Hello. Has anyone had any recent experience with the Advanced Exchange RMA option for warranty? I was wondering if RIM sent you a new or a refurbished unit? If it was new, was it in retail box?

Also, I applied for the $100 Back to School promo (all paperwork mailed about 20 days ago). Now, as I have to send my original Playbook back, do you think I will still get the $100 MC card? Thanks.
    10-15-11 03:37 PM
    i would hope if you sent it in 20 days ago that is will be processed soon and sent out to you. Sometiimes those take longer but generally less than a month.

Having to RMA out the device should have no effect on the rebate at all. Stories differ from person to person about the process. Some get their original playbook back and other have gotten a new or refurbed playbook.

Good luck on both, it should work out fine for you
    ferganer likes this.
    10-15-11 03:54 PM
    I just did an advanced RMA a few weeks ago. I received what appeared to be a new Playbook (device only) in a box with a prepaid return label. Take the new one out and put yours in and ship it back. When I finished setup, I reinstalled the Battery Guru app which reported the battery health was only 90 percent. So, I'm not sure if it was brand new or a refurb. It certainly looked brand new and, after 25 recharges, it is still reporting 90%.

As far as the rebate is concerned, the terms and conditions of the rebate specifies that you must notify them of any exchange. You can send an email to tradein @ twsmail1 .com. This is the third party company handling the rebate. Be sure to explain that you're doing an advanced exchange so they know you don't have new retail packaging with UPC codes. They will note the exchange and continue to process your rebate normally.
    ferganer likes this.
    10-15-11 04:32 PM
    Thanks guys.

I just placed my RMA order. The CS rep was extremely helpful. Anyhow, my main concern is the battery health on the refurbished unit. I really don't know whether the previous owner abused it. I am really hoping that it will still have the battery with at least 90% health. Mine is 94% btw with only 3 cycles.
    Last edited by ferganer; 11-14-11 at 10:44 PM.
    10-15-11 07:44 PM
    i got a replacement for my PB. Don't know if it is new or refub. it has to be a newer one because the power button is raised up about 1/16".

So how do you test the battery?
    10-15-11 10:37 PM
    i did a rma. i think it was a refurb but hard to tell. my power button is also raised higher.
    10-15-11 11:27 PM
    Buy Peter's Battery Guru app. Aside from the fact that he's created some incredibly useful tools for developers that made pre-launch testing outside the simulator easy, it's one of those utility apps that I leave on all the time. It's worth the money and will easily idnetify periods of unusual battery drain. Plus it always reports the current battery life, the battery health percent, the number of charges and the actual power being put out by the battery.

Buy the app and report back here what the battery health is for your RMA Playbooks. He's a very knowledgable developer and it's worth more than he couple of dollars you'll spend on it. He doesn't plug it in his sig, so I'm taking this opportunity to plug it for him.

*EDIT* My RMA replacement also had a higher power button and took a smaller download to bring it to the current update. That's why I assumed it was new. But then I saw the 90% battery health. That was what gave it away.
    10-16-11 12:26 AM
    Buy the app and report back here what the battery health is for your RMA Playbooks.
    Yes, please, let us know what your battery health is as this will allow others to make a more informed decision when they have to choose between the Same Unit Repair RMA and the Advanced Exchange RMA. Thanks.
    10-16-11 02:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD