BlackBerry PlayBook (hands-on photos) | 4 of 12

not sure what the white strip is (NFC sensor?)
    port to the far left is MicroHDMI
    Port to the far right is charging pad maybe?
    middle port appears to be more rectangular than a standard microUSB port, meaning that it just may be a Micro USB OTG Port!
    Last edited by grahamf; 01-06-11 at 03:43 AM.
    01-06-11 03:25 AM
    According to Blackberry it will have it (http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...layBook_v5.pdf)!
    01-06-11 04:30 AM
    I stand corrected. If you look closer the top corners are beveled, meaning it's a USB b port, and not a USB port.

So,
    No means of plugging in SD cards
    No means of adding additional capabilities via a "module cavity"
    No means of using the PlayBook as a USB host, for connecting to USB drives and stuff.

I'll probably still buy it if there's nothing good that's cheaper, but these three things were what I was hoping for, even if they were unused at launch but enabled in a SW update.

If it came with the hardware but not the software to support it, then I'd understand.
    But this is showing that RIM isn't planning on adding USB OTG/SDcards/expansion to the PlayBook.
    01-12-11 10:29 PM
    According to Blackberry it will have it (http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...layBook_v5.pdf)!
    Just having USB port doesn't make it OTG. Without it, I won't commit to this.
    01-13-11 05:57 AM
    Those corners don't look beveled enough to be a Micro B port, AB still has rounded corners. Additionally, Lazaridis said they'll support ethernet through USB. You can see the thread about this at http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/ce...aridis-573983/ . I'm pretty confident the PlayBook will have USB OTG.
    01-13-11 04:20 PM
    The PB looks so slim. Me likey....
    01-13-11 04:30 PM
    OK, I'll bite...what is the 'OTG' part of 'USB OTG'?
    01-13-11 07:14 PM
    on the go

10char
    01-13-11 07:18 PM
    on the go

10char
    Wow, I'd never heard of this before....thanks
    01-13-11 07:19 PM
    OTG is for On-The-Go

this means that the device can act as Host or peripheral depending on what end of the cable (A or B) it is connected.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    01-13-11 07:26 PM
    Well I just learned something new! Thanks tigo30.
    01-13-11 07:31 PM
    Thanks tigo30. I didn't know that.
    01-13-11 09:28 PM
    So has there been confirmation that the PlayBook will have USB OTG? Also, if it ends up having it, does that mean that we could attach an SD card reader USB adapter to the PlayBook? For me the 64gb version should be enough, but I know that a lot of people are complaining about this not having removable memory.

I just see a nice use for it by photographers for example. They are out on a shoot somewhere rural and instead of waiting until you get back to a computer to show the pictures you can just pull your PlayBook out of your jacket pocket and go. It would actually make a good commercial for the PlayBook as well. Really show how a professional on the go can benefit with the PlayBook.
    02-03-11 11:34 AM
    So has there been confirmation that the PlayBook will have USB OTG? Also, if it ends up having it, does that mean that we could attach an SD card reader USB adapter to the PlayBook? For me the 64gb version should be enough, but I know that a lot of people are complaining about this not having removable memory.

I just see a nice use for it by photographers for example. They are out on a shoot somewhere rural and instead of waiting until you get back to a computer to show the pictures you can just pull your PlayBook out of your jacket pocket and go. It would actually make a good commercial for the PlayBook as well. Really show how a professional on the go can benefit with the PlayBook.
    If it does work, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing with it.
    02-03-11 11:45 AM
    If it does work, this is exactly what I'm planning on doing with it.
    You should email RIM and get in the commercial.
    02-03-11 11:48 AM
    The PB looks so slim. Me likey....
    Exactly what I was thinking
    02-03-11 12:34 PM
    It looks nice and very pleasing to the eye. Not a lot of distractions.

The Toshiba tablet that been talked about. I wouldn't buy simply because of that chrome looking on the front by the camera. For some reason that bugs me.
    02-03-11 12:40 PM

That would really be cool, cables hanging out to use your sd card. Now we have three items to drag around, just to support one that is lacking.
    02-03-11 01:26 PM
    That would really be cool, cables hanging out to use your sd card. Now we have three items to drag around, just to support one that is lacking.
    Dang grncherry, take a Prozac, you're always so negative about everything. Besides even the Xoom or any other tablet right now doesn't have a standard SD card slot that my camera uses. And the PlayBook is lacking? what do you want? It has the best specs of any tablet coming out.

Anyways... If the PlayBook has USB OTG, that would provide a lot of benefits besides just this one. Can't wait to get a PlayBook!
    02-03-11 02:45 PM
    the specs are on par with other tablets. they are not better or worse really
    02-03-11 02:47 PM
    Dang grncherry, take a Prozac, you're always so negative about everything. Besides even the Xoom or any other tablet right now doesn't have a standard SD card slot that my camera uses. And the PlayBook is lacking? what do you want? It has the best specs of any tablet coming out.

Anyways... If the PlayBook has USB OTG, that would provide a lot of benefits besides just this one. Can't wait to get a PlayBook!
    Ok, Prozac kicking in..............I will buy whatever they think I need, I will just live with it. I don't need or want anything better, I'm fine.
    02-03-11 02:48 PM
    Sounds more like you're a Borg rather than taking Prozac
    02-03-11 02:51 PM
    the specs are on par with other tablets. they are not better or worse really
    I see what you mean by on par, but for me (not the same for everyone) 1080p video playback and a form factor that is under a pound and fits in my blazer pocket puts in on top for me.
    02-03-11 03:00 PM
    Speaking of 1080p. I have a question for those who may know. How big with movie sizes be? Also is 1080p that noticeable on tablet screens vs 720p?
    02-03-11 03:37 PM
    The PB screen is not 1080. It will out put 1080 video. The screen res is 1024x800.
    02-03-11 03:43 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD