Guys,

I think that it isn't possible to connect to an ad hoc network generated by the Win XP from playbook. Anyone know a workaround to this?

I am having a wifi network at the office that require physical token to connect, which makes tablet impossible to connect with.

I'd LOVE to be able to use it as a remote for powerpoint presentations, or access remote desktop or do any sort of wonderful things that are available over wifi connection, but I can't.

I was thinking about some software that could either create an ad hoc network, that the tablet would recognize, or turn my laptop into some kind of hotspot, preferably accessing the internet over the wired connection. Can any of this could be done?
    02-03-12 04:50 AM
    From what I've tried, the Playbook doesn't see Ad-Hoc connections at all, only infrastructure. If you have an Intel WiFi card in your laptop you can create an infrastructure personal network that the Playbook can see with Intel My WiFi.
    02-03-12 04:57 AM
    There's a program called "Conectify" you can use.
    It creates a real wi-fi hotspot and your playbook should be able to connect to it.

(I didn't test but I heard it does so...try it :P nothing to lose)
    02-03-12 04:58 AM
    From what I've tried, the Playbook doesn't see Ad-Hoc connections at all, only infrastructure. If you have an Intel WiFi card in your laptop you can create an infrastructure personal network that the Playbook can see with Intel My WiFi.
    How you create an infrastructure personal network? It's an intel provided software or something generic that you can download?
    02-03-12 05:08 AM
    There's a program called "Conectify" you can use.
    It creates a real wi-fi hotspot and your playbook should be able to connect to it.

(I didn't test but I heard it does so...try it :P nothing to lose)
    I tested it this mornign. Doesn't work. Actually I couldn't start the hotspot at all, it defaulted to sharing internet, without possibility to change it, and since sharing is only an option in pro version I was unable to do so. So I deinstalled.

I've later tried to setup some other hotspot - (MyWIFIZone) but it seems, that does takeover my main internet connection, I can't setup which is subnet and which is external link.

It was so simple on the Linux 10 years ago That I still can't setup it properly and easily in WinXP simply amaze me.
    02-03-12 05:11 AM
    02-03-12 05:57 AM
    I wish the PB could generate an adhoc network itself. I wonder why tablets in general can't do this? I could then use Handylight to share my iPhone data with it.
    todbanner likes this.
    02-03-12 06:55 AM
    IF there is a developer that would be able to develop (or kluge) a way to be able to connect with an Eye-Fi card (which is used for wireless transfer of digital images to your pc WITHOUT a physical teather cable), then the BB PB could be used as a personal monitor for my clients to sit and watch the images come through as they are shot.

Then they could flag the images they like, and make things easier for selection and composition setups etc.

I know I/we/they would pay for it. I would not bat an "Eye-Fi" (I know bad pun, but still groggy from the Grog) to drop a C note on it. It would give semi and pro photogs a new tool and they would jump on it.

I gaurantee.

Any developers interested? I would supply the eye-fi card to assist, and you can keep when app is released.

Carl
    02-03-12 10:48 AM
    I use a Zonet ZSR4174WE portable Access Point / Router.
    You can connect it to a wired network then connect your Playbook to the AP.
    If your employer has their WiFi protected the way they do they probably aren't going to want you connecting an Access Point to their network though.
    02-03-12 04:57 PM
    I have the same problem at work. My company discourages non-company devices connecting to company WIFI network. Personal devices were able to hook up a few year back but the policy changed and now my personal laptop is hooked up via a router. I have a Win7 Touch pad that has an Ethernet connection but I never bring it to work. It is just silly to have a hand held device hooked up with an Ethernet line. I’ve tried to make an Ad hoc connection with my Laptop and Playbook but without success. I have to use my Samsung Android phone to provide data connection for my Playbook.

Yesterday, the Zonet ZSR4174WE Wireless-N Portable AP Router I bought from Ebay arrived. This morning I took the router to work and SUCCESS! I did spent some time figuring how to add the correct proxy to the connection.

I have not figure out how to set up the password on the router yet but it worked as an open network. Next is to set up a password for the router.

Anyone who has a similar problem should give this router a try.
    03-02-12 09:26 PM
    So you connected an unsecured non-company device to your company's network that's broadcasting an open ssid?
    03-02-12 09:35 PM
    I am in my own hard wall office which is separated. I only hooked it up and set it up to see if it would work. I am in a secured building and there is no outsider. I did not have time to set up the password but Ill set it up before I use it again.
    03-02-12 09:45 PM
    meh, who cares, it's likely a large corporation that would throw him out on the street if it would prevent the CEO from having to cut his own pay by a dime.
    03-02-12 10:22 PM
    Use a small program called Virtual Router. Problem solved.
    06-24-12 12:00 PM
    I wish the PB could generate an adhoc network itself. I wonder why tablets in general can't do this? I could then use Handylight to share my iPhone data with it.
    This is what I want.

PB bridges to bb and uses data at no additional charge. What I want then is an ability for the PB to create a wifi network for my Android tablet and or my netbook to connect to. This way I wouldn't have to pay the crazy rates attention charge for their tethering plan.

Thoughts?
    07-18-12 12:48 AM
    attaching a personal wifi router (or any similar device) to the network at my company would get a written warning at the very least, as ICT Manager I'd be pushing for dismissal. The security implications of an individual putting their own wireless routers on a corporate network are immense.
    10-05-12 04:44 AM
    my Nokia N8 tethers perfectly to my Playbook, I'm with O2 and have unlimited data (although it's not "strictly" unlimited as I think they have a 1 GB per month fair usage policy). Either way it's ok for what I want which is usually some browsing and email access when mobile. There's no tethering charge.

I was really worried when doing the update that it would break the ability to tether to non blackberry phones as it would've limited the usefulness immensly and I've never gotten along with blackberry phones preferring the nokias
    10-05-12 05:05 AM
    Traditionally, BlackBerry has always forbidden ad-hoc wifi connections for security reasons. I'd imagine that's why you still need Bluetooth for Bridge. They allow wifi to be utilized in that case, but it's not a true ad-hoc, as the bridge is managed via BT. It'd be interesting to see if an app like that would be approved in AppWorld.
    10-05-12 10:36 AM
    I connect my PB to my personal laptop all the time. My laptop is running Win7 and the netcard allows windows to set up a virtual wifi connection even when connected through the same card to the router.

I use some batch files I set up to use the netsh command and setup and start a hostednetwork. I then share my existing connection with the new wireless network.

This comes in very handy in hotels as I only have to set up my laptop to connect to the wired or wireless provided and all of my personal wireless devices then connect to it.

I have not tried to do this on my work laptop but i will give it a try today (it runs windows XP)

BTW I am sending this from my PB connected through my laptop which is connected to my router .

EDIT: Netsh in XP does not support this...
    Last edited by Ned_Flanders; 10-05-12 at 03:21 PM.
    10-05-12 03:04 PM
    what the phunk, u can connect from the laptop to the blackberry hotspot but in the other way dosn t work, i mean who are the inteligent people who thought this out))=))
    09-11-13 12:47 PM
    A Blackberry will connect to most hotspots.
    What software are you using on the laptop to create a hotspot?
    09-11-13 09:10 PM
    I made an ad-hoc connection from my laptop Intel Celeron windows 7, 32 bytes and I have a z10 stl-1, my phone doesn't find the ad-hoc connection I think it is an radio restriction I tried even manually connection and doesn't work

Os 10.2.0.1521 Stl-1
    09-12-13 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD