Honestly, really like the playbook but the battery life sucks, I get about 4 hrs after being charged all night.
    12-08-12 09:05 AM
    You're going to get widely differing views about web browsing on the Playbook from these forums. In my experience, browsing on the playbook is dismal. The browser is very laggy, has a major "checker boarding" problem and in general is just not a good experience. For me, some important websites also do not even work properly.

Gotta agree with this. Browsing is slow.

You'll hear people say "but it's got flash, so it's the best". Then you'll hear other people say "it's laggy because of flash, just turn off flash". Really, I think you should find a display model Playbook and try out the web browser. If it's tolerable for you, then you'll probably be fine with a Playbook. Otherwise, stay away.
    I say, be patient and wait for BB10 improvements. For the price one pays for the PB and with new improvements coming with BB10, it will pay off.
    12-12-12 04:55 PM
    I just happen to have 2 Playbooks a rooted then un-rooted Kindle Fire and a rooted Nexus 7.

The kid in me loves the nexus 7 it has so many games and widgets, voice search is very cool as well as the live wallpapers.

The Kindle Fire that I un-rooted is great for a beginner because it just works out of the box. (Giving it to an 11 year old I know for x-mas)

The PlayBook is much like a little home PC in the way that it displays web content, I hate mobile web pages on the Nexus 7 and the Kindle.
    The finger gesture's on the playbook is just sooooo much better than always having to push a button to wake the device up to go to home screens. How long will that button last???
    I also hate the control bar on Android and the small desktop that creates.
    The biggest negative about the fire and the nexus is the lack of two forward firing speakers. The sound that comes out of the playbook when playing games like asphalt 6 is just awesome and unforegetable
    The nexus does have a nice usb port, seems deeper and less wiggle but I love the fact that the PlayBook has the 3 pin charging port so I almost never use the usb anymore.
    The battery on my Playbook doing the same type of things seems to last a little longer because all of those widgets and live wallpapers that hog the battery on the nexus.
    The Playbook is heavy compared to the nexus and it feels like you could break it in half with little trouble.

I'm keeping my PlayBook but I will always have some kind of used cheap rooted android device so I can get the free games and apps that I have been converting over to use on my Playbook.

UPDATE ...........

I returned the Nexus 7 and here is why...........
    After you eat all of the sweet games and apps the poor quality and feel of the device in your hand makes you so sick that you just have to throw up.

The device has hard edges that just do not feel good in your hand, the silver bezel that appears to be painted on just looks cheap and that paint will wear off some day and then it will look like sh_t . When you hold the device the way it was made to be used (portrait) there is just not enough bezel to hold comfortably and if you palm it your hand gets cramped after a short time. The nexus feels like if you were to drop it out of you hand onto a tablet from 5 or 6 inches that the back would crack or pop off.
    Holding the Nexus 7 made me feel like I downgraded.

Google’s version of Jelly bean 4.2.1 is not very customizable. No built in flash support.

I finally just moved into the 21st century and purchased an HD flat panel TV and the nexus does not have an HDMI connection.

I was out in my car and saw a rare albino squirrel and could not take a photo or an hd 1080P video with it. (moment lost)

I’m a worry wart and I just can’t get over the fact that if my USB port gets damaged or stops working I would not be able to charge the device with an alternative charging method and as a worrier I also can’t get over the fact that I have to always push that power button to wake it up. You know that’s going to wear out and then what.

I already have extra Playbook cases, covers, screen protectors and fast chargers that I would have to re-purchase and spend more money on for the nexus accessoies.

My wife’s favorite games (Chimpact & Fly Kiwi Fly) are not in the play store. (Not a good thing)

I would have to re-purchase splashtop remote, deathworm, grave defense, deversion and asphalt 6.

SO I RETURNED IT, and I can honestly say I don’t really miss it.

kbz1960 and Creaulx like this.
    12-13-12 11:10 AM
    If you go back to Currys now,you will find the PlayBook 64GB for 129 pounds. I got mine 2 weeks ago from PC World and also got the genuine BlackBerry leather case for 50% off a no brainer and I delighted with it!
    12-13-12 01:19 PM
    The 64 GB PB for 129 pounds sounds like a pretty good deal...
    12-13-12 01:28 PM
    UPDATE ...........

After you eat all of the sweet games and apps the poor quality and feel of the device in your hand makes you so sick that you just have to throw up.

The device has hard edges that just do not feel good in your hand, the silver bezel that appears to be painted on just looks cheap and that paint will wear off some day and then it will look like sh_t . When you hold the device the way it was made to be used (portrait) there is just not enough bezel to hold comfortably and if you palm it your hand gets cramped after a short time. The nexus feels like if you were to drop it out of you hand onto a tablet from 5 or 6 inches that the back would crack or pop off.

Google’s version of Jelly bean 4.2.1 is not very customizable. No built in flash support.

I finally just moved into the 21st century and purchased an HD flat panel TV and the nexus does not have an HDMI connection.

I was out in my car and saw a rare albino squirrel and could not take a photo or an hd 1080P video with it. (moment lost)

I’m a worry wart and I just can’t get over the fact that if my USB port gets damaged or stops working I would not be able to charge the device with an alternative charging method and as a worrier I also can’t get over the fact that I have to always push that power button to wake it up. You know that’s going to wear out and then what.

I already have extra Playbook cases, covers, screen protectors and fast chargers that I would have to re-purchase and spend more money on for the nexus accessoies.

My wife’s favorite games (Chimpact & Fly Kiwi Fly) are not in the play store. (Not a good thing)

I would have to re-purchase splashtop remote, deathworm, grave defense, deversion and asphalt 6.

I had been in the same position as you and i made the same decision. I cannot say that i miss N7 all that much.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...us-7-a-755488/

If i look back at my choice i think the biggest deal breaker on Nexus 7 is Android's control bar. For a small screen like that it just takes too much space in my opinion. I find this funny that Playbook Android player has option to hide this bar and yet the latest and greatest Android 4.2 still does not let to do the same. i guess this is not that Google engineers are "stupid" but because physically this cannot be done on Android unless swipe functions are implemented or Android gets ugly ios home button. Anyways, lets home more people will see Playbook for what it is one great tablet for dirty cheap money. I strongly feel that this is not the end of playbook. I think that Rim will come out with new true playbook2 next year after bb10 is introduced. Playbook that rim will not loose money on because it will be redesign from ground up with bb10 integration in mind and less production cost. I know it can be done.
    12-13-12 01:39 PM
    I'm of the 'go to the store and try them both out' variety. They both have strengths and weaknesses and you have to see how well each meets your needs relative to what you want to do with a tablet.

I like my PlayBook fine and I liked my friend's Nexus 7 when I tried it. But I'm a geek who just likes gadgets.
    bitek likes this.
    12-13-12 01:48 PM
    Honestly, really like the playbook but the battery life sucks, I get about 4 hrs after being charged all night.
    Do you have Bluetooth always on?
    12-13-12 01:48 PM
    UPDATE ...........

Google�s version of Jelly bean 4.2.1 is not very customizable. No built in flash support.

I�m a worry wart and I just can�t get over the fact that if my USB port gets damaged or stops working I would not be able to charge the device with an alternative charging method and as a worrier I also can�t get over the fact that I have to always push that power button to wake it up. You know that�s going to wear out and then what.

My wife�s favorite games (Chimpact & Fly Kiwi Fly) are not in the play store. (Not a good thing)

SO I RETURNED IT, and I can honestly say I don�t really miss it.

that was a pretty quick chqnge of heart and a damning rebuttal. Id like to add a couple of points for balance.

I am yet to feel nauseous by the stylings of the n7, nor do I think anyone else has either (excepting yourself), but I certainly agree that the build quality between that and the pb are significantly different. the pb is quite a bit heavier, far less tactile, and less comfortable to hold, but it is quite frankly the sturdiest tablet I've held (including the ipad).

also, pb has the finest speakers of any tablet I've used. the size and portability of the form factor makes the pb camera/video an interesting and usable proposition for squirrel recording, alongside the quality of its capture in good light. the lack of a rear camera is, in hindsight, a hindrance to the n7.

the pb has essentially zero customisation beyond wallpapers/moving icons. it has flash as standard, but the browser is actually punching so far below its weight that it struggles to utilise this plus point (and the javascript debate continues to lumber on). the n7 handles flash at least as well, quite possibly better, by using firefox browser and loading flash manually.

the n7 has no hdmi out. I am yet to use it on the playbook as the only way I shall have anything worth utilising it for is by dl a bluray torrent (no pb support for that, though).

I do love gestures to wake, even if it does take a number of attempts at times, and pressing a button could well lead to damage over time. I might worry about the volume keys on the pb, though. the charging issue is a little funny given the pb history, and n7pogo pin docks are imminent.

so, I kept both. the pb is an inexpensive, good quality media player that I give to my 5year old to use (she also uses my n7, but the pb is more disposable while also sturdy) as it fits more films on it. games she plays on my phone or n7... and, wow, id have to repurchase them for the pb (most aren't available... hohum)
    the pb is a groovy little device with big memory at a very low price (now). it's not really in the same league as the n7,but it does well for its age. bb10 might make a big difference, but unless it really beefs up the browser capability, which the pb relies upon and is currently below standard,the pb is unlikely to progress much further than a media player with a little extra.
    12-13-12 02:11 PM
    the pb is a groovy little device with big memory at a very low price (now). it's not really in the same league as the n7,but it does well for its age. bb10 might make a big difference, but unless it really beefs up the browser capability, which the pb relies upon and is currently below standard,the pb is unlikely to progress much further than a media player with a little extra.
    I have to disagree...the PB as a whole lot more than a mere media player. The HDMI output is indispensable, in my opinion, and I love using the PB for classroom presentations I make. Further, the ability to bridge to my 9900 allows me to control the presentation from anywhere in the room. The N7 may have a few better specs, but in overall performance, I feel the PB nails it.

In the end, it IS about preference, as every tablet has its pros and cons.
    12-13-12 02:56 PM
    I have to disagree...the PB as a whole lot more than a mere media player. The HDMI output is indispensable, in my opinion, and I love using the PB for classroom presentations I make. Further, the ability to bridge to my 9900 allows me to control the presentation from anywhere in the room. The N7 may have a few better specs, but in overall performance, I feel the PB nails it.

In the end, it IS about preference, as every tablet has its pros and cons.
    to be fair, I likely overdid the media player angle. it has more, for sure, but this is how it has become most useful to me in the present circumstances.

I lecture at universities and have been intrigued by the presentation aspect, but it never crosses my mind to use it as carrying an hdmi cable and assuming there exists an appropriate connection is more hassle than a simple usb stick/dropbox account. nevertheless, I shall try it next semester. I like the remote aspect of a bb phone for this also, but not enough to have one, and the same goes for bridge.
    specs are important in certain ways, and the pb is no slouch and aging quite well (and so it should be, considering the original price point) but when it comes to overall performance, I wonder whether you're also using an n7.
    12-13-12 03:17 PM
    The speaker is another reason not to keep the nexus. Playbook speakers blow it away.

I'm not saying that the Playbook is the best I'm just saying the nexus is not for me.
    bitek likes this.
    12-13-12 04:47 PM
    I'm of the 'go to the store and try them both out' variety. They both have strengths and weaknesses and you have to see how well each meets your needs relative to what you want to do with a tablet.

I like my PlayBook fine and I liked my friend's Nexus 7 when I tried it. But I'm a geek who just likes gadgets.
    no shame. we are all geeks here.
    Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-14-12 03:02 PM
    that was a pretty quick chqnge of heart and a damning rebuttal. Id like to add a couple of points for balance.

I am yet to feel nauseous by the stylings of the n7, nor do I think anyone else has either (excepting yourself), but I certainly agree that the build quality between that and the pb are significantly different. the pb is quite a bit heavier, far less tactile, and less comfortable to hold, but it is quite frankly the sturdiest tablet I've held (including the ipad).

also, pb has the finest speakers of any tablet I've used. the size and portability of the form factor makes the pb camera/video an interesting and usable proposition for squirrel recording, alongside the quality of its capture in good light. the lack of a rear camera is, in hindsight, a hindrance to the n7.

the pb has essentially zero customisation beyond wallpapers/moving icons. it has flash as standard, but the browser is actually punching so far below its weight that it struggles to utilise this plus point (and the javascript debate continues to lumber on). the n7 handles flash at least as well, quite possibly better, by using firefox browser and loading flash manually.

the n7 has no hdmi out. I am yet to use it on the playbook as the only way I shall have anything worth utilising it for is by dl a bluray torrent (no pb support for that, though).

I do love gestures to wake, even if it does take a number of attempts at times, and pressing a button could well lead to damage over time. I might worry about the volume keys on the pb, though. the charging issue is a little funny given the pb history, and n7pogo pin docks are imminent.

so, I kept both. the pb is an inexpensive, good quality media player that I give to my 5year old to use (she also uses my n7, but the pb is more disposable while also sturdy) as it fits more films on it. games she plays on my phone or n7... and, wow, id have to repurchase them for the pb (most aren't available... hohum)
    I agree with your assessment to certsin degree. I like nexus. it is good tablet and I think the price is fair. however I just spend too much time with gadgets and I just do not see myself having one more in my home. playbook is good enough for me and frankly nexus 7 was not good enough to sell playbook and keep nexus 7.

12-14-12 03:07 PM
    UPDATE ...........

Google's version of Jelly bean 4.2.1 is not very customizable. No built in flash support.

You have to throw up? really...exaggerating a bit much i think

Not customizable? Its a pure google device. You can customize it to your hearts content with no bounds practically. Statements like this make me wonder if you actually even had the device.

Flash can be sideload just by downloading the apk and installing it. Its even easier than sideload on a PB.

You might not like the device but you dont need to make up stuff just to trash another product.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-14-12 03:10 PM
    You have to throw up? really...exaggerating a bit much i think

Not customizable? Its a pure google device. You can customize it to your hearts content with no bounds practically. Statements like this make me wonder if you actually even had the device.

Flash can be sideload just by downloading the apk and installing it. Its even easier than sideload on a PB.

You might not like the device but you dont need to make up stuff just to trash another product.
    to be perfectly honest android tablets are highly customizeable with widgets,live wall papers etc. As of now Playbook really looks more like ios without ugly home button. Nexus 7 is great device in many ways. Fast, screen is just great and google apps work like a charm on it. 4.2 is big improvement over 4.0 in my opinion. But i just do not see need to have both tablets and N7 is not that much better to get rid off playbook at least for me. I am not planning to sell my blackberry phone and playbook with blackerry is a better device than N7 by itself. Howerver, N7 with 3G support for $309CAN is really great price. Especially considering how expensive Playbook LTE is. I would love to have Playbook LTE. It seems that thing is just faster because of new CPU and LTE.
    12-18-12 12:29 PM
    You're going to get widely differing views about web browsing on the Playbook from these forums. In my experience, browsing on the playbook is dismal. The browser is very laggy, has a major "checker boarding" problem and in general is just not a good experience. For me, some important websites also do not even work properly.

You'll hear people say "but it's got flash, so it's the best". Then you'll hear other people say "it's laggy because of flash, just turn off flash". Really, I think you should find a display model Playbook and try out the web browser. If it's tolerable for you, then you'll probably be fine with a Playbook. Otherwise, stay away.
    I had some of these issues before I updated, browser works great now.
    01-14-13 04:15 PM
    I had some of these issues before I updated, browser works great now.
    Not for me. Still checkerboards too much. I leave javascript off most of the time and it zooms. But I shouldn't have to do that ...
    howarmat likes this.
    01-14-13 04:20 PM
    specs are important in certain ways, and the pb is no slouch and aging quite well (and so it should be, considering the original price point) but when it comes to overall performance, I wonder whether you're also using an n7.
    I am not, but have used a 10" Toshiba that worked well...I just prefer the Playbook overall....size...UI....it feels better for me, and bridges with my Bold well.
    01-17-13 01:44 AM
    I am not, but have used a 10" Toshiba that worked well...I just prefer the Playbook overall....size...UI....it feels better for me, and bridges with my Bold well.
    That Toshiba is HUGE. Total overkill in my opinion. How long can you hold iti n your both hands without them going numb ?

01-18-13 04:10 AM
45 12