I wouldn't say it was a rant, more statement of truth in a o-snap format.

03-09-11 11:46 PM

hey! i believe the dutch guy with the weird mask and even apple got a telling! i'm in the yes section of the graph :P
    03-09-11 11:50 PM
    I notice that the transition animation within the app is laggy. This is in contrast with the very fluid window sliding animations.

While the window manager is probably native, it appears that apps written by lesser SDKs available such as Air or WebWorks, will not be very smooth, at least not for some time. I'm not into animated transitions, but from a user experience perspective I think that they should either be smooth or not be there at all.
    03-10-11 12:03 AM
    All joking aside, apple is completely controlling. I understand being ok with that but arguing that it isn't the case is off in my opinion. I stopped using iTunes because of this fact a couple years ago. If I were embracing the apple ecosystem then I wouldn't care as much but I'm not. That's my 2 cents and so on.
    The point I'm trying to make is that depending on needs and such, a BB is just as dependent upon DM as an iDevice is on iTunes. I don't like the fact that I have to use iTunes to sync my stuff over instead of just manually putting files on the device via mass storage, but I don't overlook the fact that DM w/Media Manager is very much RIM's iTunes in regards to a utility used for syncing and updating of the OS on their device. I think far too many people got used to iTunes being a music download app before it became a device management app and that's why they can't look past that.

And since we are talking about high quality mp3 files, while I personally rip my stuff at 320k, people won't usually be able to tell the difference with stuff ranging above 192k or 2xxk (variable rate) when listening to it. However, it is nice to know you're paying for the full CD quality of the file, if you will. Other than that, it's just a waste of space really.
    03-10-11 12:35 AM
    @ civic

I believe one of the main differences here is that you will be able to use other music store apps on the playbook (i.e. Amazon MP3 Store) but they might not be integrated as well. Also you are on this rant about DM being just like iTunes when in fact it isn't even close to the same. I bought my iPad and first thing I had to do was hook it up to my PC, right now I don't even have DM installed on my PC or MBP and I went years owning BBs without ever having DM installed on my PC. In fact the only time I ever use DM is when I want to install a new OS on to my BB and thats because I don't want to wait for my carrier to make which ever OS official for my phone!

One last point here is we have already stated that you don't need DM to upgrade the OS of the PB or need DM to put music on the PB so why do you keep going on about it? Take your apple love somewhere else.

Written from my 13inch Macbook Pro
    sf49ers likes this.
    03-10-11 01:39 AM
    Can someone explain to me this "cloud" feature?

When I download a song from 7Digital, does the mp3 get stored on the device AND in the cloud, or just the cloud?

I see the benefit of it being stored in the cloud. But doesn't that mean that if I want to listen to my music that I need a data/WiFi connection and in turn will eat into my monthly data plan/bandwidth?

I'm sort of confused...
    03-10-11 09:09 AM
    Enterprise and consumers will have acsess to different layers of the PB ...once it goes through IT a lot of cpabilities can be made N/A ....very flexible

One trend I have noticed is the Titans of media/app community are staking a big claim on the PB....they wouldn't be leveraging such vast support/investment unless they saw a winner in the platform....and some of the announced partnerships are just that "huge" ....I have a feeling that the limitations of ios are going to be exposed en masse in due course.

I for one see the apple ecosystem as a fragmented experience due to having many apps make up for where the experience/os architecture lacks.....I shouldn't need an app for everything....apps should be a last resort and not crtical to getting things done.....I don't need an" app for that" on my pc....why do I need one on my phone? I like where rim is going with super apps....which are essentialy the equivallent to desktop programs! Support for an ecosytem within an app...that's how I see their take on super apps...and I like that

Lol....rim should trademark..."You don't need an app for that"

Dumbed down os such as ios.....or mobile platform performance upped to replicate desktop performance in qnx.....I choose qnx

Sorry for the rant....just tired of all the propaganda and narrow minded media reports as of late....hit this one out of the park Rim and restore some sanity and remind the industry who's boss! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for the new trademark RIM should definitely take advantage of: You don't need an app for that.

GOLD!
    03-10-11 09:44 AM
    The point I'm trying to make is that depending on needs and such, a BB is just as dependent upon DM as an iDevice is on iTunes. I don't like the fact that I have to use iTunes to sync my stuff over instead of just manually putting files on the device via mass storage, but I don't overlook the fact that DM w/Media Manager is very much RIM's iTunes in regards to a utility used for syncing and updating of the OS on their device. I think far too many people got used to iTunes being a music download app before it became a device management app and that's why they can't look past that.

And since we are talking about high quality mp3 files, while I personally rip my stuff at 320k, people won't usually be able to tell the difference with stuff ranging above 192k or 2xxk (variable rate) when listening to it. However, it is nice to know you're paying for the full CD quality of the file, if you will. Other than that, it's just a waste of space really.
    PB will update OS via OTA. I assume all new QNX phones will as well.
    03-10-11 10:32 AM
    Problem with Amazon is your music is not stored up in the cloud, if you lose the music on your device you lose it for good with no option to recover and the same goes with sharing of the music from the cloud on to other devices. Also 7digital offers high-quality (320kbps) MP3 tracks compared to amazon's 256kbs. 7digital has 13 million songs compared to amazon's 3 million or so. No iTunes is for obvious reasons and also I doubt if iTunes has a cloud and seem it is in the works.
    I guess everyone has money for phones, pads etc. but no one would think of buying an external HD to store/backup their files or music so it all has to be done in the cloud now. I'll keep track of my own stuff, you put yours in the cloud.
    03-10-11 10:51 AM
    i personally like all my music on physically memory also. i do use audiogalaxy to stream my collection to different devices sometimes though too
    03-10-11 11:04 AM
    i like the physical storage as well, but i like the cloud for somethings. for me its all about having options and thats why im all about rim and the pb because i believe it will allow you to choose for yourself. NOT like apple that chooses for you.

kinda like those book back in the day : choose your own destiny lol
    03-10-11 11:11 AM
    Can someone explain to me this "cloud" feature?

When I download a song from 7Digital, does the mp3 get stored on the device AND in the cloud, or just the cloud?

I see the benefit of it being stored in the cloud. But doesn't that mean that if I want to listen to my music that I need a data/WiFi connection and in turn will eat into my monthly data plan/bandwidth?

I'm sort of confused...
    It means you always have wireless access to redownload a song to and device you have that doesn't have/needs to replace a song
    03-10-11 11:51 AM
    I guess everyone has money for phones, pads etc. but no one would think of buying an external HD to store/backup their files or music so it all has to be done in the cloud now. I'll keep track of my own stuff, you put yours in the cloud.
    It's an added bonus and you need not put anything in the cloud manually, all you do is buy the music, download and backup in your harddrive or whatever, added bonus is that 7digital automatically maintains your music catalog up in the cloud, incase you lose your music because of any accidental damage you will be able to retrieve from the cloud using your account. Also It also eases up syncing of music to your other devices directly from the cloud like a computer, a cellphone or a music player. You may even share your account with your family members. It is just foolish to ignore the importance of a cloud service.
    03-10-11 12:38 PM
    This just in...steve jobs wishes itunes had cloud storage!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-11 01:27 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD