If you follow me you know I tweeted earlier that the 7digital application was looking nice and that PB apps are going to be nice. I tweeted this because I knew a video was coming that would allow you guys a sneak peek. Here's the sneak peek--> BlackBerry PlayBook Apps: 7digital Music Store and BlackBerry Podcasts �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog
    sf49ers, anthonybaker and Machzy like this.
    03-09-11 03:41 PM
    03-09-11 03:43 PM
    looks very nice, the integration is tight and this is what blackberry is all about. Also 7Digital beats iTunes to the cloud
    03-09-11 03:48 PM
    Why is 7digital better than iTunes or amazon mp3 ? I don't use any really so I would like see differences. Amazon seems cheaper from what little I have used it.
    03-09-11 04:01 PM
    Why is 7digital better than iTunes or amazon mp3 ? I don't use any really so I would like see differences. Amazon seems cheaper from what little I have used it.
    Problem with Amazon is your music is not stored up in the cloud, if you lose the music on your device you lose it for good with no option to recover and the same goes with sharing of the music from the cloud on to other devices. Also 7digital offers high-quality (320kbps) MP3 tracks compared to amazon's 256kbs. 7digital has 13 million songs compared to amazon's 3 million or so. No iTunes is for obvious reasons and also I doubt if iTunes has a cloud and seem it is in the works.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 03-09-11 at 04:32 PM.
    03-09-11 04:19 PM
    Amazon has 15 million songs but you are right I guess i cant get to songs I downloaded before.
    03-09-11 04:38 PM
    Amazon has 15 million songs but you are right I guess i cant get to songs I downloaded before.
    That's not true at all. You can absolutely redownload a song you previously bought from Amazon. It's right there in your order history. You have to go through customer service, but they will always let you do it.
    Last edited by rbenjamin; 03-09-11 at 04:47 PM.
    03-09-11 04:44 PM
    I checked online for my previous orders and while I found the order there was no download again option. I sure you could contact customers service but that is a hassle
    03-09-11 05:00 PM
    Wait, so it's OK for the PB to be tied to 7digital and DM to sync your preowned music to, but if you use an iOS device and are tied to iTunes it sucks?

Help me out... am I misunderstanding something here?

But on a more serious note, can you just put mp3 music on this thing via mass storage mode and say F U to the sync crap via DM?
    03-09-11 08:57 PM
    Yes, you are misunderstanding many things.
    Machzy likes this.
    03-09-11 09:00 PM
    Yes and it's not tied to 7. You won't have to launch 7 to get your PB to work. It's an option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 09:01 PM
    I thought PB was an enterprise device. or is it a consumer device? Can we get a clarification from rimm's outgoing Marketing head?
    03-09-11 09:02 PM
    Well, Dutch, since you're *so* interested in the PB, why don't you watch some vids or read their website so that you would know that they are appealing to both.

03-09-11 09:04 PM
    Enterprise and consumer, best of both worlds. That's one of the reasons I like RIM because they offer you options.

03-09-11 09:07 PM
    Well, Dutch, since you're *so* interested in the PB, why don't you watch some vids or read their website so that you would know that they are appealing to both.

BAZINGA
    03-09-11 09:09 PM

greg, but I thought the reason that rimm has decided to cripple the pb in key areas was because CIOs want control. Do they want music stores too?
    03-09-11 09:10 PM
    Yes and it's not tied to 7. You won't have to launch 7 to get your PB to work. It's an option.

Hahaha, so because you use iTunes to do an activation of the device, all of a sudden it's required every day in your minds? And I'm pretty sure I didn't say the PB needs to be tied to 7digital to function. But it sounds like they're putting in ties for "music purchases" to 7digital. Also, DM is still required for media syncing (if mass storage mode won't be supported for whatever reason), which inturn is no different the iTunes being needed for iDevice syncing. (i.e. DM=iTunes) That's all I'm saying...
    03-09-11 09:23 PM
    I wonder if TiPb would allow some of us to be moderators on that site....
    03-09-11 09:27 PM
    Hahaha, so because you use iTunes to do an activation of the device, all of a sudden it's required every day in your minds? And I'm pretty sure I didn't say the PB needs to be tied to 7digital to function. But it sounds like they're putting in ties for "music purchases" to 7digital. Also, DM is still required for media syncing (if mass storage mode won't be supported for whatever reason), which inturn is no different the iTunes being needed for iDevice syncing. (i.e. DM=iTunes) That's all I'm saying...
    iTunes is required to update the iPad and put music/videos from the computer on, the PlayBook doesn't require DM to update or do that.

Mass Storage Mode has also been confirmed for the PlayBook,

More BlackBerry PlayBook Features Confirmed – GPS Mass Storage Mode and More - BerryReview

With that and BlackBerry Protect or similar program, technically the PlayBook doesn't need any computer programs at all.
    03-09-11 09:27 PM
    All joking aside, apple is completely controlling. I understand being ok with that but arguing that it isn't the case is off in my opinion. I stopped using iTunes because of this fact a couple years ago. If I were embracing the apple ecosystem then I wouldn't care as much but I'm not. That's my 2 cents and so on.
    03-09-11 09:33 PM
    On a side note, what is more pathetic than being a troll? Is it being a troll who has been ignored for weeks but keeps coming back meekly trying to incite attention? Dutch? Which feels more empty?
    03-09-11 09:36 PM
    Wait, so it's OK for the PB to be tied to 7digital and DM to sync your preowned music to, but if you use an iOS device and are tied to iTunes it sucks?

Help me out... am I misunderstanding something here?

But on a more serious note, can you just put mp3 music on this thing via mass storage mode and say F U to the sync crap via DM?
    Yes, you are completely misunderstanding it. They are just demo'ing an app. A music download app. I have the 7digital app on my Storm2. I also have the Amazon MP3 app on my Storm2. Nothing is "tied" to anything here. And no, you don't need DM to sync if you'd just prefer to do it manually.

grover5 and Machzy like this.
    03-09-11 10:24 PM
    The qaulity is awesome. I'm not an mp3 downloader or buy anything from anyone due to the poor qaulity. But 320kbs might just make me a memeber of 7digital.

Thanks for the info.

Problem with Amazon is your music is not stored up in the cloud, if you lose the music on your device you lose it for good with no option to recover and the same goes with sharing of the music from the cloud on to other devices. Also 7digital offers high-quality (320kbps) MP3 tracks compared to amazon's 256kbs. 7digital has 13 million songs compared to amazon's 3 million or so. No iTunes is for obvious reasons and also I doubt if iTunes has a cloud and seem it is in the works.
    03-09-11 10:36 PM
    greg, but I thought the reason that rimm has decided to cripple the pb in key areas was because CIOs want control. Do they want music stores too?
    Enterprise and consumers will have acsess to different layers of the PB ...once it goes through IT a lot of cpabilities can be made N/A ....very flexible

One trend I have noticed is the Titans of media/app community are staking a big claim on the PB....they wouldn't be leveraging such vast support/investment unless they saw a winner in the platform....and some of the announced partnerships are just that "huge" ....I have a feeling that the limitations of ios are going to be exposed en masse in due course.

I for one see the apple ecosystem as a fragmented experience due to having many apps make up for where the experience/os architecture lacks.....I shouldn't need an app for everything....apps should be a last resort and not crtical to getting things done.....I don't need an" app for that" on my pc....why do I need one on my phone? I like where rim is going with super apps....which are essentialy the equivallent to desktop programs! Support for an ecosytem within an app...that's how I see their take on super apps...and I like that

Lol....rim should trademark..."You don't need an app for that"

Dumbed down os such as ios.....or mobile platform performance upped to replicate desktop performance in qnx.....I choose qnx

Sorry for the rant....just tired of all the propaganda and narrow minded media reports as of late....hit this one out of the park Rim and restore some sanity and remind the industry who's boss! Lol

Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-09-11 at 11:03 PM.
    gregerator and Machzy like this.
    03-09-11 11:00 PM
    Enterprise and consumers will have acsess to different layers of the PB ...once it goes through IT a lot of cpabilities can be made N/A ....very flexible

One trend I have noticed is the Titans of media/app community are staking a big claim on the PB....they wouldn't be leveraging such vast support/investment unless they saw a winner in the platform....and some of the announced partnerships are just that "huge" ....I have a feeling that the limitations of ios are going to be exposed en masse in due course.

I for one see the apple ecosystem as a fragmented experience due to having many apps make up for where the experience/os architecture lacks.....I shouldn't need an app for everything....apps should be a last resort and not crtical to getting things done.....I don't need an" app for that" on my pc....why do I need one on my phone? I like where rim is going with super apps....which are essentialy the equivallent to desktop programs! Support for an ecosytem within an app...that's how I see their take on super apps...and I like that

Lol....rim should trademark..."You don't need an app for that"

Dumbed down os such as ios.....or mobile platform performance upped to replicate desktop performance in qnx.....I choose qnx

Sorry for the rant....just tired of all the propaganda and narrow minded media reports as of late....hit this one out of the park Rim and restore some sanity and remind the industry who's boss! Lol

I wouldn't say it was a rant, more statement of truth in a o-snap format.
    03-09-11 11:11 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD