Am I crazy, or is it fracking annoying using a touch screen to navigate some websites?
    There's not enough margin or empty space to scroll on with your fingers. Every time you touch the screen another window opens up and you have to close it and go back to where you were. I am so surprised with google, their buttons in maps and in gmail are so hard to get a response out of. sometimes I find myself poking the screen with my finger like I was trying to drive in a nail or something. realizing it doesnt matter how hard I touch it, it doesn't make any difference, its just conductivity not force. is it the interface that's the problem or is it web designers who are still living in 2008? I do 90% of my browsing on my playbook.

anyone with similar experiences?

PS. moving images inside of frames without moving the whole page... annoying. example: google map search brings up a list of local business with a map next to the list. I touch the map and start to scroll the map left to right within the frame, then up and down but the entire page moves with it.
    Am I crazy or is this frustrating. I imagine hurling my playbook across the room into the brick fireplace, but then I would miss Mahjong Legends too much.

Love/hate relationship with my Playbook
    06-20-11 12:46 AM
    If you are trying to scroll, its best to let the page fully load and then touch a blank area of the screen. That way you don't activate anything.
    06-20-11 06:28 AM
    The Facebook website is incredibly tedious on the Playbook, but I think that's just bad design on Facebook's part rather than any failing by RIM. Facebook has so many popups and overlays, and the facebook chat bar, and that new photo viewer with the black background, it ends up rendering funny on the PB - also, the Facebook site has a lot of things you need to mouseover to make them appear, like the 'X' to delete posts or the 'X' to close the photo viewer. You can't mouseover on the PB, so these icons never appear.
    06-20-11 06:44 AM
    Take advantage of bezel scrolling. Really quite a nifty feature.
    06-20-11 08:21 AM
    Take advantage of bezel scrolling. Really quite a nifty feature.
    Huh, guess there are owners that don't know how it works. Sounds like a great way to avoid it.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-20-11 at 08:26 AM. Reason: add are
    06-20-11 08:26 AM
    I have to agree that certain web sites are a total pain when trying to scroll the page and not open a link. I guess I don't understand the underlying "coding" since there are "sensitive links" and "less or non-sensitive links." That is I will purposedly click a link and it highlights but does not necessarily immediately open the link - a second tap works. Then there are those "flash ad" links - where don't even look at it as it will open a new tab, well, "in a flash!" So there must be some coding difference.

I have not gotten the hang of the bezel scrolling down pat - you touch the screen and while in contact, slide finger to bezel and scroll up/down. Loss of contact, scroll stops. (it works in some other apps, too. like contact app)
    prebetsabu likes this.
    06-20-11 09:59 AM
    If you are trying to scroll, its best to let the page fully load and then touch a blank area of the screen. That way you don't activate anything.

Good advice. What I find annoying is that even when you let the page load and you scroll down everytime you try to scroll up checkboarding is pretty evident.
    06-20-11 10:05 AM
    every website on any touch screen is very tedious, curse these fat fingers!!!!! the only advantage i see with the bb phones over every other phone is that ugly track pad. but yeagh with anoff practice you get pretty accurate with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 10:57 AM
    Unfortunately, It's PB another unique feature.
    As I said b4, I never have such bad experience on ipad1. Apple does know what clicking and scrolling is.
    Last edited by xwestwood; 06-20-11 at 11:08 AM.
    06-20-11 11:06 AM
    Most web pages are still designed for use with a mouse and will be for some time to come. I guess that is one reason why apps are so popular on touch screen devices.
    06-20-11 11:10 AM
    The touch UI could probably use a bit of tweaking. Normally, when browsing websites on a touchscreen, even if you plop your finger down smack dab on the center of an object like a link, it shouldn't register as a 'click' until you take your finger off it, drag your finger to scroll (which would then trigger the scroll instead of a click), or remain motionless for a couple seconds (long press resulting in a right-click).
    06-20-11 11:15 AM
    User experience navigating the "basic web" is one area where the PlayBook lags far behind the iPad. RIM could do a far better job with touch inputs and rendering. It's even a step behind Android in usability.
    06-20-11 01:35 PM
    User experience navigating the "basic web" is one area where the PlayBook lags far behind the iPad. RIM could do a far better job with touch inputs and rendering. It's even a step behind Android in usability.
    Ipad doesn't even offer the basic web. Frankly, I have problem navigating web pages with the PB. I learned how deal with touchy flash ads in about 10 seconds. What the **** is the matter with you people?
    06-20-11 02:10 PM
    By basic web, I mean the ability to organize bookmarks, the ability to store and autofill text and passwords, the ability to accurately tap links, the ability to accurately resize content in one try with a double-tap, the ability to scroll over content without triggering taps on underlying links, smooth scrolling, fast orientation change updates, and the ability to scroll with fast content rendering that does not involve lots of checkerboarding. These are all areas where the PlayBook browser either fails or needs massive improvement compared to iOS and Android devices. Some are related to the touchscreen user interface and software maturity, others are just basic features. This is all obvious to anyone who browses the same website on these devices.

I could organize bookmarks on the Mosaic Browser in 1992. There's no excuse why this capability is missing from the PlayBook in 2011. That is a basic web browsing feature.
    06-20-11 02:21 PM
    Good advice. What I find annoying is that even when you let the page load and you scroll down everytime you try to scroll up checkboarding is pretty evident.
    Not when you let the page fully load. Once the "blue line" disappears, I don't find checkerboarding an issue.

To help you be more accurate in tapping a link or a button, expand it.
    06-20-11 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD