Hey! I was wondering if I should get a playbook and maybe u could help me. I need it only to watch movies (can I download movies to it?) also to read an ebook and some social apps like Facebook. I have one in sight so if you sell me I'll make the purchase right away.
    Thank you!!
    12-28-14 12:18 AM
    Some may argue otherwise, but I think you should look elsewhere. Primarily because BlackBerry is no longer supporting the device - and app support from Devs will likely follow suit.

You can transfer movies to it, yes - but there is no video store to download (rent/purchase) videos to the device.

There are social apps like Facebook, but Facebook for instance will not be updated any longer. The website itself via the browser might be a better option.

Posted via CB10
    francisco_2014 likes this.
    12-28-14 12:27 AM
    Some may argue otherwise, but I think you should look elsewhere. Primarily because BlackBerry is no longer supporting the device - and app support from Devs will likely follow suit.

You can transfer movies to it, yes - but there is no video store to download (rent/purchase) videos to the device.

There are social apps like Facebook, but Facebook for instance will not be updated any longer. The website itself via the browser might be a better option.

Posted via CB10
    I see the point. I don't really care about blackberry not supporting it (so sad it won't get bb10) but I only need it to transfer movies from my computer to it and watch them on the go. Androids are a bit laggy so I'm in between buying and not buying it :/
    12-28-14 12:29 AM
    I'm a long time user and own 3 and still love them. However, I couldn't recommend them now. The dropped support particularly from the Video Store app would really cramp your choices for movies. A more mainstream tablet might serve better at this point sorry to say.
    francisco_2014 likes this.
    12-28-14 10:17 AM
    It's no longer supported by BlackBerry. It was a decent tablet in it's time, but unless you're using it for just Internet browsing and select games it isn't worth purchasing.

I love BlackBerry and have two PlayBooks myself, but I can't recommend you this device unless you can find one for like $50.

Posted from my  BlackBerry Z30
    12-28-14 09:39 PM
    I have a PlayBook also and just took it out of the draw to get some pictures off of it. I wouldn't suggest getting one, The days of the PlayBook are but a distant memory...sad to say
    12-28-14 10:42 PM
    I still use mine, you can convert any movie to play on your playbook. Just search free converters if the movie you want to watch isnt compatible

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-28-14 10:46 PM
    My absolute definitive answer is "it depends"...largely on the price that you are picking it up for. For really cheap, it will do what you are looking for (in terms of an ebook reader and video player). That's mainly what I use mine for to be honest, and it does the job well. Needs some apps, though. If all of your videos are avi or mp4, then you should be okay with the stock video player. If you have MKV or other formats, best to buy Kalemsoft media player. For ebook reading, some sideload I think the Kindle app. I have used Moon+reader (android sideload), but ended up getting PlayEpub from the BB store. For videos, you can sideload an app called "Showbox". The downloads aren't lightning fast, but you can get movies d/l directly to your playbook.

Like I said, for the right price, this is a capable unit for specific uses; as long as you don't expect future updates and all that. I've had mine for two years, and while I would like to move on, I can't justify the price for what I'd like to buy to replace it (MS Surface...different beast, I know). Reason I like mine? Good price, capable, very good construction, and I don't worry about throwing it in the bag to work on a daily basis, or kids getting on it and playing with it. Worst case if kids break it? Daddy gets an upgrade and kids and play on the iPad...
    12-29-14 12:04 PM
    If you want to transfer movies from a computer the 64gb version is a reasonable choice. Still a good screen, the best tablet speakers out there and HDMI out.

But since there is no SD card slot, get the 64gb version as it will let you store the most media.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-14 09:24 AM