Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance but I just need some advice on the Playbook before purchasing. I visited Currys in the UK this evening to have a look at the Playbook as the price is exceptional at the moment. However when switching on it immediately asked for a Wi-Fi connection and I couldn't find a way of clearing this screen; therefore I asked the assistant for a bit of help and he advised that they didn't have a Wi-Fi connection to use. I tried to explain to him that I wasn't interested in the Wi-Fi and that I just wanted to access some of the other features i.e Spreadsheets etc to see how they worked. He advised that unless you have a Wi-Fi connection it is not possible to access any of the Playbook's features, when I queried it with him he confirmed this is the case and is the biggest drawback of the Playbook.

I can't believe this information is correct surely, I need to be able to access spreadsheets, Word etc while in an office basement when on site and then send this information when a Wi-Fi connection is available or using Bridge when back at street level. If the assistant is correct the Playbook would be no good for my needs.

Can anyone please advise if the assistant is correct or put my mind at ease as in all other instances the Playbook seems perfect for my needs?

Kind Regards

Mark
    10-29-12 04:19 PM
    That information is not correct.
    When you purchase a Playbook and turn it on, you must go through the initial setup up, which will require wifi to update the operating system, register your BlackBerry ID etc. Obviously, the store does not have wifi available. Once the set up is complete, most Playbook functions are available without wifi.

I work with word docs, spreadsheets, presentations and pdfs without wifi almost everyday.
    island par and dieselracer13 like this.
    10-29-12 04:30 PM
    Well he is part right. I think, though someone can probably confirm, you do have to have a wifi connection to get past the setup screen to access things, but once you have it setup you don't need wifi.
    dieselracer13 likes this.
    10-29-12 04:38 PM
    I've even heard that in more recent releases of the PB OS, they are doing away with the need to get all the way through the download of new SW before allowing users to play with their PlayBook. I well remember stopping outside a coffee shop with my first playbook at 7am on the day of release to download the initial OS. Took all of 20 minutes and it has never been shut down since (rebooted but never shut down).
    10-29-12 06:57 PM
    That information is not correct.
    When you purchase a Playbook and turn it on, you must go through the initial setup up, which will require wifi to update the operating system, register your BlackBerry ID etc. Obviously, the store does not have wifi available. Once the set up is complete, most Playbook functions are available without wifi.

I work with word docs, spreadsheets, presentations and pdfs without wifi almost everyday.
    I agree with this, a wifi only playbook obviously needs to be connected to wifi for initial setup. After that whatever is already on the playbook is accessible without wifi, except of course not web browsing, why, because web browsing requires internet and internet requires wifi. Buy it man, buy it!!
    10-29-12 07:06 PM
    The store is to fault for the misleading information, if you have a demo product on your shelf, have it set up for the true demo!!!! Lots of stores will do things like this for favortisim. I bet the maxi and mini pads' oops I mean the ipads, had been turned on and gone through their initial setep, as well as have access to the wifi network! Just sucks to see when a consumer goes into a store to demo a computer or tablet device, you almost have to gamble on a impulse buy.

Once the initial setup is done, you DO NOT need to have wifi to work locally, just like any laptop or desktop out of the box you have to do a setup! Get the playbook and enjoy the secret experience the rest of us lucky users are enjoying!!!
    bldshd and dieselracer13 like this.
    10-29-12 07:19 PM
    The store is to fault for the misleading information, if you have a demo product on your shelf, have it set up for the true demo!!!! Lots of stores will do things like this for favortisim. I bet the maxi and mini pads' oops I mean the ipads, had been turned on and gone through their initial setep, as well as have access to the wifi network! Just sucks to see when a consumer goes into a store to demo a computer or tablet device, you almost have to gamble on a impulse buy.

Once the initial setup is done, you DO NOT need to have wifi to work locally, just like any laptop or desktop out of the box you have to do a setup! Get the playbook and enjoy the secret experience the rest of us lucky users are enjoying!!!
    Hooked up to the non-existant wifi right?

Attachment 124149
    10-29-12 07:22 PM
    Hooked up to the non-existant wifi right?

Attachment 124149
    How often do you walk a electronic section??? How often do you set up a electronic device??? You do know what I mean by initial setup right?? And why is a major apple fan ( yes I follow your one sided posts quite often about apple on BLACKBERRY forums) even commenting about the playbook setup? I have been in best buy and futureshop stores that had the apple devices all set up and working but the android and blackberry tablets not even powered on. Again the stores fault for not pleasing the consumer. It's not rocket science, get your stuff set up for sales!!!
    10-29-12 07:28 PM
    How often do you walk a electronic section??? How often do you set up a electronic device??? You do know what I mean by initial setup right?? And why is a major apple fan ( yes I follow your one sided posts quite often about apple on BLACKBERRY forums) even commenting about the playbook setup? I have been in best buy and futureshop stores that had the apple devices all set up and working but the android and blackberry tablets not even powered on. Again the stores fault for not pleasing the consumer. It's not rocket science, get your stuff set up for sales!!!
    Chill out champ, the OP was told there was no wifi available, I was only referring to that.

Lol, oh you're one of THOSE people, I forgot. You decide who can post on a public forum, right? I'm flattered that you follow me though, it's like I have groupies!
    bldshd and dieselracer13 like this.
    10-29-12 07:38 PM
    Chill out champ, the OP was told there was no wifi available, I was only referring to that.

Lol, oh you're one of THOSE people, I forgot. You decide who can post on a public forum, right? I'm flattered that you follow me though, it's like I have groupies!
    Good call Mikeo007, your right I jumped the gun and didnt really let what I read sink in before I posted! Kinda like posting blind. I mistook your post about the wifi. I thought you were taking a shot at my post. Must be another full moon monday. Hopefully no harm no foul! But frustrating how retail is to us consumers shelling out our hard earned money for electronics!!! Get it working@!
    10-29-12 07:43 PM
    Sales reps only know about the devices they like.. They'll tell u anything jus.to get u to buy a different (more expensive) product. The PlayBook is awesome & he was absolutely wrong. Buy it you will love it. Its definitely worth the price. Im BlackBerry By Choice but ive tried friends & families other tablets but none of them ever had me wanna jump ship & get something other then a PlayBook. The PlayBook is the most underrated device ever IMHO.. Lacks some apps but all around a great piece of technology. Only to keep getting better.get it u wont regret it
    10-30-12 01:13 AM
    Well he is part right. I think, though someone can probably confirm, you do have to have a wifi connection to get past the setup screen to access things, but once you have it setup you don't need wifi.
    This is correct
    10-30-12 01:14 AM
    I agree with this, a wifi only playbook obviously needs to be connected to wifi for initial setup. After that whatever is already on the playbook is accessible without wifi, except of course not web browsing, why, because web browsing requires internet and internet requires wifi. Buy it man, buy it!!
    Or just BlackBerry Bridge for web browsing
    10-30-12 01:15 AM

Funny
    10-30-12 01:18 AM
    Thanks for all the responses Guys, woke up this morning to a raft of answers that have really put to rest any fears. Looking forward to getting the Playbook now and hopefully being able to contribute to this forum.

Kind Regards

Mark
    10-30-12 03:18 AM
    Currys staff... shakes head!

Go online, fire up PC World site and reserve a 64gb Model to pickup in store. Then in a couple of hours go to the sales desk at the front of the shop, and the till monkey will have it behind the counter meaning minimal miss-information from "expert" sales staff. Although said till monkey will try to sell you a half price (but marked up to full RRP before discount meaning its at least as cheap to buy online) and a warranty pack because if it breaks you'll need to send the Playbook back to Blackberry itself (I am quoting actual sales patter, I did ask "oh right, not back to RIM then?" cue clueless look from till monkey).

Oh and be quick, because they are selling out pretty quickly from what I've seen.
    10-30-12 08:01 AM
    Went into PC world today to be told they only have the 64GB model left. So if you want one be quick.
    10-30-12 08:17 AM
    I have been in best buy and futureshop stores that had the apple devices all set up and working but the android and blackberry tablets not even powered on. Again the stores fault for not pleasing the consumer. It's not rocket science, get your stuff set up for sales!!!
    There's a simple answer. Retailers almost never do jack to promote products unless paid. Futureshop and Best Buy also often have Apple employees in them paid by Apple to answer questions, keep the displays nice, train the staff etc. RIM and the others would have to shell out to have someone in there to do the same.
    10-30-12 08:24 AM
    I got 64GB, go for it !
    10-30-12 11:44 AM
    Just a couple of more questions for now guys. At the moment I'm stuck with a Windows Phone but will be reverting back to a Blackberry at the next change, is it possible to tether the Playbook to other phones without Blackberry Bridge for internet access?

Also with my old Blackberry phone it used to integrate seamlessly with Microsoft Outlook contacts and calendar on my PC, will the Playbook do the same with the latest OS 2.1?

Thanks Mark
    10-30-12 03:21 PM
    If your phone can act as a wifi hotspot then yes the playbook can get internet anywhere. I tether my Playbook to my Samsung Galaxy Tab with 3g.
    10-30-12 04:27 PM
    Thanks SonySandy, I'll have to delve into the Windows Phone a bit further.

Cheers, Mark
    10-31-12 03:20 AM
    Yes you can tether but you won't be able to use BIS
    10-31-12 03:45 AM
    Thanks Ishaq786
    Cheers, Mark
    10-31-12 02:59 PM