Before we all go wild on the PlayBook for not having BB10 released for it, maybe we could get some good suggestions for the BlackBerry guys to work on.

So what are we really looking for in our current PlayBook? Definitely a better browser... maybe the integration of BBM and then what?

I think it is still an awesome device.

Posted from the awesome Z10
    06-28-13 09:16 AM
    Bridge brought back to its former glory!

BB10, Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    06-28-13 09:17 AM
    The BB10 - PB Bridge issue isn't a PB issue, it's a BB10 issue. If you look at the general BB10 program in the beta zone, one of the feedback options is to make Bridge like legacy devices. So I do believe it is coming

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    06-28-13 09:21 AM
    Bridge brought back to its former glory!

BB10, Z10
    Good point, I heard a lot of people mentioning it. I don't really know what the former bridge was looking like but from all the people who mentioned it, I should realize that it was better then it is now.
    06-28-13 09:22 AM
    The BB10 - PB Bridge issue isn't a PB issue, it's a BB10 issue. If you look at the general BB10 program in the beta zone, one of the feedback options is to make Bridge like legacy devices. So I do believe it is coming

Posted via my Q10 SQN100-1
    Okay, that's reasonable... But what do you think BBRY should do to keep the heartbeat going on the PlayBook?
    06-28-13 09:23 AM
    OTG
    BB10 like browser
    JellyBean runtime
    Asian language input...
    playbook_swiper1 likes this.
    06-28-13 09:23 AM
    Yeah everyone is pissing their pants and throwing fits because bb10 isn't coming to playbook.... the important part is whether they continue to update the browser, android runtime and a fully featured bridge for bb10.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-28-13 09:26 AM
    BB10 like browser
    JellyBean runtime
    These two alone. Maybe access to the AppWorld apps on BB10 would be pushing it. But just a browser that is similar and stable like BB10...
    06-28-13 09:26 AM
    From the top of my head

better browser
    BBM integration
    Cascades implementation
    The ability to run BB10 apps. Since the core of OS2.1 and BB10 are the same, I don't see why this shouldn't be possible.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 09:27 AM
    We only need cascades support, a decent browser, good bridge functionality and the New BlackBerry world to make it much better in my eyes.

Sent from my LT26i using CB Forums mobile app
    bigjman likes this.
    06-28-13 09:30 AM
    Yeah everyone is pissing their pants and throwing fits because bb10 isn't coming to playbook.... the important part is whether they continue to update the browser, android runtime and a fully featured bridge for bb10.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking.

It looks like people can't handle disappointment of not having BB10 on a 'legacy' device... It's something that we have to deal with at this moment and that's period. So don't throw the towel in the ring, but try to make the best of it. Like what I said in the OP, it's still a good working device, but with some needed tweaks/upgrades of some apps.
    06-28-13 09:33 AM
    I dont understand, why could they not have released that and still called it BB10. They would have gotten away with the negative feedback. After all, I would not have liked the phones UI on the tablet.

06-28-13 09:37 AM
    Update the browser, the android runtime and the keyboard, and I think I'd be fairly happy. If anything could be done to improve the battery life then that'd be a bonus.
    06-28-13 09:38 AM
    I dont understand, why could they not have released that and still called it BB10. They would have gotten away with the negative feedback. After all, I would not have liked the phones UI on the tablet.
    Huh UI doesn't equate the OS. It could still have the exact same ui and run under bb10 code but it wasn't working obviously.

06-28-13 09:39 AM
    Huh UI doesn't equate the OS. It could still have the exact same ui and run under bb10 code but it wasn't working obviously.

I only mentioned the UI so that they didn't have to put in a lot of effort. They could have made few additions to the PlayBook OS such as the browser, cascades and runtime and could have delivered it to us as BB10.
    That surely would have saved them a lot of flak.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    06-28-13 09:47 AM
    BB10 Keyboard.
    BBM
    Ability to run BB10 apps
    Jelly Bean

I hope BBM comes to the PB in the next update.
    I would be really pissed to see BBM come to Android/iOS first
    06-28-13 09:56 AM
    - bbm
    - usb otg
    06-28-13 09:56 AM
    It's also kinda sad to see that they are not capable of 'marketing' this inconvenience away, by telling us what the development intends to add in a next update?

So first BBRY is telling us that BB10 is coming to the PlayBook and then revert this statement by telling us that it's not coming after all... But then the say there is still some development going on, but without referring to anything... Crappy marketing, crappy... they should know better by now...
    06-28-13 10:17 AM
    I want them to open up the Playbook OS and allow users to port their own OS (Linux, Android) to the hardware. Since they are never going to port BB10 "due to hardware/performance issues", allow the existing owners to still make use of the device's hardware with a different OS. I could think of a million uses for the playbook with a different OS (XBMC, DAW, NAS, Android Tablet).
    06-28-13 10:18 AM
    See this is the type of thread I like (thanks op). Instead of crying/whining about bb10 not coming to the PlayBook, this focuses on what improvements can be added to the os that's already on there. I agree with most of the posts (and I have been saying this in most of those 'bb10 on PlayBook' threads) update the browser and make bridge like (or close as possible) as it was with the legacy devices and I'm good. Is already has more games than I can play on it, handy apps, and movies/tv shows/music plays nice on it.

Posted via CB10
    NoxiousInc likes this.
    06-28-13 10:21 AM
    For developers, it would make sense if BB ported select parts of BB10 to PlayBook, so we can at least use a single codebase for both form factors and keep supporting the PlayBook. These things shouldn't be too hard to port:

• The AIR 3.5 runtime, so we can make use of hardware accelleration;
    • Cascades (or at least a subset), so native BB10 apps can be ported to PlayBook;
    • The updated WebKit browser engine;
    • The Invocation Framework, so we can integrate apps.
    yellowhammer and ukmight like this.
    06-28-13 10:31 AM
    What is the typical lifetime of a tablet - 2, maybe three years? The playbook is alrealy 2 years old. I love mine, but stop trying to blow life into it. I am amazed at the great service we get from Blackberry for the Playbook, if you consider there are only a handful of users. Blackberry go big or go home - bring out an updated tablet already, or the dumb tablet you were hinting at - anything to stay in the market. It doesn't have to be the best (which it can be) but it has to be competitive. Tablets are here to stay. Most of the R & D has probably already been done. I am sure you can release a great product and know by now what the present shortcomings are - just do it! If you dont do it soon, don't bother, and then would that not be a waste of money to continue to support a product that has been discontinued?
    06-28-13 10:34 AM
    Cascades, the browser, BBM or at least restore bridge to the way it was before.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:40 AM
    I have one suggestion

I am selling my pb 32gb lte model

And

Z10

PM me

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 10:48 AM
    Before we all go wild on the PlayBook for not having BB10 released for it, maybe we could get some good suggestions for the BlackBerry guys to work on.
    @NoxiousInc, sorry to be blunt (all respect) but please wake up. PB is dead. There won't be any developments anymore. Heins wants to focus on smartphones (chiclet keyboard etc).
    06-28-13 10:50 AM
32 12