I fired up my playbook music player today and this was amazing: clear sound, ridiculous balance. Well apart from streaming European football to the big screen via hdmi, I now have a new use for my playbook. Amazing it's 3 years old

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and yvpan1 like this.
    03-25-14 12:44 PM
    My wife still plays music over it pretty regularly too!
    03-25-14 12:48 PM
    I fired up my playbook music player today and this was amazing: clear sound, ridiculous balance. Well apart from streaming European football to the big screen via hdmi, I now have a new use for my playbook. Amazing it's 3 years old

Posted via CB10
    Get the BB Music Gateway (Bluetooth) to plug into your audio system. If you have a BB phone, use that as the remote control of your PB. Also, get Neutron Music player. Best player out there for the PB!

Have fun!!

c
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-25-14 12:48 PM
    The speakers are the one thing the Playbook has which remains class leading.
    Carl Estes and yvpan1 like this.
    03-25-14 12:49 PM
    Love it so much coz of the speakers!

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 12:55 PM
    Yeah it is still great hardware. Could still be a great tablet with a new lease on life with an updated, non-AIR based OS like BB10. TabletOS is just ridiculously inefficient and the AIR based parts of BB10 that operate slower than molasses (like Settings!) show what a hog AIR is and why the PlayBook OS had to be scrapped, switched to Cascades, which in turn delayed getting phones utilizing QNX to market.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 12:59 PM
    Yeah it is still great hardware. Could still be a great tablet with a new lease on life with an updated, non-AIR based OS like BB10. TabletOS is just ridiculously inefficient and the AIR based parts of BB10 that operate slower than molasses (like Settings!) show what a hog AIR is and why the PlayBook OS had to be scrapped, switched to Cascades, which in turn delayed getting phones utilizing QNX to market.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't know about all that but I freaking love cascades. The tablet indeed with its 1gb ram is still a fighter and it's got uses if updated. Sad it had to be scrapped

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 01:13 PM
    Yeah the speakers on the playbook are amazing. They put the one on my transformer tab to shame.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    03-25-14 01:47 PM
    It's a great device just let down by software. A few updates and I could stand mine toe to toe with recent tablets

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-25-14 02:44 PM
    Yeah the speakers on the playbook are amazing. They put the one on my transformer tab to shame.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    Same with my Nook... It has one speaker which isn't even great. Quality stereo speakers? MAN, I wish I had a reason to bring the PB out of retirement!
    03-25-14 02:52 PM
    Same with my Nook... It has one speaker which isn't even great. Quality stereo speakers? MAN, I wish I had a reason to bring the PB out of retirement!
    Same here man
    03-25-14 02:59 PM
    It still does the job for me. Granted it's a leisure device more now but I use mine daily still

03-25-14 03:06 PM
    It still does the job for me. Granted it's a leisure device more now but I use mine daily still

My sentiments exactly. It's leisure but my z10 does most of the official crap. Homework and essay

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    03-25-14 03:09 PM
    My non carry PB was one I picked up when the prices were pretty low ($149 USD at the time for a 64GB) and it just lives on the charging stand. Having decent speakers is great because it's my super fancy digital alarm clock, sleep sound machine, audiobook player, weather station (no sound needed, but still) sometimes I'll pick it out of the dock and do a little reading - and now and then I'll stream from it to other things. I figure it'll at least have those uses long after it actually does become completely outdated by most standards. I'll never *not* want all of the above on my nightstand (so unless it fails, I see no reason it ever will be outdated for me).

Only problem is I have no other use for that one, since my first 64GB PB stubbornly keeps working perfectly, and I use it every single day a few times a day.
    03-25-14 06:09 PM
    It's got pretty crappy specs, and a poor half-baked OS, but I totally agree that it's got some of the best speakers on a tablet, even by today's standards.
    03-25-14 06:42 PM
    It's got pretty crappy specs, and a poor half-baked OS, but I totally agree that it's got some of the best speakers on a tablet, even by today's standards.
    What crappy specs? It's a 3 year product... the Os and marketing was irs problem not the specs mate... what did you expect from such an old product?

03-25-14 07:22 PM
    What crappy specs? It's a 3 year product... the Os and marketing was irs problem not the specs mate... what did you expect from such an old product?

It was outclassed in almost all departments by the other tablets it was priced against. iPad 2, galaxy tab 10.1, even the HP touchpad.

But why are you always concentrating on the negatives? I agreed that it had great speakers for a tablet.
    03-25-14 07:57 PM
    It was outclassed in almost all departments by the other tablets it was priced against. iPad 2, galaxy tab 10.1, even the HP touchpad.

But why are you always concentrating on the negatives? I agreed that it had great speakers for a tablet.
    I checked out the ipad 2 stats on the apple site and I didn't see anything "out of the ordinary ". Nothing that said it was "underspec per.se.

The camera on the playbook isn't as good but I've used it decently enough. The battery is damn good and the screen resolution was great.

03-25-14 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure it had better specs overall than anything else out at the time, which shocked many because it was the first time BlackBerry came out with something that was out front. It was and still is crippled by software that never delivered on what was promised. Unfortunately they under spec'd it for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 05:58 AM
    I'm pretty sure it had better specs overall than anything else out at the time, which shocked many because it was the first time BlackBerry came out with something that was out front. It was and still is crippled by software that never delivered on what was promised. Unfortunately they under spec'd it for BB10.

Posted via CB10
    My argument exactly. The specs deserved the pricing. The crappy software didn't sadly

03-26-14 08:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    They killed it by saying blackberry 10 would come on it. That stopped developers as they waited for the new OS before developing for ut

03-26-14 01:52 PM
    They killed it by saying blackberry 10 would come on it. That stopped developers as they waited for the new OS before developing for ut

They didn't say that until very late in the PlayBook life cycle.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 01:59 PM
    They didn't say that until very late in the PlayBook life cycle.

Posted via CB10
    Actually they said it quite early. I was aware of that fact not long after it came out

03-26-14 02:40 PM
    Actually they said it quite early. I was aware of that fact not long after it came out

The first thing that killed development was stating the Android player was going to be available end of the first summer, and it didn't show up for some time, and when it did was horrible. I think TH was the first person to say BB10 was coming to the PlayBook, during the fire sale which was I believe a year and a half after it was introduced.

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 07:39 PM
    The first thing that killed development was stating the Android player was going to be available end of the first summer, and it didn't show up for some time, and when it did was horrible. I think TH was the first person to say BB10 was coming to the PlayBook, during the fire sale which was I believe a year and a half after it was introduced.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned before thor took over?

03-27-14 03:31 AM
26 12