Actually I strongly disagree. I equate the apps of various platforms to software 'programs' we buy and install on our desktop and laptop. They are needed to fully appreciate a tablet and for you to attempt to marginalize what they are and how they benefit the end user is a joke.
    LOL What? Are you saying that the Emperor's new clothes are not magnificent?
    04-15-12 08:01 AM
    I had an iPhone for a while and found their twitter app to be HORRIBLE! It didn't give new tweet notifications, so it really wasn't any better than any PlayBook option. At least Blaq for PlayBook gives notifications if it's open in the background.
    04-15-12 08:02 AM
    That would be valid if one believed that those who are complaining actually own Playbooks to begin with. I, for one, doubt it.

The "lack of apps" argument is an easy point of complaint that requires no PB ownership to launch.

Of course this is just my opinion, which I should be as free to voice as are those whose only point is to whine.
    RIM sold a million Playbooks after dropping the price to almost 1/3rd. I would say many of those users are new to the RIM platform, but as far as the Playbook is concerned, they might now be the majority. Is it all that surprising that the number of complaints about the lack of apps spiked at the same time? Will they continue to complain? Of course they will, if the next gen Playbook sells well, and this situation doesn't improve, you'll see a lot more of it.
    04-15-12 08:10 AM
    I agree with the OP to a certain amount, the PlayBook is an amazing device, but it doesn't sit on nothing gathering dust. The PlayBook does so much that if all I thought about was apps, I would lose the JOY this tablet brings. Sure it doesn't have a billion apps, and their are improvements that need to be implemented, but overall it gets the job done for ME. Yes, I would like more apps like Skype, netflix ect. as much as the next user, but to constantly complain, disgrace or insult the PlayBook or BlackBerry (RIM) products is ridiculous. Bottom line, if you're unhappy with any device......buy what makes you HAPPY
    04-15-12 08:12 AM
    I agree with the OP to a certain amount, the PlayBook is an amazing device, but it doesn't sit on nothing gathering dust. The PlayBook does so much that if all I thought about was apps, I would lose the JOY this tablet brings. Sure it doesn't have a billion apps, and their are improvements that need to be implemented, but overall it gets the job done for ME. Yes, I would like more apps like Skype, netflix ect. as much as the next user, but to constantly complain, disgrace or insult the PlayBook or BlackBerry (RIM) products is ridiculous. Bottom line, if you're unhappy with any device......buy what makes you HAPPY
    You'll be happy to know I took your advice 5 weeks ago and picked up an iPad 2. Thanks for the help!
    04-15-12 08:16 AM
    The thing is, when is it not just 'whining'? EG I think the Playbook is a great product with fantastic build quality and horsepower. Those of you who bought one pre-OS2 saw a major improvement with OS2. I bought mine after OS2 came out, and never ran OS1. And I haven't really seen much of anything in the way of development since then. There are a bunch apps available on every other platform that I want to be able to use (and I don't mean Skype and Netflix) that I can't run on the Playbook. And from talking to developers, there are no plans to have Playbook versions. So really, is everyone supposed to just accept that and not complain? When is a situation like that ever not going to be a main topic on a forum with a section dedicated to the device? People like the device and want stuff to work with it. They don't want to have to buy another device. So they are going to keep talking about it.
    04-15-12 08:36 AM
    ZZZzzzzz........
    04-15-12 08:50 AM
    Actually I strongly disagree. I equate the apps of various platforms to software 'programs' we buy and install on our desktop and laptop. They are needed to fully appreciate a tablet and for you to attempt to marginalize what they are and how they benefit the end user is a joke.
    wow are you missing the boat.

apps ARE programs. and apple is shaping the desktop program into an app by having mac programs available in the desktop version of their app store. so is microsoft. windows 8 will have some kind of store built in for purchases. it's marketing, nothing more, nothing less. and you are into it hook line and sinker.

i'm gonna make facebook and twitter app for the desktop and use the power of apple brainwashing everyone to make millions. and it's going to be nothing more than a browser launcher. but hey, it's an app, so it has to be better right?

funny how no one notices google's attempt to have everything run in the browser anymore. chrome is still on track to do that. in fact..

maybe that's what android is really doing, and no one notices.
    04-15-12 08:56 AM
    Learn to use your excellent PlayBook browser, and deny those the pleasure of denying you an app for that.
    04-15-12 09:00 AM
    This topic has never been discussed before..

Stating the obvious that more apps would help make the PB more popular is a given, but complaining about the app selection post purchase is simply whining... this is information that was available to you in advance.

Every consumer is responsible for his own due diligence and RIM is not responsible for your buyers remorse.

If you wanted skype, netflix or other apps that are on Android or IOS you should NOT HAVE BOUGHT THE PLAYBOOK.. its that simple.. I will make it easier...... If you want a 7" tablet with lots of apps.. either get an Android tablet or just don't buy a tablet.
    04-15-12 09:05 AM

Stating the obvious that more apps would help make the PB more popular is a given, but complaining about the app selection post purchase is simply whining... this is information that was available to you in advance.

Every consumer is responsible for his own due diligence and RIM is not responsible for your buyers remorse.

If you wanted skype, netflix or other apps that are on Android or IOS you should NOT HAVE BOUGHT THE PLAYBOOK.. its that simple.. I will make it easier...... If you want a 7" tablet with lots of apps.. either get an Android tablet or just don't buy a tablet.
    That's an affirmative, shipmate. Some live to whine; I live to wine and dine.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    04-15-12 09:07 AM
    To Mark and the Teacher......may I ask "since you purchased what makes you HAPPY" why are you on a BlackBerry site?? Why not express your Joy with your tablets on their respective sites??? , neither of you even have a BlackBerry device showing on your profiles
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-15-12 09:11 AM
    To Mark and the Teacher......may I ask "since you purchased what makes you HAPPY" why are you on a BlackBerry site?? Why not express your Joy with your tablets on their respective sites??? , neither of you even have a BlackBerry device showing on your profiles
    Uh huh!
    Spencerdl likes this.
    04-15-12 09:15 AM
    What makes a tablet a tablet a good tablet? Wide selections of apps.
    04-15-12 09:17 AM
    The thing is, when is it not just 'whining'? EG I think the Playbook is a great product with fantastic build quality and horsepower. Those of you who bought one pre-OS2 saw a major improvement with OS2. I bought mine after OS2 came out, and never ran OS1. And I haven't really seen much of anything in the way of development since then. There are a bunch apps available on every other platform that I want to be able to use (and I don't mean Skype and Netflix) that I can't run on the Playbook. And from talking to developers, there are no plans to have Playbook versions. So really, is everyone supposed to just accept that and not complain? When is a situation like that ever not going to be a main topic on a forum with a section dedicated to the device? People like the device and want stuff to work with it. They don't want to have to buy another device. So they are going to keep talking about it.
    You pretty much answered your own question.....if developers have no plans to bring apps that YOU like to the PlayBook, why constantly complain (whine), just move on to a tablet that those apps are available.....a no brainer in my opinion . There are a lot of great products on the current market, but if they don't do what I would like for them to do, I'm going to purchase what closely suits my needs and wants, again.....a no brainer
    04-15-12 09:26 AM
    being able to use it as you intended to when you got it, apps or not.
    Spencerdl and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-15-12 09:28 AM
    ....and if there isn't an app for that, guess what I do...I use the superb PB browser.
    roy baty, Spencerdl and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-15-12 09:29 AM
    I want a dedicated app for that. Especially when the "superb" browser is closing itself every now and then. That's a pain in the when you're doing something on it. Not everything can be done using the browser, sometimes it's more convenient for you to use a dedicated app. Again, if you found that the browser can do everything for you, good for you then. For me, I would love to have more selection of applications.
    Darlaten likes this.
    04-15-12 09:37 AM
    ....and if there isn't an app for that, guess what I do...I use the superb PB browser.
    Simple statement but sums up why the PB doesn't need an app for almost every website like the iPad.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-15-12 09:40 AM
    This is one of those threads that just makes me think "Yes, the fact that there is no official Twitter app is a legitiment complaint, and so is the lack of apps, but if you want to complain about it then please for the love of god don't make a new thread, go use one of the old ones. We know, some of us agree (although I still use my PB all the time, I still agree to a certain extent), and you can happily complain. Just please don't make a whole new thread over it."
    04-15-12 09:42 AM
    if posters stopped complaining about the same things that we already know about, it wouldn't have to be pointed out time after time. we could all move on to something more productive, like my previously mentioned rum, beer, and bikini apps.

and please show me where i've insulted anyone. i openly admit i've said posts and threads are ridiculous. because they simply are. but i haven't insulted anyone.

i got 20 points towards something. i assume a ban, for "insulting a user". the comment was "threads like this insult my intelligence."
    Did I miss where you said there's a gun to your head forcing you to read the thread?

No?

You earned the 20 points because you are choosing to be ignorant to other posters. PK isn't on the wrong here...

As far as "just use the browser" - as was mentioned previously, the browser is a poor substitute for a well made app. I mean, even the Touchpad has outstanding Facebook and Twitter apps for WebOS - a dead platform. The Facebook app is so good I wish they'd make the iOS app behave more like it.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 04-15-12 at 09:46 AM.
    04-15-12 09:42 AM

Does the same go for me who purchased this device on DAY 1 with constant lies of "the apps are coming" via the manufacturer?

Sent via tapatalk using the Samsung Galaxy Note
    04-15-12 09:43 AM
    Simple statement but sums up why the PB doesn't need an app for almost every website like the iPad.
    So why won't RIMM market their browser?

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-15-12 09:54 AM
    wow are you missing the boat.

apps ARE programs. and apple is shaping the desktop program into an app by having mac programs available in the desktop version of their app store. so is microsoft. windows 8 will have some kind of store built in for purchases. it's marketing, nothing more, nothing less. and you are into it hook line and sinker.

i'm gonna make facebook and twitter app for the desktop and use the power of apple brainwashing everyone to make millions. and it's going to be nothing more than a browser launcher. but hey, it's an app, so it has to be better right?

funny how no one notices google's attempt to have everything run in the browser anymore. chrome is still on track to do that. in fact..

maybe that's what android is really doing, and no one notices.
    Exactly.

I already have Facebook notifications on my windows machine even when I'm not using the browser. Apps are much more than something to use that isn't as good as the browser.

It's been a year. These apps were promised. They were expected, even (who has heard of a tab that has no Twitter app?). People have a right to like their PB but complain over the lack of apps that they expect to see because even 'dead' tabs like the Touchpad have them.

If I bought a PB and it didn't have a basic app like twitter, I'd be annoyed too.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    jimbo_hippo likes this.
    04-15-12 09:55 AM
    new to the PB community (mine's coming in the mail... EXCITED!)

What i've learned... get Blaq for my twitter needs

Thanks guys :-p
    Last edited by Jamaicangirl81; 04-15-12 at 10:03 AM.
    pkcable and mikeplus1 like this.
    04-15-12 09:56 AM
238 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD