlayBook doesn't have any is bullsh*t.. I mean seriously that was true originally @ launch but now There's a ton of apps.. As of right now there are only a handful of apps that I would like to see and its not even really bothering me that much that those few apps aren't there.. It would be nice to finally get netflix/skype just to shut up certain cry babys but hey BB10 is coming.. For a while I didn't think they would come to BlackBerry but IMO since BlackBerry World/ BlackBerry 10 Jam I'm seriously thinking different.. I truly believe RIM is doing a great job reaching out to devs.. It took a while for them to turn around but I definitely see a nice comeback in the future..
    06-14-12 02:08 AM
    I agree with the thread title. I've actually been store hopping for the past 3 days just to go hold and play around with some Playbooks (specifically) because I know those 16GB models will run out soon enough and it's the cheapest full-function tablet of any decent quality on the market right now (plus, it has some good cameras).

Despite the fact that I have the cash in my wallet I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. Apps are the top reason for that. I'm actually quite astonished that RIM hasn't supported their own device better considering how thin the app store is for the thing. I really don't care to run poorly ported Android apps on it, when I can run those on my phone without having to rely on a WiFi connection, and I'm certainly not buying one to wait several months for OS10 to come to it, Lol.

They've barely ported any of their RIM Blackberry apps to it, even.

So basically they want me to buy an eReader with a cute OS on it, when a Kindle Fire costs the same and has Amazon's huge media ecosystem backing it.

It's not even much of a choice, but I still feel like I'm trying incredibly hard to make excuses for them. However, I don't like washing money down the drain.

The hardware is decent, but the experience is poor given how thin the app selection is added to the fact that RIM has really no ecosystem that ties into this device. It's like an orphan product that almost has no purpose at the moment. Sad to see.

Also with 4.5-4.8" smartphones this thing does seem quite redundant (the cameras are good, but smartphone cameras do even better since late 2011). I played around with some bigger Android tablets and I could touch type on them like a keyboard - on the touchscreen... It felt like something out of a Sci-Fi flic, lol.
    06-14-12 02:59 AM

Agree with you on the UI. I find it to be perfect for the tablet form factor (except for the lack of background services).

I also agree on the apps and the lack of developer support in general (relative to other platforms). There are quite a few big name and specialized apps missing and even those that are present are subpar compared to their iOS or Android versions (e.g. Adobe Reader, Evernote, etc.). It's sad to receive app updates almost daily on my Android phone, whereas I hardly get any update on my PB. Even if you consider the same apps. And I am not talking about the emulated Gingerbread apps that the PB can run. I just don't touch an app unless it's native.

As for battery life, you may be having some problems you need to check into. On standby, my PB only consumes about 2-3 percent overnight with Wi-Fi on. In general, the battery life is decent. Not spectacular (there are a few tablets with longer lasting batteries), but it's not bad either.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-14-12 at 03:22 AM.
    06-14-12 02:59 AM
    So everyone that disagrees with you about a Blackberry product is a troll?...oooookay

Anyway, I swear some of you guys are delusional when it comes to apps. I mean seriously. I don't even need to go into detail about that. Its really sad.

Blaq is okay, but its the ONLY twitter app available (and its not free). RIM still hasn't made a Twitter for Playbook. Ridiculous.

And use the web??? Seriously?? You guys must miss all of your mentions because last time I checked, the web version does not alert you.

06-14-12 06:28 AM
    Agree with you on the UI. I find it to be perfect for the tablet form factor (except for the lack of background services).

I also agree on the apps and the lack of developer support in general (relative to other platforms). There are quite a few big name and specialized apps missing and even those that are present are subpar compared to their iOS or Android versions (e.g. Adobe Reader, Evernote, etc.). It's sad to receive app updates almost daily on my Android phone, whereas I hardly get any update on my PB. Even if you consider the same apps. And I am not talking about the emulated Gingerbread apps that the PB can run. I just don't touch an app unless it's native.

As for battery life, you may be having some problems you need to check into. On standby, my PB only consumes about 2-3 percent overnight with Wi-Fi on. In general, the battery life is decent. Not spectacular (there are a few tablets with longer lasting batteries), but it's not bad either.
    + 1 to every word above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    06-14-12 06:43 AM
    So everyone that disagrees with you about a Blackberry product is a troll?...oooookay

Anyway, I swear some of you guys are delusional when it comes to apps. I mean seriously. I don't even need to go into detail about that. Its really sad.

Blaq is okay, but its the ONLY twitter app available (and its not free). RIM still hasn't made a Twitter for Playbook. Ridiculous.

And use the web??? Seriously?? You guys must miss all of your mentions because last time I checked, the web version does not alert you.

I don't use Twitter. Or Facebook. Used to, MySpace too. Then I read Brave New World Revisited and realized that, as Huxley points out, I as a human am a moderately gregarious pack animal, more like a wolf than say a herd animal, like a sheep, or a mindless drone that's part of a larger collective, like a bee. My every action and thought does not need to be shared with the rest of the world. As a matter of fact as a free human in a supposedly democratic society, I am appalled at how willing all of you are to track yourselves both psychologically and physically for Big Brother like that.

So there are no email notifications for mentions with the Web version of twitter? Sounds like a problem with Twitter. Maybe you should complain to them, after all they are the ones who haven't included this in their social media platform, and made it to where the native email doesn't alert you. Use your Playbook to make your Playbook experience better, without any extra apps, instead of complaining about RIM not developing an app that does what you want.
    Last edited by ThaSwapMeetPimp; 06-14-12 at 07:06 AM.
    06-14-12 07:03 AM
    I don't use Twitter. Or Facebook. Used to, MySpace too. Then I read Brave New World Revisited and realized that, as Huxley points out, I as a human am a moderately gregarious pack animal, more like a wolf than say a herd animal, like a sheep, or a mindless drone that's part of a larger collective, like a bee. My every action and thought does not need to be shared with the rest of the world. As a matter of fact as a free human in a supposedly democratic society, I am appalled at how willing all of you are to track yourselves for Big Brother like that.

So there are no email notifications for mentions with the Web version of twitter? Sounds like a problem with Twitter. Maybe you should complain to them, after all they are the ones who haven't included this in their social media platform, and made it to where the native email doesn't alert you. Use your Playbook to make your Playbook experience better, without any extra apps, instead of complaining about RIM not developing an app that does what you want.

So YOU don't use Twitter. Fine, but there are millions of people who do.

Its pretty obvious you don't know anything about Twitter or how it works, so its no point to discuss it with you.

You don't care about apps because YOU don't use them. Don't get mad because there are millions of other people who DO.

Your points are ridiculous. You sound like an old fogie who works at RIM. Probably contributing to there demise lol. I'm joking, but anyway....

06-14-12 07:07 AM
    So YOU don't use Twitter. Fine, but there are millions of people who do.

Its pretty obvious you don't know anything about Twitter or how it works, so its no point to discuss it with you.

You don't care about apps because YOU don't use them. Don't get mad because there are millions of other people who DO.

Your points are ridiculous. You sound like an old fogie who works at RIM. Probably contributing to there demise lol. I'm joking, but anyway....

I'm not mad its just irritating that most of the time I come to the forums to check out what's new some yahoo has posted some thread about why they don't think the Playbook is good, or how can they not have this app, or I'm not gonna use it anymore. Did you know your Playbook didn't do these things before you got it? If so then why did you buy it? If not, you probably should have researched it a little better before you dropped the cash to get it. I shouldn't be constantly exposed to your buyers remorse, whether it's from a lack of pre-purchase investigation or a willingness to throw money away on something that doesn't do what you want. And dude I'm 30, while I feel old I don't think I qualify for fogie status yet. And I definitely don't work for RIM. Don't work in tech even.
    06-14-12 07:20 AM
    I'm not mad its just irritating that most of the time I come to the forums to check out what's new some yahoo has posted some thread about why they don't think the Playbook is good, or how can they not have this app, or I'm not gonna use it anymore. Did you know your Playbook didn't do these things before you got it? If so then why did you buy it? If not, you probably should have researched it a little better before you dropped the cash to get it. I shouldn't be constantly exposed to your buyers remorse, whether it's from a lack of pre-purchase investigation or a willingness to throw money away on something that doesn't do what you want. And dude I'm 30, while I feel old I don't think I qualify for fogie status yet. And I definitely don't work for RIM. Don't work in tech even.

The whole premise in the beginning was that the Playbook would have an Android app player that would allow you to use all these Android apps that would be available in App World. Where are they?

There are more apps available for the Blackberry phones than the tablet.

The only reason I bought a Playbook was because I thought I could use it an as extention of my phone and the $199 price tag.

I'm disappointed in the app selection. Nothing wrong with that.

Its a pretty good tablet hardware and UI wise, but personally, it lacks where budget tablets excel.

Do I still use the Playbook? Yes, but not that often. After using it, I would prob put my money into a Galaxy Tab or something else.

06-14-12 07:28 AM
    The whole premise in the beginning was that the Playbook would have an Android app player that would allow you to use all these Android apps that would be available in App World. Where are they?

There are more apps available for the Blackberry phones than the tablet.

The only reason I bought a Playbook was because I thought I could use it an as extention of my phone and the $199 price tag.

I'm disappointed in the app selection. Nothing wrong with that.

Its a pretty good tablet hardware and UI wise, but personally, it lacks where budget tablets excel.

Do I still use the Playbook? Yes, but not that often. After using it, I would prob put my money into a Galaxy Tab or something else.

By extension of your phone what do you mean? Like to txt and make phone calls? It was well known before they dropped to $199 that they didnt have this functionality. If that's what you mean, it's a lack of investigation on your part. And if you wanted something that played android reliably, why would you rely on an emulator on a different tablet instead of getting an Android tablet? As an example, If I wanted to make sure every console game I had worked I wouldn't rely on an emulator I would buy the system and game so I knew it worked.
    06-14-12 07:37 AM
    By extension of your phone what do you mean? Like to txt and make phone calls? It was well known before they dropped to $199 that they didnt have this functionality. If that's what you mean, it's a lack of investigation on your part. And if you wanted something that played android reliably, why would you rely on an emulator on a different tablet instead of getting an Android tablet? As an example, If I wanted to make sure every console game I had worked I wouldn't rely on an emulator I would buy the system and game so I knew it worked.

By extension, I mean in apps and functionality.

There aren't many games/apps available for blackberry so I thought I would be able to have those options along with the awesome Bridge feature because I own a Blackberry.

Why can't I be disappointed with the lack of apps? Its true!! Its not like I'm saying the Playbook is terrible, but it DOES lack apps. I'm not gonna sit here and make excuses for it. Geez.

Chrisy likes this.
    06-14-12 07:41 AM
    By extension, I mean in apps and functionality.

There aren't many games/apps available for blackberry so I thought I would be able to have those options along with the awesome Bridge feature because I own a Blackberry.

Why can't I be disappointed with the lack of apps? Its true!! Its not like I'm saying the Playbook is terrible, but it DOES lack apps. I'm not gonna sit here and make excuses for it. Geez.

And there is the thing I've been pointing out to you. It's what you thought you would be able to have, not what you knew you would have. That is completely a lack of investigation on your part. Why should we have to listen to you complain about something you could have avoided if you had just investigated a little harder? It's annoying.

I never said you can't be disappointed with the lack of apps but find a thread that is already discussing this and talk about it there instead of cluttering up the forums with the same tired whine. I'm sure there were plenty of these threads already before you bought it, and if you had just investigated and read them then you wouldn't have spent money on something that doesn't do what you want.
    06-14-12 07:51 AM
    And there is the thing I've been pointing out to you. It's what you thought you would be able to have, not what you knew you would have. That is completely a lack of investigation on your part. Why should we have to listen to you complain about something you could have avoided if you had just investigated a little harder? It's annoying.

I never said you can't be disappointed with the lack of apps but find a thread that is already discussing this and talk about it there instead of cluttering up the forums with the same tired whine. I'm sure there were plenty of these threads already before you bought it, and if you had just investigated and read them then you wouldn't have spent money on something that doesn't do what you want.

Remember what I said about the Android app player? But its no point. You have no interest in apps so u wouldn't care and thats fine. Just don't come in a thread about "lack of Playbook apps" and prove a point.

Chrisy likes this.
    06-14-12 07:55 AM
    Remember what I said about the Android app player? But its no point. You have no interest in apps so u wouldn't care and thats fine. Just don't come in a thread about "lack of Playbook apps" and prove a point.

Android app player. Did you know it would work or think it would work? And I came in here to express my irritation with all of these Playbook sucks because it lacks apps threads, not to prove a point. That's just a little bonus.
    06-14-12 08:05 AM
    Android app player. Did you know it would work or think it would work? And I came in here to express my irritation with all of these Playbook sucks because it lacks apps threads, not to prove a point. That's just a little bonus.

I got my Playbook one day after the release of OS 2. As soon as I powered on my Playbook it installed OS 2. Like I said, I got the Playbook because of the Android player. It would be like the best of both worlds.

Like I also said. The premise of OS 2 and the Android player was to have access to all of these wonderful Android apps in App World that would work seamless with the Playbook.

I'm sorry but the Android player didn't deliver. Ask anyone and they will agree.

06-14-12 09:17 AM
    I don't remember hearing or anyone from RIM saying all android apps will work from the market. In fact the ones who listened heard some apps will work and the devs will need to port and submit them to app world for downloading.

Sideloading, well you're just taking a chance it may or may not work. At least you have the option yet but no sense in complaining about sideloaded apps not working for those that do.

If your life and happiness revolve around certain apps then you bought the wrong thing. Yes to be a player it needs them and either they will eventually come and I think they will but not until BB10, or they won't.
    06-14-12 09:28 AM
    From Blackberry devs Get your Android apps ready for the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 launch �BlackBerry Developer Blog

Get your Android apps ready for the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 launch

01.31.12 Research In Motion

Hey everyone! James here from the Developer Relations team at Research In Motion� (RIM�).

At CES 2012 in Las Vegas, we previewed the upcoming BlackBerry� PlayBook™ OS 2.0 software, which is designed to have the BlackBerry� Runtime for Android™ Apps built-in! This offering will allow developers to repackage their existing Android™ applications to run on the BlackBerry� PlayBook™ tablet, as well as the upcoming BlackBerry� 10 devices.

Seeing the great response for the BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps at CES, developer meet-ups and conferences that we’ve attended over the last few months, we’re expecting a huge interest in the consumer space for these apps when the update is made available next month. We want to ensure that you are able to capitalize on this unique opportunity by having your applications available when BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 is launched!

From Goodereader.com Blackberry Playbook OS2 Update Is Finally Available! | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Digital Publishing News

The Blackberry Playbook is finally relevant again with a major software upgrade that spent almost a year in development. The new OS2 update is available in your settings menu where you select “update.” It will give you some amazing new features that will give you the quintessential RIM experience.

...One of the most important elements to this update is the ability to use Android applications on your Playbook. Behind the scenes in the firmware is a Android Player that will give you access to tons of new apps. Speaking of apps, make sure to check out the revised Appworld for plenty of new programs, games, and productivity. The most exciting thing for me is how easy the process is for existing Android apps to be converted over to the RIM format, so you can expect a massive influx for new content soon.

Im sorry, but they did not deliver in this area.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-14-12 at 09:48 AM.
    06-14-12 09:44 AM
    I don't remember hearing or anyone from RIM saying all android apps will work from the market. In fact the ones who listened heard some apps will work and the devs will need to port and submit them to app world for downloading.

Sideloading, well you're just taking a chance it may or may not work. At least you have the option yet but no sense in complaining about sideloaded apps not working for those that do.

If your life and happiness revolve around certain apps then you bought the wrong thing. Yes to be a player it needs them and either they will eventually come and I think they will but not until BB10, or they won't.
    yeah, expecting a tablet to have apps is ridiculous

Its not the sideloaded apps thats the problem. Its the player.
    Last edited by shemaree09; 06-14-12 at 09:49 AM.
    06-14-12 09:45 AM
    yeah, expecting a tablet to have apps is ridiculous

Its not the sideloaded apps thats the problem. Its the player.
    Yes it is and seems many think it's much better in the development beta. Do things really go better with coke? Try one maybe the DROID apps you desire will work better. I hope you know I'm only kidding.

If android apps are what you want why not buy an android?
    06-14-12 10:07 AM
238 ... 678910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD