Sorry folks. The playbook is a great tablet, I love everything about it. But I find it just sits on my counter collecting dust because of the lack of apps.

No twitter? Are you kidding me?!?! IN 2012 what company makes a tablet with no official twitter?

Update: I have used plenty of tablets, none come anywhere close to the playbook's user interface. Everything is perfect about it, the colors they use, the details, everything. Amazing. I love the feel of the playbook, I love the back of it, the camera is amazing.

2 Things which have made me decide I no longer want to use this tablet.

1. LACK OF APPS. Period. Netflix,twitter, bloomberg, stock apps, etc. etc. And don't tell me to use the web browser, using the web browser for apps is a head ache. The twitter mobile site is really laggy, and slow. On top of that, don't tell me to load android apps on it, android apps are extremely laggy, glitchy, and constantly freeze.

2. BATTERY. Absolutely horrible! When I fully charge it to 100% and leave it on my table over the weekend, the battery slowly dies without me even using it!
    Last edited by SackHarry; 06-13-12 at 09:57 PM.
    dennie82, Yaceka, gabe2gg and 5 others like this.
    04-14-12 07:50 PM
    BS. Too hard to put twitter.com in your bookmarks I guess. With the power of the PB you need few apps.
    04-14-12 07:55 PM
    Official twitter would be nice, but seriously, what's wrong using the official twitter site, the other third party twitter apps, or just sideloading the official Android Twitter? It's not that big of a deal to me, but to each of their own.
    04-14-12 07:57 PM
    Sorry folks. The playbook is a great tablet, I love everything about it. But I find it just sits on my counter collecting dust because of the lack of apps.

No twitter? Are you kidding me?!?! IN 2012 what company makes a tablet with no official twitter?
    I agree completely. People will say you can use the web site or buy one of the third-party apps but the fact remains that users of other tablets don't have to do that. I bought Blaq but I'm unimpressed. I even prefer to use the Twitter client on my phone, which says a lot.
    triplealiali and cdelcampo216 like this.
    04-14-12 08:02 PM
    And this is where we all just move along like grownups...I hope. There's no question & no solution to be had. Just an inflammatory statement. For once, I'd love to see the "high road" reaction from the pb community.
    04-14-12 08:04 PM

Eh...it's not really that bad. I felt that way in the beginning, too. But I'm finding more and more apps every day that are outstanding. And the lack of a Twitter app is inconsequential on the Playbook because the web browser can access the Twitter website just as good as a PC. I find I much prefer using the web browser over the few Twitter apps available. I've had the OEM Twitter app on my iPad and still prefer accessing Twitter through the iPad's web browser. It's so much better that I deleted the OEM Twitter app.

I now have on my Playbook all the same type apps I normally use on my Android and iOS devices. And most of the ones on the Playbook (native Playbook apps) are better than the Android and iOS types. And 90% of my Playbook apps and games are native rather Android conversions. The only app I'm waiting on for the Playbook, and it's coming, is Angry Birds Space.

Give your PB some getting used to and you'll become fully satisfied with it and find the AppWorld offerings quite satisfying.
    kozmo68 and ambarmetta like this.
    04-14-12 08:11 PM
    twitter.com is not acceptable for an actual twitter app. There are several twitter apps in appworld though even if they are not "official" apps.
    04-14-12 08:11 PM
    Like people above said.. Why don't you use the browser. It's fun to use the playbook browser and I been looking for every reason to use the browser.

I used playbook so much that my macbook air is collecting dust.
    Marty_LK and kozmo68 like this.
    04-14-12 08:15 PM
    Twitter for iPad was just a bigger version of Twitter for iphone at first. Haven't been on one in a while, not sure what NEW and REVOLUTIONARY features Apple has updated the iPad twitter app with. I use Blaq for PlayBook, I really like it.

I'm fine with watching Netflix on my ipod touch or Mac Book... Why? Because web browsing on my PlayBook is better than either of those two..so while I'm watching a movie, I can still use the PlayBook to be on the Internet.

I don't understand why people cry about the huge lack of apps. I'm not blind to the fact that iOS has a big app selection. It does. But when im browsing it, there's nothing that I'm like "jeez, I reaaaaalllllyyy MUST HAVE that app on my PlayBook!!!!"
    04-14-12 08:19 PM
    why are you guys being so defensive; at least be open to hearing everyone out and accepting that not everyone will have the same opinion as you.

jeez, its like you would do anything for RIM when there is a "problem" with apps that DOES make it hard for the PlayBook to compete.
    04-14-12 08:23 PM

Why do you need an official Twitter when you have BLAQ and the web.

So you title this "amazing tablet - but it sucks because of lack of apps" when you are only complaining about missing Twitter? Let me see,,,,thats 1 app.

The lack of apps is horse that has been beat to death over and over again.

Tim
    Marty_LK, kozmo68 and ambarmetta like this.
    04-14-12 08:24 PM
    Wow Blackberry defense force has all hands on deck I see - how dare the OP state his opinion about the lack of an official twitter app, grow up blackberry fanboys and I'd suggest trying to feel secure about your 200 dollar purchase.
    Last edited by The-Teacher; 04-14-12 at 08:51 PM.
    04-14-12 08:46 PM
    what can you do on a twitter app that you cannot do on twitter.com?
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-14-12 08:48 PM
    The Twitter.com site doesn't load uing bridge browser for me.
    04-14-12 08:56 PM
    BS. Too hard to put twitter.com in your bookmarks I guess. With the power of the PB you need few apps.
    with the power of horse, you don't need a car. with a power of desktop, you don't need a tablet...........
    dennie82 likes this.
    04-14-12 09:22 PM
    Browser apps, having to type in the bloody password every other time you use it, multiple that by a few apps, and it gets tiresome quickly.

Browser apps, rarely designed for a 7" screen size, buttons too small, too close together, and/or not designed for a touchscreen at all, expecting a mouse.

Browser apps, when the Playbook browser crashes, they all go down together and reopening doesn't always get you back to the same spot.
    04-14-12 09:28 PM
    As much as I hate to say it, I agree with the OP.

I absolutely love my playbook from a design and UI standpoint, but when it comes to what SHOULD be basic fundamental access to certain things in this day and age of mobile devices it sadly falls short.

Things like an official twitter app, an actual Kindle app(not an android one that needs to be sideloaded) and netflix functionality ti name just a few, it really has become frustrating to me to have such an amazing device at my fingertips that I can't use for so many things that it should be able to be used for. It's like owning a ferrari with a chip in it that only allows it to do 30mph.

Yes you can all point out the many things it does well, and yes it does do many things well, and yes you can all point out work arounds and alternantive ways of accessing some of the things it's lacking in, but the reality is....it shouldn't be that way.

At what point do we all stop making excuses for it and just admit that any comparable devices just don't have all of the compromises the playbook has. It sucks, and I hate it, because I want so badly for my playbook to be everything I had hoped it would be, but it really looks like it never will be that.
    04-14-12 09:36 PM
    A native twitter app WOULD be nice, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I use Blaq, plus as others have stated the website works well. AND you do know you can add twitter to the new native Messages app right?
    04-14-12 09:37 PM
    Browser apps, having to type in the bloody password every other time you use it, multiple that by a few apps, and it gets tiresome quickly.
    You must not like cookies, this is NEVER a problem if you stop using clear all option . Clear CACHE and local storage in browser not cookies.

@chrisy520

Me too, do you have twitter on the phone you bridge with?
    I do, and wonder if that has anything to do with it.(same account)
    04-14-12 10:16 PM
    funny how you all want apps for use on a tablet, yet don't say a word about using a web browser on a desktop.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-14-12 10:26 PM
    I love using my playbook, in fact I'm using it right now. However one advantage of an official app over web browser is the minimal data usage, which is beneficial when you tether to your phone.
    If you are on a capped cellular data plan (most of us in Canada), you can easily go over your permitted usage in a month using the browser version of a website.
    My 14yr old found out the hard by accessing Facebook using the web browser instead of using the app on his phone.....well after receiving his bill he quickly switched back to the app.
    04-14-12 10:41 PM
    Pointless post. In before lock
    04-14-12 10:42 PM
    how is it pointless? kindly leave if you don't want to contribute to the discussion
    Fmar, fbloise, Yaceka and 1 others like this.
    04-14-12 10:47 PM
    it's pointless because it's thread 8095 about lack of apps.

we get it already.
    04-14-12 10:51 PM
    Come on guys! If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, just move along to the next thread. The OP has a point, and is entitled to express it, and others can agree or disagree. HOWEVER lets not insult each other!
    04-14-12 10:55 PM
238 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD