I'm starting a thread for this because I feel its very important and being overlooked right now. I must point out that before the 2.0 update my PlayBook worked PERFECTLY. After the update (which always went smoothly) I would play around with it, make folders, update apps etc. with no problems. Once it gets turned OFF then turning it on again it has so far froze EVERY single time on the splash screen! No amount of hard/soft resets has been able to get it passed the splash screen. Thus far the only solution is for me to COMLETELY wipe it and reinstall 2.0 via the Desktop Manager then wait the three hours it takes to do an 11gb restore. Or wipe/reinstall then NEVER be able to customize or transfer anything to it because next time it gets turned off it freezes all over again. This is a serious problem to me as it essentially means my PlayBook can NEVER be turned off, reset or die from low battery. Basic ON/OFF functionality is completely gone on my PlayBook which really angers me as it NEVER did this before the update. I'm looking to find anyone else experiencing this and any solutions to return basic ON/OFF functionality. I have already read of several others who are having this problem so I know its not just me. Seriously I love RIM but this is just unacceptable.
    02-23-12 03:41 AM
    Something might be wrong with your backup restore. Try wiping it and not do the restore and see what happens. If it works fine, then there is something weird in your backup that's causing this.

Good luck!
    02-23-12 03:54 AM
    Something might be wrong with your backup restore. Try wiping it and not do the restore and see what happens. If it works fine, then there is something weird in your backup that's causing this.

Good luck!
    Thanks for the advice. I've already had to do 4 reinstalls via DM but when I think about it my PlayBook didn't freeze until after I did a restore. Before any restore it didn't freeze however the freezing only occurred after a successful restore and then turned off. In other words the restore worked fine as did the tablet UNTIL it got turned off. While it would make sense that if my backup were the problem it would freeze before I had a chance to check my files your suggestion is worth the hours of customizing/transferring to see if that fixes it. Perhaps RIM overlooked an incompatibility when doing a restore from a 1.x backup. I will try it then post my results.
    02-23-12 05:49 AM
    Are you sure it is frozen? Booting OS 2.0 takes quite a bit longer than 1.0.
    02-23-12 10:08 AM
    I've done some sideloading to my playbook and since then I rebooted and I'm experiencing this too. Posted in a couple areas about this, but I too am experiencing this issue. I'm almost at 3 hours hoping that it's just a loading thing with all the apps that I sideloaded. Hopefully some one has answer to this.
    02-23-12 12:36 PM
    Are you sure it is frozen? Booting OS 2.0 takes quite a bit longer than 1.0.
    I've left it on and booting up (while plugged in) for the entire 13 hours of my work day...twice...more than an adequate amount of time. Still frozen on splash screen.
    02-24-12 01:31 AM
    RIM seriously has to address this issue...fast.
    02-24-12 01:33 AM

Good luck!
    Didn't do a restore...manually added everything back on and went through all my customizing...powered off then on....still BLOODY freezes on splash screen.
    02-24-12 01:35 AM
    ebonfa; you had mentioned this in another thread but I just wanted to post it in here. The problem on my device was in my customization. I had moved all icons into folders then to the main row and had no icons below. After making all these changes and restarting the device it would freeze at the startup screen. After debricking and keeping my icons in a not as neat manner I've had no issues rebooting my device.
    02-24-12 02:05 AM
    ebonfa; you had mentioned this in another thread but I just wanted to post it in here. The problem on my device was in my customization. I had moved all icons into folders then to the main row and had no icons below. After making all these changes and restarting the device it would freeze at the startup screen. After debricking and keeping my icons in a not as neat manner I've had no issues rebooting my device.
    Yes I fully agree. I think the problem has been narrowed down to putting ALL icons into folders then putting ALL folders onto the main row...thereby leaving NO icons outside of folders on the home screen. If PlayBook owners customize their tablet in this manner I believe they too will experience the freeze on startup. I too have found that by leaving one solitary icon on the home screen and not in a folder it solves the boot issue. Still this is a bug that RIM needs to address IMHO.
    02-24-12 02:13 AM
    Interesting discovery. I would guess that it is a bug. Either it should work or the pb should NOT allow you to do that type of organization/consolidation of icons. It should stop you from doing that fatal move of icons.

Now, how to let them know - call support??? Post on their support forum.
    02-24-12 09:07 AM
    Thanks ebonfa & BobbyBolivia - This same thing happened to my wife's pb twice. Happened upon this thread, and mentioned it to her. She said that's exactly what she did with folders...After 2nd fix...let's hope this one doesn't happen again..what a pita...
    02-25-12 06:50 AM
    Yes I fully agree. I think the problem has been narrowed down to putting ALL icons into folders then putting ALL folders onto the main row...thereby leaving NO icons outside of folders on the home screen. If PlayBook owners customize their tablet in this manner I believe they too will experience the freeze on startup. I too have found that by leaving one solitary icon on the home screen and not in a folder it solves the boot issue. Still this is a bug that RIM needs to address IMHO.
    YES! Me too! I also put all my apps in 6 docked folders. I have wiped and reloaded three times already because of this!
    02-25-12 07:45 AM
    Yes I've had the exact same symptoms and had to do several reinstall. I've also organised my icons in the same way.

Agree its a bug that needs addressing asap but at least we know what to do to prevent this.

Thanks to all for finding this out.
    02-25-12 07:54 AM
    Yes I've had the exact same symptoms and had to do several reinstall. I've also organised my icons in the same way.

Agree its a bug that needs addressing asap but at least we know what to do to prevent this.

Thanks to all for finding this out.
    Ditto. Good find. If all I have to do is keep an app or two off the dock until they fix this, I can deal with that. This was driving me crazy, and I love the new features of OS2 otherwise.
    02-25-12 08:00 AM
    Mods! Is this or can this become a sticky if not all ready done. I'm sure many are setting icons like this and having trouble. Thanks
    02-25-12 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD